Private EMT Training

FireMedic236

Forum Ride Along
Does anyone know of private EMT Training. Either one on one in a classroom setting or the instructor making house calls. I have a friend who is interested in taking EMT-B but does not want to be in a class with a bunch of other people. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Thanks

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No nor would I ever suggest such a thing. EMS and health care is a "people business". It involves talking, touching and interacting with people. That's what it is all about.

I had a student once that did not want to participate and touch/be touched by other students. I expelled her. One cannot perform this job adequately without interactions between each other. One cannot practice successfully or gain thorough and adequate knowledge (tactile stimulus) without practicing upon a live person and only fair to experience what the patient experiences as well.

I am afraid your friend has a misconception of what the profession and job maybe about. Not to be rude, but if one has a such interaction disorder, this would not be an area to focus upon.

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

In EMT school I was touched, lifted, nudged, and moved. People did a full trauma assessment with their hands, while verbalizing the genital sweep, and reached around me to find the correct placement for Heimlich maneuver.

My fellow students were men, women, fat, and skinny. I quickly learned that actual hands-on practice is essential in order to properly learn a skill. I honestly never had an incident or heard of an incident in our class where someone felt as though the touching was inappropriate or crossed the line.

I'm sure you could find someone to teach the program to you individually, but it would cost several thousand dollars. EMS is a "people" profession, and it's essential that you learn teamwork and push your boundaries before you jump on the rig.

I hope that helps!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Is this really due to a social issue or is it really because this "friend" feels that one on one they would learn the material better one on one?

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
There is no way an EMT class can be taught in anything other than a classroom setting. Besides, how are you going to practice your skills with just the instructor? How are you going to perform the log roll while maintaining in-line c-spine stabilization while practicing your skills by yourself for the LSB? It can't be done without your classmates.

EMT students come to form a bond between each other from practicing these skills repeatedly together. As the class goes on, they tend to care about their fellow classmates passing the class and the practicals since they spent time working together. Kind of like the relationship you would have with your partners when you work for a service. It all starts in the classroom.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There is no way an EMT class can be taught in anything other than a classroom setting.

I'll let you know, I am assisting in a new study of Paramedic on-line. Yes, they will have a lab in person ( this is where I come in) but technically no class room setting. I reviewed the material it is very thorough, no one will just get by.

R/r 911

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
I'll let you know, I am assisting in a new study of Paramedic on-line. Yes, they will have a lab in person ( this is where I come in) but technically no class room setting. I reviewed the material it is very thorough, no one will just get by.

R/r 911

Sounds interesting, Rid...and thanks for the 'correction', as it were; I didn't take into account on-line courses...I was trying to convey the fact that in one's original EMT class it is ideal to take it in a classroom setting since hands-on when someone is getting started is essential to learning the skills needed, as well as for the other reasons I stated earlier. To me, it's better to do the original in a classroom, then any/most CE hours can be done online.

Just curious, Rid, are you referring to an original EMT-P course that you're assisting with?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yeah, we are trying a new way of teaching. Personally, I am NOT a fan of on-line courses; I know some can be taught very well (i.e theory type) but I still prefer in class room for most. I do realize though, this 2008 and things are changing.

The entire Paramedic portion will be on line, with the ability to receive an Associate Degree. The college I am teaching at is one of the prestigious Paramedic programs around. They have had a EMS degree type program for over 30 years and are Nationally Accredited by CoEMSP and all the other EMS preference educational organizations.

I have to admit, there has been a lot of debate that should we attempt or not to. We feel that if it is to be done, we much rather attempt it than a trade or program that does not have experienced educators. There are areas in the remote part of the State that does not have access to higher education for Paramedic training. I much rather have the lecture, study guide, and test be administered by an experienced expert EMS Educator than from a poor instructor in person. This College has a long experience of on line courses.

I have reviewed some of the material and requirements of the on line Paramedic curriculum and it will NOT be easy or less time. In fact, for those of us that have taken similar on line courses usually can attest that they are much more difficult and thorough than some of the traditional classes. We will see... I will be the Chief Lab Instructor. Their labs will be conducted at the College and will be at least 8 hrs a day over a period of time. I know the patient assessment skills I have designed will be over 16 hrs in length itself. With more in depth requirements (using ophthalmoscope, otoscope, reflexes, neuro, O.B. assessment, vent care, etc.). Clinical time will be greatly in depth as well, with clinical instructors at clinical sites to ensure that the students have adhered and met the objectives. There is already a "no-nonsense" policy for all students. The program has no problems sending students home or suggesting another program. This has improved the attitudes of the clinical sites and increased the areas more for the students.

Maybe this will be an alternative that should be considered. We will have to wait and see what the results will be.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiberius

Forum Crew Member
I can definitely see the point with attempting on-line courses rather than someone else less experienced.....best of luck with it!!!

reaper

Working Bum
Rid,

Please make sure this online program is done correctly. I have seen many medics come out of online courses, that have no clue of what is going on with a pt. These were courses that were set up the same way. Class time online and labs in person.

I wonder how they even passed the labs. I knew one person that went back and took the Paramedic program at another college. He had come to realize that he had not received a quality education. So, he took it upon himself, to take the course over again.

I think there is a spot for online programs, like you stated. Just make sure that students are not slipping through with no understanding of the basic knowledge.

Hope you can set this up the way it needs to be done. I would love to see a program that people in rural areas can take part in. This will bring ALS care to areas that may never have had a chance to have it before.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not going to do anything to a patient that I am not willing to do to a fellow classmate of mine. I got really big veins so when we were learning IV therapy in Intermediate school they used me for starting lines. I had 4 bandages on each arm each class! Talk about getting intimate with your fellow students!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Regarding the paramedic online, I think it can be done but it has to be heavily monitoried and perhaps even require a week or some sort of "boot camp" done at the college.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I am no more for an online Paramedic program than I am for the online entry level RN.

I believe you should be shown things as you learn them and not with a couple of weeks of crash labs and clinicals. There is little time to reinforce difficult areas or weak spots the student may have during these clinicals.

A couple of these programs teach the book stuff, do a week of lab and then give the students a list of approved clinical providers for ride time. Not a whole lot of oversight.

Online is fine for some classes that require no hands on or for advanced classes as a continuation of the basics once entry level certification of the Paramedic is obtained. For example; finishing the Associates on line.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It sounds like Rid is trying something different. I'm intrested to see how it turns out.

OP
OP
F

FireMedic236

Forum Ride Along
Ok. First of all, I know you don’t know me from anyone else. But I will tell you I am not a new EMT and by no means am I just an EMT. I don’t need to explain to anyone my medical background and experience...especially on a forum. I am simply here to get some answers. My friend is just looking to become an EMT. Not to work on a meat wagon somewhere. He already has a career and has always been interested in being able to help someone in need. He also has a pool and two little kids. I don’t understand the mentality of someone who wants to discourage learning, especially in a field that can only help society. I think it is funny that you (Ridryder) say that you expelled someone for not wanting to touch or be touched but yet you are participating in an online course, particularly a PARAMEDIC course... hmmm sounds like a contradiction. My friend happens to be a very famous celebrity and would feel extremely out of place in a classroom full of other students. Again I still don’t understand why anyone would want to discourage anyone from wanting to become an EMT. Not everyone who is interested in becoming an EMT wants to work on an ambulance. Also, I never said this individual would not participate in the skills portion of the testing process. I was just simply looking for an answer to a question.

reaper

Working Bum
If you come back with responses like that, no one will give you a good answer. If all your friend wants is to help people or save his family, then he would be better off with a Heartsaver with first aid course. Which can be taught by a BLS instructor.

If the friend is a famous person, then they would already know that they can flash the cash and get anything done privately. I'm sure they could pay to have a private EMT course done, if that is what they want.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok. First of all, I know you don’t know me from anyone else. But I will tell you I am not a new EMT and by no means am I just an EMT. I don’t need to explain to anyone my medical background and experience...especially on a forum. I am simply here to get some answers. My friend is just looking to become an EMT. Not to work on a meat wagon somewhere. He already has a career and has always been interested in being able to help someone in need. He also has a pool and two little kids. I don’t understand the mentality of someone who wants to discourage learning, especially in a field that can only help society. I think it is funny that you (Ridryder) say that you expelled someone for not wanting to touch or be touched but yet you are participating in an online course, particularly a PARAMEDIC course... hmmm sounds like a contradiction. My friend happens to be a very famous celebrity and would feel extremely out of place in a classroom full of other students. Again I still don’t understand why anyone would want to discourage anyone from wanting to become an EMT. Not everyone who is interested in becoming an EMT wants to work on an ambulance. Also, I never said this individual would not participate in the skills portion of the testing process. I was just simply looking for an answer to a question.

uh oh....:excl::excl::excl:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am available for the right amount of $$$.

:)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
starring in the local realtors office tv commercial doesnt make you a very famous celebrity.

very famous celebrities have managers/handlers that handle this sort of inquiry, which is usually made in person with an envelope full of cash.

your reading comprehension need work. did you miss the part of R/r's post that mention the live labs as part of his proposed medic program? i agree with his dismissal od a student that refused to touch/be touched. its a required part of the course.

if your friend is really uncomfortable in a classroom setting, he's SOL. as previously mentioned, you need several people to practice the skills. if he's so rich and famous, why doesnt he just hire and emt/lifeguard to watch his kids while they paddle about in that pool.

oh, and if you want to stick around and participate in our little corner of the net, id make amends and watch your tone. just a friendly suggestion....

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant

What does him having a pool and 2 kids have anything to do with your initial question?