Putting all patients on stretcher

jemt

Forum Crew Member
So what's everyone's position on transporting pt. on captains chair/bench seat instead of stretcher?

I know people who are strictly against it and others who use it more than the stretcher.

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Unless there is a second patient or a family member along for the ride, the captains chair is for providers only round these parts.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Position of comfort, if they want to sit why not in the captains chair? Always providing they are stable of course...could rename the captains chair as the frequent fliers seat!!! I've transported 2 from an MVA, one on a stretcher and one on captains chair, almost had 3 on that trip (had to check with the supervisor on that but the third decided to take himself to the emergency room - he'd have had to sit on the bench with me).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Honestly it's just easier for me to put everyone on the stretcher. It's easier for me to assess them and take vitals, and then I can retire to the captain's chair to write my PCR if the patient has no further desire to talk to me. Once at the hospital I think it's easier to just wheel them around instead of trying to keep track of a patient in a busy ED. I am more than happy to assist the patient to a wheelchair if that's what the ED would like to do with a patient with a low-priority complaint.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Sometimes patient's don't ride on the stretcher, depending on their preference or their absolute BS status, but that seat is MINE.

The only people who get to sit in that chair are small children who need the seatbelt harness that's built into it. Sometimes there are just no car seats available, and I try really hard to always have the kids restrained properly. Heck- I'd say that those kids probably get absolute BS status, or I'd get out the pedi-mate.

Achilles

Forum Moron
I let my PT's drive, You guys don't do that? :ph34r:

Position of Least discomfort. (saw this in a thread yesterday can't recall who post it but i like)

Shepard

Forum Crew Member
As primarily IFTs obviously all patients on stretchers. From 911 standpoint... I sit in that chair. I would like to limit my exposure to random weird unknown germs and funky patient things as much as possible. There's no sheet on the caps chair. If all pts are on the stretcher its easier to control exposure and easier to disinfect after a call.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
B.s. 911 patients who can walk will be seated on the bench. The cot is for sick people.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
On the gurney. Unless I am transporting more then one person.

Family is up front in the passenger seat.

Patient has to come in on the gurney (unless there is more then one patient). If we get in an accident the first thing said will be "why wasn't he on the gurney?!" More then likely followed up by a lawsuit (there is actually a lawyer in my area who advertises that if you were in an ambulance accident and got hurt to contact him).

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Unless I have more then one patient, they go on the cot. They may walk to the ambulance, but they will ride in the stretcher. Why? Because it's safer for the patient (when buckled in), and it's easier to work around them. I can buckle myself in and still take vitals and face the patient. On the captains chair, vitals require me to squat on the floor.
Also very few people find the position of sitting up with their legs straight uncomfortable. if for some reason they cannot tolerate that position, then we can talk about the captain's chair. For pediatrics its also different, they may end up in the captains chair by virtue of it having a built in carseat.

Anjel

Forum Angel
The only patients that sit are "stable" psychs.

The ones that haven't given the ER any trouble, or the depressed teenagers.

If I even get the slightest funny feeling, they go on the stretcher.

And that applies only to IFT.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
B.s. 911 patients who can walk will be seated on the bench. The cot is for sick people.

Quoted for truth.

Like others have said, the airway chair is mine. Rear facing with a seatbelt vs sideways facing.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Unless I have more then one patient, they go on the cot. They may walk to the ambulance, but they will ride in the stretcher. Why? Because it's safer for the patient (when buckled in), and it's easier to work around them. I can buckle myself in and still take vitals and face the patient. On the captains chair, vitals require me to squat on the floor.
Also very few people find the position of sitting up with their legs straight uncomfortable. if for some reason they cannot tolerate that position, then we can talk about the captain's chair. For pediatrics its also different, they may end up in the captains chair by virtue of it having a built in carseat.

:beerchug:

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
So what's everyone's position on transporting pt. on captains chair/bench seat instead of stretcher?

I know people who are strictly against it and others who use it more than the stretcher.

The Captain's Chair is where my company's onboard child safety seat is. Otherwise it's mine as well... usually.

As far as the cot on all pts thing goes, I'll use the cot on the nonemergent ambulatory when their height, weight, age, past medical history, etc make climbing into the back of the truck impractical.

Load 'em up. Pull 'em out. Put 'em in a wheelchair. Life is good.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
It really depends on your local protocols. Mine state that authorized field personal and patients may sit in the captains chair only while wearing the authorized cardboard burger king crown.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Remember sick v. not sick?

Sick goes on the stretcher(or if they're non ambulatory or for some other reason it's impossible/impractical for them to get in and sit on the bench)

Not sick goes on the bench.

Crybabies who say they need to lay down lay on the stretcher ride on the stretcher, then walk out once we're at the hospital.

Captains chair is for me or my partner(and little ones since we have that fold-out strappy, buckley restrainey thingy).

Nobody rides up front, ever. If we let somebody who isn't a pt ride with us, they go on the bench, not up front

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Remember sick v. not sick?

Sick goes on the stretcher(or if they're non ambulatory or for some other reason it's impossible/impractical for them to get in and sit on the bench)

Not sick goes on the bench.

Crybabies who say they need to lay down lay on the stretcher ride on the stretcher, then walk out once we're at the hospital.

Captains chair is for me or my partner(and little ones since we have that fold-out strappy, buckley restrainey thingy).

Nobody rides up front, ever. If we let somebody who isn't a pt ride with us, they go on the bench, not up front

My what an awesome attitude :rolleyes:

If I thought the majority of providers with this kind of attitude could determine sick vs not sick effectively I'd be a bit less skeptical.

Also, why put non patients on the bench instead of the much safer front seat?

Last edited by a moderator:

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Usalsfyre,
Please, explain your perception of my attitude.

Also, please explain how you judged my assessment skills and clinical decision making, inferring I somehow am incompetent in determining who is 'sick' and 'not sick', or, alternatively, 'B.S. 911' as firecoins stated from a few sentences.