Pt had been on the computer

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
Pt was around 170 lb, 6' male, athletic body, around 20 y/o. Pt was sitting on computer in room air conditioned at 70 degrees farenheit, He had apparently gotten up "every so often" to stretch, walk, grab food, etc. Approximately spent 12 hours on computer that day. No medications taken, no allergies, no injuries during the day (and no head trauma especially), A&Ox3

Upon arrival, Pt complained of tingling in toes, coldness in feet, a sort of hollowness in chest accompained with slight pain, slight SOB, and light-headedness, as well as nausea. PMH was a history of concussions, unknown number, over a period of 5-6 years. BP unavailable, respirations were somewhat shallow and mildly rapid. HR was extremely tachy, around 130-150 BPM. After 1-2 minutes on scene, HR was brady, at around 40-50 BPM with no interventions. PT felt lethargic, breaths returned to normal and regular, nausea persisted but no vomiting occured, and the "hollow feeling" remained aswell.

Transported to hospital, PT said he felt good enough to walk in, but was brought in on the stretcher.
-------------------------------

Okay. What the H:censored::censored::censored: happened with him. I'm completely lost as to how his HR went from ridiculously rapid, at OVER 120, to being brady so quickly. When I told the nurse this she was stumped as well, they hooked up an EKG and his QRS complex looked normal.

So I'm bringing it here, thoughts? Patient was released later that day with no complications.

Last edited by a moderator:

dewey

Forum Probie
What did his pupils look like, and who called 911?

dewey

Forum Probie
I would think TIA, or maybe a vicodin addict that was waiting for his fix to kick in when you showed up. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I'm still pretty new to this.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
How was his heart rate assessed?

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds possible that he developed a clot in his lower extremities that broke lose and caused a pulmanry embolism.

Sat for a long time, tingling in legs and feet, upper chest/lung pain, some signs of hypoxia.

Why was BP unavailable? SP02?

OP
OP
S

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
How was his heart rate assessed?

By palpation w/ a watch. I say 130-150 because I could feel a slight variation in the heart rate, I came up with 140 for his HR, but I could tell at certain points it was slower, and some it was faster, so I say 130-150 to be safe. He said he couldn't "hear his heart" anymore, so I took it again right when he said that, and it was insanely brady.

I would think TIA, or maybe a vicodin addict that was waiting for his fix to kick in when you showed up. Take my opinion with a grain of salt as I'm still pretty new to this.
What did his pupils look like, and who called 911?

PT had no history of drug abuse, and no was on no medications. Potentially a TIA but he was A&Ox3, and was talking to us the entire time, albeit slightly out of breath. Don't TIAs usually present with unresponsiveness, or only responding to pain?

Pupils were regular before light was shined in them, and were bi-lateral reactive. He called 9-11, which is another reason I'm against the drug theory. Had he been feigning for the drug, he would have tried to get his fix, not called for an ambulance.

Sounds possible that he developed a clot in his lower extremities that broke lose and caused a pulmanry embolism.

Sat for a long time, tingling in legs and feet, upper chest/lung pain, some signs of hypoxia.

BP was unavailable because of a leak in the BP cuff pump, which I realized when I went to put it on him. It was the only one we had. No 02 Sensor was put on him because there were no signs of cyanosis present in the fingernails, under the eyelids, or on the gum.

With a pulmonary embolism, can it pass through and simply disappear, or does it need to be removed? He didn't have an MI, and as I said was released from the hospital that day with no surgery, or complications.

I've got an idea about what it was, but I want to see what everyone else can come up with. I feel like my answer is inadequite.

As another note, the PT mentioned in passing he'd recently been laid off, and his girlfriend had left him.

But again, I would like to stress, he did not have a history of drugs, nor do I believe drugs were involved.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Don't TIAs usually present with unresponsiveness, or only responding to pain?

With a pulmonary embolism, can it pass through and simply disappear, or does it need to be removed?

TIAs can have symptoms from just tingling in the fingers all the way up to unresponsive. (from what I have seen TIAs normally wont be unconscious. Normally it's just weakness/numbness.

If the embolism passes through the lungs where are some other places it could end up? (aka where does blood flow)

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm not exactly sure what could have caused the rapid change in heart rate, my best guess would have been some sort of vagal influence that caused it.

Despite there being any physical signs of hypoxia present, I would have still used the pulse ox, especially since he was complaining of SOB. Even though he may not have been showing any immediate signs of hypoxia, the pulse ox will allow you to complete a little more thorough of an assessment, as well as assist you in verifying your calculated pulse rate.

PT had no history of drug abuse, and no was on no medications. Potentially a TIA but he was A&Ox3, and was talking to us the entire time, albeit slightly out of breath. Don't TIAs usually present with unresponsiveness, or only responding to pain?

No, TIA's will have the same signs and symptoms as a stroke, but should resolve themselves within 24 hours. So while those signs and symptoms can include unresponsiveness, that is by no means the only thing that defines a TIA.

My best guess would have been some sort of an embolus. Especially with the complaint of cold feet, chest pain, and SOB, in conjunction with the prolonged use of the computer. Depending on the size of the embolus, I believe the body can eventually absorb it, however, I don't know how long that would take.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

Ths would be my guess as well.

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
You mentioned laid off and his girlfriend leaving.
Is it possible he was having a severe anxiety attack?

I ask because almost the exact same thing happened to me years ago the first time my husband deployed. I was hanging out watching TV one minute and the next I was struggling to breath, I thought my heart was gonna explode, and all 4 extremeties felt like they were asleep. My friend called 911 and once medics arrived and started helping me calm down I overcompensated and my HR went so low I passed out. ER doc said acute anxiety attack. Get out of the house and stop watching the news.

OP
OP
S

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not exactly sure what could have caused the rapid change in heart rate, my best guess would have been some sort of vagal influence that caused it.

Only vagal influence I could think of would have been SEVERE hypertension, causing intercranial pressure which would press on the vagus nerve. But again, no head trauma.

You mentioned laid off and his girlfriend leaving.
Is it possible he was having a severe anxiety attack?

I ask because almost the exact same thing happened to me years ago the first time my husband deployed. I was hanging out watching TV one minute and the next I was struggling to breath, I thought my heart was gonna explode, and all 4 extremeties felt like they were asleep. My friend called 911 and once medics arrived and started helping me calm down I overcompensated and my HR went so low I passed out. ER doc said acute anxiety attack. Get out of the house and stop watching the news.

This was what I brainstormed, and had an RN think of aswell. An embolism would fit, but whats throwing me was the tachycardia -> bradycardia in SUCH a short period of time. So I'm still not sure.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
My crystal ball says...

venous stasis

(now explain it to me!)

OP
OP
S

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
venous stasis

(now explain it to me!)

Synonomous with Deep Vein Thrombosis. Its basically caused by sitting or being inactive for a really long time. Its the reasaon why every time a new game comes out, about 3-4 days later you hear about someone dieing by a pulmonary embolism.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Undiagnosed arrythmia (a-fib?) and extremities asleep from Nintendosis.

Sublime

LP, RN
Only vagal influence I could think of would have been SEVERE hypertension, causing intercranial pressure which would press on the vagus nerve. But again, no head trauma.

This was what I brainstormed, and had an RN think of aswell. An embolism would fit, but whats throwing me was the tachycardia -> bradycardia in SUCH a short period of time. So I'm still not sure.

What signs and symptoms did he have that would lead you to the conclusion of ICP or sever hypertension? Doesn't sound like he had either of those.

Sounds to me like a panic attack. Change in heart rate due probably due to vagal response caused by pt. freaking himself out or possibly the person taking it was incorrect the first or second time?

OP
OP
S

shiroun

Forum Lieutenant
What signs and symptoms did he have that would lead you to the conclusion of ICP or sever hypertension? Doesn't sound like he had either of those.

Sounds to me like a panic attack. Change in heart rate due probably due to vagal response caused by pt. freaking himself out or possibly the person taking it was incorrect the first or second time?

Sorry, I mis-wrote that. I meant to say that hypertension would be the only thing that could cause a serious vagal influence, not that he was hypertensive, or had ICP.

Any other ideas besides embolus and panic attack?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Nintendosis:sit in one place for hours, often leaning forwards, often accelerating pulse and breathing. Yields repetitive motion injuries, lower extremity numbness and potential to go vagal when standing up.

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Did you get an EKG on him at all? Did you happen to exam his feet? Did they appear purple or anything?