Questions for Emt, rookies and seasoned professionals and everyone in between.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
1.My friend Murphy is laughing at you.

2 I should apply your logic to auto insurance

3. I seem to remember the patient first, rhetoric.
Having to purchase medical equipment is ludicrous, the only thing i've paid for out of pocket were uniform items and such. I'm not sure if the agency you work for is under funded and under equipped, or you are a new, enthusiastic EMT and you are trying to justify you purchases. I honestly suspect the latter. Nevertheless, you have the right to spend your money however you want. Personally, I am able to provide good patient care with the equipment I am provided, and I have tuition, bills, and a significant other to spend my paycheck on.

Also, tell Murphy I said hi.

Daniel G

Forum Crew Member
Does a mechanic not have his own tools?

Your answer:

Only new/inexperienced and enthusiastic mechanics buy their own tools.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude

Your answer:

Car insurance now mechanics. I'm assuming you're into cars...

Like I said, you do what you want with your money. I'll do what I want with mine. I have no purpose for personal medical equipment nor can I think of a situation where it would be useful to anyone else, and I personally don't know anyone who totes around their own automated bp cuff or pulse ox. But if you want to do that, power to you.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Didn't you read, Dan? I said you can do what you want. This went way off topic- if it makes you feel better, you have won the argument. Heres this to make it official:

image.gif

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My stethoscope is the only I purchased that is used for patient care, and I could use what work provides. Legitimate places do in fact provide everything you need to do your job, and the better ones might actually give you the good stuff.

But I'm sure you have some parable on how that is not so, along with the experience to go with it.

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
You should join the military. Youd be a perfect garrison medic. Theyd love you. Consider it.

I don't think you mention the military in enough of your posts, perhaps you should mention it a bit more.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
My stethoscope was gifted to me for graduating high school. Its pretty much the only work related thing that I prefer over supplied items. Littmann is a great brand and the Cardiology 3 is what I'm rocking. As far as b/p cuffs and pulse oximeters are provided by my company. You don't really need your own, its honestly a waste of money in my opinion. I choose to rock my own at work just because we have crappy ones, but I can auscultate a b/p with the crappy ones if I need to.

For posting (95% of the job) a Kindle Fire goes a long way to fight boredom. Or you could get something non work related.

Daniel G

Forum Crew Member
. Legitimate places do in fact provide everything you need to do your job, and the better ones might actually give you the good stuff.

I really believe you. But i havent experienced it yet with these private "EMS Taxi's".
I don't think you mention the military in enough of your posts, perhaps you should mention it a bit more.

Im ignorant. I dont know any better/worst. My philisophy in practice is different, thats all.

nightmoves123

Forum Crew Member
I really believe you. But i havent experienced it yet with these private "EMS Taxi's".

Im ignorant. I dont know any better/worst

On the one hand everything you type is about your military experience and the other is you're too stupid to know any better? Two things should have been ingrained into you- humility and professionalism. I would suggest you try engaging those to maintain some form of standards if you are now a civilian.

Daniel G

Forum Crew Member
On the one hand everything you type is about your military experience and the other is you're too stupid to know any better? Two things should have been ingrained into you- humility and professionalism. I would suggest you try engaging those to maintain some form of standards if you are now a civilian.

Fine. I'll be nicer.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Your answer:

Years ago, one of the guys I lived with worked as a disel mechanic, and he told me all professional mechanics bring their own tool boxes to work when they get hired. They are left at their station and locked to prevent unauthorized borrowing, but it's fair to say that you are incorrect, a mechanic does bring his own tools to work. and if you want to dispute my statement, feel free to check out these links:

http://forums.mtbr.com/tooltime/q-shop-mechanics-you-requested-supply-your-own-tools-890827.html
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2015/05/08/3656610/mechanics-wages/
https://www.reddit.com/r/JRITSloung..._are_mechanics_required_to_provide_their_own/

Summit

Critical Crazy
In healthcare, a Stethoscope is traditionally the only piece a personal piece of equipment for a provider (probably to do with not wanting to share ear wax), although most services and hospitals provide basic ones. Docs may also have an otoscope.

It is not uncommon to own a BP cuff and maybe even a pulse ox, but you can't bring these to work and use them without a biomed sticker.

A surgeon certainly doesn't bring their own scalpel to work.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Nor should anyone use any equipment that hasn't been certified by the department's biomedical agency. The liability of using your own freelance equipment is huge and would result in immediate termination if discovered by the hospital service I work for.

It is 100% expected that the department will provide any and all equipment that I may need to provide patient care, up to and including a stethoscope.

Daniel G

Forum Crew Member
I feel like im gonna get sniped for anything i say, but this is just my perspective.

When i have to scoop up patients, it serves me with purpose when it works. Id say 1/4 of the time they dont work. A large portion of my crowd has terrible circulation. But its very easy to come in, make eye contact, put a finger in a pulse ox, put an auto bp, bring in the stryker, get in position, transfer the patient, grab face sheets and history, start moving. Somewhere in the middle of that, look at the El Cheapo's and see if theres anything. Dont ever use that as a primary first set. Your getting reassed anyway in the rig with the rigs equipment.

Daniel G

Forum Crew Member
If your in a hospital especially an ED , you certanly use their equip hands down. I mean the mechanic thing because i view being an ambulance medic(thats not a bad thing) is very blue collar like a carpenter, mechanic, a health technician. With the exception of cath lab and RT guys

A private surgeon own his own tools.

Daniel G

Forum Crew Member
If your in a hospital especially an ED , you certanly use their equip hands down. If theyre on the facilities autos, those work very well. I mean the mechanic thing because i view being an ambulance medic(thats not a bad thing) is very blue collar like a carpenter, mechanic, a health technician. With the exception of cath lab and RT guys

A private surgeon own his own tools.

Daniel G

Forum Crew Member

LoL,....
Calls me too stupid in one sentence, then comes at me like the forum police about humility and professionalism. Like this forum is the company email or something.
Hilarity Ensues