Pt had been on the computer

Doczilla

Forum Captain
Young male. Symptomatic tachycardia, resolved on its own.

He fits the epidemiologic profile for WPW or a similar accessory pathway. Could have had a brief bout of SVT. Only an EP study will tell though.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
I had a guy, right in front of me brady down to 23. I caught it with a 12 lead at 27bpm then it went right back up to the mid 70s.

He was talking right the way through it like nothing had happened.

This guy almost sounds like a panic attack/hyperventilation.

OP
OP
S

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
Did you get an EKG on him at all? Did you happen to exam his feet? Did they appear purple or anything?

No cyanosis, anywhere.

I had a guy, right in front of me brady down to 23. I caught it with a 12 lead at 27bpm then it went right back up to the mid 70s.

He was talking right the way through it like nothing had happened.

This guy almost sounds like a panic attack/hyperventilation.

At 23? Holy :censored::censored::censored::censored:. And if anything he'd been hypoventilating, he wasnt taking quick breaths, they were deep, strong, breaths. But he felt them to be shallow.

Tedmonds2

Forum Ride Along
Synonomous with Deep Vein Thrombosis. Its basically caused by sitting or being inactive for a really long time. Its the reasaon why every time a new game comes out, about 3-4 days later you hear about someone dieing by a pulmonary embolism.

Haha that explains 90% of private ambulance people who post for 12+ hours a day and sit in a small space and don't move.

Lil Medic

Forum Probie
I'd say it was a clot that broke and settled into a PE then re-broke and settled elsewhere that allowed adequate blood flow, with a bad pulse reading? possible drugs but the hospital would find that out later. Otherwise I'd bank on human or device error for the pulse fluctuation. If you think about it that type of rapid change would require massive stimulation from some source that simply wasn't present. but clots seem like the most likely cause to me at least.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Where would the clot have settled the second time?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
His left hip pocket? :cool:

OP
OP
S

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
I'd say it was a clot that broke and settled into a PE then re-broke and settled elsewhere that allowed adequate blood flow, with a bad pulse reading? possible drugs but the hospital would find that out later. Otherwise I'd bank on human or device error for the pulse fluctuation. If you think about it that type of rapid change would require massive stimulation from some source that simply wasn't present. but clots seem like the most likely cause to me at least.

I can assure you there was no human/device error in it. I'm anal about inital vitals, and theres no WAY I'd be able to screw up a pulse, besides on the stupidly high end when your head is like :wacko: trying to count.

Anyway, looks like the result is clots or an acute anxiety attack. Sounds good.

Doczilla

Forum Captain

He fits the epidemiologic profile for WPW or a similar accessory pathway. Could have had a brief bout of SVT. Only an EP study will tell though.

Just curious, why am I the only one thinking this?

Aidey

You're not. This really doesn't fit a PE very well.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

This was my first thought as well. SVT causing hemodynamic instability and then spontaneously converting back to SR. However, in a healthy 20 year old person I wouldnt think 150s would cause that much of a problem unless there was some other underlying problem. But that is just based off personal experience, I have seen many patients remain asymptomatic until closer to 200. Then again every patient is different.

Was he by chance slamming red bulls all day? A sudden change in position can also cause SVT. Did the symptoms start when he was sitting down or after standing up? Sitting there all day causes venous stasis then he stands up all the sudden and does not get an adequate return of blood to the heart so the heart gets pissed off and goes into SVT

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeDocNC

Forum Ride Along
I am not judging the EMT that ran this call just trying to provide good advice. From the description there is no way to rule out drug use because pt could fear getting in trouble so I would have reported to the nurse that pt possibly ETOH. Second with no BP its hard to tell what the heart is really doing and prove SVT without a EKG. As a general rule no matter what the pt looks like I always obtain an SPO2 reading. There are a thousand things that come to mind that could be wrong with this pt but with the info provided I want to lean to some sort of shock. Prolly would have called for ALS with the unstable vital signs.

Aidey

Unless you have a reason beyond "the pt might be lying" to think they have alcohol on board DO NOT tell the nurse that.

Seriously.

Most nursing homes don't allow alcohol. If confused grandma tells you she hasn't been drinking are you still going to assume she might have been and is lying because she doesn't want to get trouble?

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Unless you have a reason beyond "the pt might be lying" to think they have alcohol on board DO NOT tell the nurse that.

Seriously.

Most nursing homes don't allow alcohol. If confused grandma tells you she hasn't been drinking are you still going to assume she might have been and is lying because she doesn't want to get trouble?

+1, you can also get yourself into legal trouble for assuming or reporting that without a probable cause not just "he is a young kid in college". What if you report that you think that patient is ETOH after a car accident just becase it is Friday night and the kid is younger? Then they pull those records for court and you are walking a fine line of getting sued if the patient was not.

There is nothing wrong with reporting the patient has ETOH odor to breath or that bystanders repot patient was drinking but just assuming is a whole mother story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
At some point common sense seems to have been lost. Why would anyone bother to assume drug or alcohol use without some observations pointing towards it? Of course we can't rule anything out completely, but that doesn't mean that it is happening either.

SnakeDocNC

Forum Ride Along
Okay I should have worded it differently. Just because the pt. or room mate said there was no drug use doesnt mean you should not look for evidence of it. I was trying to point out that alot of times when young people are having an overdose or reaction to drugs they will not admit it due to fear of legal trouble. Report to nurse what you saw.