Principles of Patient Assessment in EMS by Bob Elling

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Principles of Patient Assessment in EMS by Bob Elling. Does anyone have any opinions on this book. If anyone does not recommend this book what do you recommend?(besides my medic text book or getting an education, I am working on the education)
http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Patient-Assessment-EMS-Elling/dp/0766838994

i recently took a CEU course where the instructor referenced many pieces of literature. what do any of you recommend for additional reading.

EDAC

Forum Crew Member
Principles of Patient Assessment in EMS by Bob Elling. Does anyone have any opinions on this book. If anyone does not recommend this book what do you recommend?(besides my medic text book or getting an education, I am working on the education)
http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Patient-Assessment-EMS-Elling/dp/0766838994

i recently took a CEU course where the instructor referenced many pieces of literature. what do any of you recommend for additional reading.

I found it to be a fantastic book, I used it as a supplement in my EMT-B class to the course text.

You can find it on ebay for much less than at Amazon, I got mine for $1.99 + S/H.

sojourner

Forum Probie
thanks

Thanks for the heads up. Amazon has them from $7 to over $100 plus shipping. I just grabbed a new one for $14 total. Big thanks !!!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Naw, Merk would be a mistake. If you want to take patient assessment seriously buy:

DeGowin's Diagnostic Examination
or
Bates Guide to the Physical Exam.

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Naw, Merk would be a mistake. If you want to take patient assessment seriously buy:

or

Thanks. I was alrady starting to un-consider Mercks due to the fact that it had severa; 5 star ratings at borders on the parameters of "being perfect for the layman"

EMTim

Forum Probie

or

From reading the customer reviews on amazon, it looks like Bates is the one to start with, then continue onto DeGowins.
Would you agree? Do you have either or both? Are they applicable to field medicine, or do they make a lot of references to and the diagnoses dependent on labs and xrays etc?

TIA

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
From reading the customer reviews on amazon, it looks like Bates is the one to start with, then continue onto DeGowins.
Would you agree? Do you have either or both? Are they applicable to field medicine, or do they make a lot of references to and the diagnoses dependent on labs and xrays etc?

TIA

I do not really differentiate between the filed and regular medicine. I take emergent transfers from hospitals to tertiary hospitals and like to look at the labs and films the give me so I like to learn everything I can. I have both and both have a lot of material you can use in the field with just your hands, brain, and a stethoscope.