Progressive EMS Ideas and/or Protocols

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey Ben, I hear the Houston FD said your education was unnecessary and that you cannulate like a girl. :p

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
You have got to stop saying things like that, my doctor said those types of subjects are not good for my blood pressure honestly, the sph....sshygno.......spigmono.....eh thing you put round the patients arm and pump up runs away in fear!

Why would I stop being an advocate for education?

OP
OP
J

Jersey

Forum Crew Member
Hey Ben, I hear the Houston FD said your education was unnecessary and that you cannulate like a girl. :p

Well Houston FD also uses the 10 week patch factory....

I'm one of the biggest proponents of increasing education standards, all I'm saying is that this thread is not the place to discuss it.

reaper

Working Bum
Here's a radical idea for progressive ems. Instead of adding more and more toys and procedures, try revamping the education guidelines and curriculum first. Then, work on adding other stuff.

Why would you stop a service from having the tools to do the job?

Yes, initial education needs to be increased, greatly.

Most progressive systems are very big on education. Providing education and training for the new tools is a must. Continue the education process and push for more. But, never try to hold back a system that is trying to make it better.;)

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Why would you stop a service from having the tools to do the job?

Yes, initial education needs to be increased, greatly.

Most progressive systems are very big on education. Providing education and training for the new tools is a must. Continue the education process and push for more. But, never try to hold back a system that is trying to make it better.;)

Eventually, the amount of tools acquired will exceed beyond the amount of material learned in the 2 year degree program let alone the 10 week medic mills. Don't know about you, but I don't want someone performing these kinds of advanced procedures my relatives that went to school for less time than one semester of college level A&P. I'm not trying to hold back the progress of ems, just trying to fix the fundamental problems that are holding us back. :)

Hey, how's med school coming along?

Still working on undergrad, I'll let you know in a couple years.

Sorry...couldn't resist...

OP
OP
J

Jersey

Forum Crew Member
Does anyone else have any protocol for pericardialcentesis on ALL working traumatic arrests?

reaper

Working Bum
Eventually, the amount of tools acquired will exceed beyond the amount of material learned in the 2 year degree program let alone the 10 week medic mills. Don't know about you, but I don't want someone performing these kinds of advanced procedures my relatives that went to school for less time than one semester of college level A&P. I'm not trying to hold back the progress of ems, just trying to fix the fundamental problems that are holding us back. :)

Are Doctors not expected to continue their education and keep up with the advancement of medicine? There are a lot of new medicine that has come out, since a lot of Dr's were in school. They still learn about the advancements in medicine.That is what these systems are doing. they are educating and training their medics on the newest medicine or skills. To me, that is where the true providers are coming from. I would want those systems to work on my family.

OP
OP
J

Jersey

Forum Crew Member
Are Doctors not expected to continue their education and keep up with the advancement of medicine? There are a lot of new medicine that has come out, since a lot of Dr's were in school. They still learn about the advancements in medicine.That is what these systems are doing. they are educating and training their medics on the newest medicine or skills. To me, that is where the true providers are coming from. I would want those systems to work on my family.

Absolutely. I also find that system culture has a ton to do with the effectiveness of their providers. I can show you two organizations with similar run stats, similar management, similar pay and VAST differences in provider attitude towards clinical care.

The systems that push their providers through clinical advancement and education breed good AGGRESSIVE providers, ones that I would want working on my family.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief

Touche

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well Houston FD also uses the 10 week patch factory....

I'm one of the biggest proponents of increasing education standards, all I'm saying is that this thread is not the place to discuss it.

The medic mills are being shut down, I read. I don't know how long that will take to happen, but it is supposed to be something new.

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
The medic mills are being shut down, I read. I don't know how long that will take to happen, but it is supposed to be something new.

I read that Obama wears womens underware on a daily basis and that the world is going to end next tuesday, but unless I can provide a citation of where I read this at, its hearsay ;)

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
My service is progressive

In that it requires a provider to have 4 years education plus 2 further years on-road training before being allowed to practice independently at ALS level, or longer if you want to work a chase car rather than a 2 medic transport unit.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
In that it requires a provider to have 4 years education plus 2 further years on-road training before being allowed to practice independently at ALS level, or longer if you want to work a chase car rather than a 2 medic transport unit.

Brown wants to move to where you are B)

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Brown wants to move to where you are B)

We're not without our own problems, and there are always things that we can do better. We don't necessarily have as many "toys" as other services either, but the toys we do have, we know how to use ;)

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I think one of the problems is that as ambulance evolved out of the mobile coronary care concept into a mobile intensive care foci that things got a lil crazy so drugs and protocols/gudelines and the amount of gear carried went a bit troppo.

I for one don't mind that we don't have as many drugs as some other systems because as you say Smash the stuff that we do have we use to good effect.

Now that said .... where is my Christmas list? :D

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think one of the problems is that as ambulance evolved out of the mobile coronary care concept into a mobile intensive care foci that things got a lil crazy so drugs and protocols/gudelines and the amount of gear carried went a bit troppo.

I for one don't mind that we don't have as many drugs as some other systems because as you say Smash the stuff that we do have we use to good effect.

Now that said .... where is my Christmas list? :D

No matter how much you ask and how bad your patients get KCN will not be added to your pharmacy ;)

Epi-do

I see dead people
We've had a hypothermia protocol for ROSC for the last couple years.

With this years updated protocols, we are now allowed to work an unwitnessed cardiac arrest found in asystole/PEA and with a suspected cardiac origin onscene for 30 minutes and then cease resuscitation efforts without calling medical control for orders to do so. Yes! No more transporting corpses!