Question about a rhythm

awhiting

Forum Crew Member
I work for a bls volunteer FD. We ran a call the other day and I saw an "odd" rhythm when the medics hooked up the pt. Here's what happened:

pt was drinking rum and took 6 ambien. bp was 140/72, HR was around 60. He was pretty out of it lying supine on the kitchen floor... but was able to talk to us just fine for the most part and was able to walk out if the house down some stairs (w/ assistance) to the medics gurney.

When the medics hooked him up to the EKG i noticed that everything looked sinus for the most part but everyonce in awhile pt would have a run of qrs complex's that were missing p waves.

Just curious if this is a possible side effect of too much ambien or what....or if anyone has seen anything like it before.

Wish I had a pic of the strip....but I don't :)

Thanks

Aaron

Epi-do

I see dead people
Without being able to see the strip, it is hard to say for sure. If I had to guess, it sounds like PVCs, which can be caused by lots of different things.

OP
OP
A

awhiting

Forum Crew Member
Without being able to see the strip, it is hard to say for sure. If I had to guess, it sounds like PVCs, which can be caused by lots of different things.

I don't think it was PVCs. The QRS complex was identical to the ones that had the p wave in front. I was thinking some kind of junctional..... but I don't know.... All my experience is med school practice strips:blush:

Epi-do

I see dead people
PJCs then maybe? Do you have any sample strips that look similar?

OP
OP
A

awhiting

Forum Crew Member
I don't have any samples.... but picture a normal sinus rhythm.... going anlong just fine.... then here and there there are runs of these QRS's with no p waves in front....same morphology as the rest of them.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
sorry but without seeing the strip, we're diagnosing in the blind.

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
Was there any kind of pause/delay when these beats followed the normal QRS, or were the R-R intervals consistent the entire time?

-rye

tydek07

Forum Captain
It is very hard to give you an accurate answer without seeing the rhythm. Cardiology is sometimes tricky and un-answerable even when you have a rhythm sheet right in front of you.

Take care,

Last edited by a moderator:

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
It is very hard to give you an accurate answer without seeing the rhythm. Cardiology is sometimes tricky and un-answerable even when you have a rhythm sheet right in front of you.

Take care,

ask 5 different cardiologist what a rhythm is and you'll get 5 different answers :p

like the others said, can't really tell what it is with out the actual strip, sounds like he was going into some sort of junctional rhythm, which can happen with some overdoses, but not sure if it happens with ambien

FLAEMT22

Forum Probie
Sounds like PJCs only going off the normal QRS minus the P-waves. Anything could be possible with this type of drug interaction that affects the CNS.
-----------

Last edited by a moderator: