Question about Consent...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
We have to get signatures for billing too. Either from the pt, a designated representative, or someone at the hospital.

I go with the idea that if they don't tell me to F-off when I approach them, I have consent to assess. Beyond that if the pt is able to understand what is going on I will explain what I'm about to do, ie. I'm going to poke your finger with a little needle to check how much sugar is in your blood, ok?". If the pt says no or wants more explanation I go from there.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
"Hello there sir/ma'am, I'm Jeff from <city> Ambulance, is it OK if I ask you some questions and try to help out some?"

I've never really worried about consent, if they've called 911 and appear injured I'm pretty sure that they've consented. The only time I worry is if they're obviously crowded by bystanders and not knowing what's going on. I'll ask the bystanders to please step back and then "I'm Jeff and I'm an EMT, would you like some help?"

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Also, as others said, I verbalize almost everything I'm doing.

"I'm going to take your pulse. While I'm doing that, describe the <pain, medical history, how your day went etc>"

I also tell them the results of their vitals and what it means.

Nothing I hate more than going to see my doc or being in the ER and they run tests, silently, then vanish.

"Ok Mr Patient, your blood pressure is 197 over 100 which is a bit on the high side. Do you have a history of high blood pressure?"

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
So the San Jose instructors are saying/teaching that you don't have to ask for consent when arriving at the patient?
That you don't have to, but it's okay to ask if do. Like others have said, they assume consent unless the patient stops them, and to keep the patient updated on what you're doing.