Question about assisted ventilations

SMC

Forum Probie
Dnr ?

DNR ?

Without being on scene, but with the information provided I would have assisted the patient with ventilations.

This is a sentence to make my post not so short. LOL

DocHoliday

Forum Probie
Better safe

better safe then sorry. I agree with ravermedic you do need to be on sceane but you can bag someone if you suspect some thing

Ravamedic

Forum Probie
If the patient is overbreathing or under breathing you'll need to assist them.

Pt presentation will let you know exactly what is required - if the pt is breathing at >30bpm but is allert and orientated then they are perfusing well and their acid/base balance is is not effecting cognitive function so I will choose to put them on a partial or non rebreather!

If they have arn't completely altert and over or underbreathing I will use the BMV and assist them to get air in and out so that all form of respiration are getting carried out effectively

They might be getting air in but are they expelling enough Co2?

What is the tidal volume?

What is their skin colour, temperature and condition?

By assisting with your BMV you are ensuring they are getting enough air in, the Co2 is being expelled - so start to use your BMV and then monitor the patient as you would for every drug and monitor them for the desired effect - the desired effect of BMV is to assist with external, internal and cellular respiration!

And you may notice its effectiveness where?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
DNR ?

This is a sentence to make my post not so short. LOL

Do - Not - Rescusitate term used in some places for pts with an advance directive that they do not wish to be revived.

Ravamedic

Forum Probie
Not wanting to change the subject but in Australia we cannot comply with A DNR unless the Doctor is with us on scene.

Bit of trivia for ya!

DocHoliday

Forum Probie
Really??

Not wanting to change the subject but in Australia we cannot comply with A DNR unless the Doctor is with us on scene.

Bit of trivia for ya!

Really?? How many times does a Doc role on scence? We have to have the DNR on scene. When taking a PT I always make sure we have it. and when i don't know I will continue until a base hospitol tells me to stop. Better safe then sorry. I would rather get sued for doing something then not doing something. One could lead to Life the other leads to death.

Ravamedic

Forum Probie
Really?? How many times does a Doc role on scence? We have to have the DNR on scene. When taking a PT I always make sure we have it. and when i don't know I will continue until a base hospitol tells me to stop. Better safe then sorry. I would rather get sued for doing something then not doing something. One could lead to Life the other leads to death.

I've never had the Dr arrive before we have departed - I'm not sure if they where even attending. I have not actually started a resus as each time they have been well and truly dead - or just after some pain releif and transport. But if they did arrest in my truck - I'd have to intervene.

IrishMedic

Forum Crew Member
as an EMT-B, i'd go with what you said.... i mean we are taught in class if Px is breathing more than 20 or less than 12 consider assisted ventilations, check vitals, and it sounds like the Px in the scenario needed it, theres a lot of talk of advanced care stuff in this forum, and as a trainee Paramedic, i can understand their side, but its based on a EMT-B giving treatment...nice one on picking it up..

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
from what I've heard, I'd have to go with what everyone else has been saying in this thread. The man does not have adequate respirations, thus I would help with a BVM. (guess my post is kinda useless then :p)