Question re: Hiring EMT's

HR_JLara

Forum Ride Along
My company is in need of hiring 8 EMT's who also have valid CA Guard Cards, CA Exposed Firearm Permit, etc...

My question is does my company need to aquire any particular licencses, insurance etc. in order for the EMT's to work with us?

If anyone has any references or information that would be extremely helpful.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
Unless your EMT's are working under the direction of a doctor who is your medical director all they will be able to perform is basic first aid which anyone could do so I dont think you would need any special insurance for that but I could be wrong. If you do have a medical director and the EMTs will be performing more advanced procedures yes you will for sure need some insurance to cover any accidents that may occur during patient contact and also maybe some sort of malpractice insurance. Not to mention the insane amount of insurance you are going to need if they are armed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sounds like your doing security? One option for a medical director would be to approach your local 911 provider about the possibility of their medical director overseeing your employees as well. That can open up a whole new can of worms though with insurance and hiring processes.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Actually, remembering something I read from our resident private service owner in CA (looker) in CA BLS services don't actually need a medical director. One more retardation of the CA EMS system

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Actually, remembering something I read from our resident private service owner in CA (looker) in CA BLS services don't actually need a medical director. One more retardation of the CA EMS system

I'd have a lawyer find out if this is factual or not. Not doubting you but something like this can have severe consequences for the employer and employee.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I think a lot of it would depend on your definition of BLS. In some states BLS is just first aid in others it seems to be quite a bit more. Try talking to a private security company and asking if they have any security guards who are also basics/first responders, or talk to local law enforcement and see if they have any cross trained officers who moonlight. Both are more expensive options but then the insurance/liability is on them and not you.

JPINFV

Gadfly
My company is in need of hiring 8 EMT's who also have valid CA Guard Cards, CA Exposed Firearm Permit, etc...

My question is does my company need to aquire any particular licencses, insurance etc. in order for the EMT's to work with us?

If anyone has any references or information that would be extremely helpful.

Your best bet would be to contact your Local Emergency Medical Services Agency ("County EMS") and ask them.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Why? Is it really any better or worse than all of the absentee medical directors out there? I worked for 6 months for a BLS company in Massachusetts and never did met, or really learn the name, of the service's medical director.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Why? Is it really any better or worse than all of the absentee medical directors out there? I worked for 6 months for a BLS company in Massachusetts and never did met, or really learn the name, of the service's medical director.

Good point.