Princess Cruises?

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Stat, it's hard to say how quick you'll receive a reply. They are very busy screening a lot of applicants so there's no other way of saying they'll get to you when they do, actually that wasn't half bad saying that haha. I joke, once you get a phone interview if it goes well enough you'll get a Skype interview, if you make it past that you'll have a clinic skype interview, grilling you medic wise with different scenarios, FYI don't bother asking what questions they ask because none of us good medics will tell you, you should know your ish backwards and forwards. After the clinical Skype interview they'll let you know via email whether or not you're getting an offer letter. After the offer letter you'll schedule your medical exam, yes you pay for it outta your pocket. Once you get you're medical certificate in the mail they give you an assignment, then Bon voyage.

Medicgirl I hope that answered your question as well, as far as how the process develops, advice? Be yourself, that's relative now that I think about it, everyone's personality is different and some peoples personality shine and come out during the interview and others don't. Sadly their are great medics out their that suck at interviewing and may get overlooked. I suppose it just depends on how determined one is on getting the job they want. Research interview techniques, learn to relax, smile, for the love of God wear a suit or oxford and cardigan for women. This still is a professional environment and first impressions count. Even over the phone interview, smile, walk around, use gestures, those come over in your tone and inflection and voice and reflects your character.

Hopefully I didn't ramble and have good insight. Still waiting on my medical certificate to come in the mail and get my assignment. Stay focused and positive to those applying, it may take awhile to get a response but when you do keep that excitement alive in your interviews and correspondence.

Good luck out there ladies and gentleman.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
Over the past few days I've been really playing this scenario out in my head if I actually got a job with PCL.

Is it really as awesome as my imagination makes it?

Not only would I be getting paid to do what I love, being a medic and ER tech.. but I would be travelling to places that are on my bucket list.. and it would be all paid for.

I guess the con is that I will not see my friends and family for 4 months at a time.. but, when I think about the past 4 months.. nothing really happened here that I missed.

Also, I'm worried about the pay. Right now I make a good amount of money. But my expenses are super high and I actually have some debt. Maybe this would force me to cut all of my expenses and actually pay off said debt.

This is such a crazy life-decision.. but, I applied and am hoping for a call :)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Over the past few days I've been really playing this scenario out in my head if I actually got a job with PCL.

Is it really as awesome as my imagination makes it?

Not only would I be getting paid to do what I love, being a medic and ER tech.. but I would be travelling to places that are on my bucket list.. and it would be all paid for.

I guess the con is that I will not see my friends and family for 4 months at a time.. but, when I think about the past 4 months.. nothing really happened here that I missed.

Also, I'm worried about the pay. Right now I make a good amount of money. But my expenses are super high and I actually have some debt. Maybe this would force me to cut all of my expenses and actually pay off said debt.

This is such a crazy life-decision.. but, I applied and am hoping for a call :)
I thought about the same stuff when I left the U.S, 3 years ago to start working as a Paramedic overseas. My contracts often run for a year or more and are in the middle east. Not exactly a sweet cruise-liner traveling to tourist destinations. Despite this, I still get a lot of off time and continue to see a lot of the world while making great money. I resolved my debt, took time off between contracts with out returning to the U.S. and backpacked through the UK and western Europe, saved some money, and ditched all my living expenses back home. If I was back in the U.S. right now, I would be applying to this position. On a side note, I did visit a few months back and met some of the princess staff in Las Vegas at the world EMS Expo, I am pretty jealous of you guys! Hopefully someone starts a blog about there journey on board the ship so I can cyber-stalk one of you lucky individuals.

medicaustik

Forum Crew Member
I thought about the same stuff when I left the U.S, 3 years ago to start working as a Paramedic overseas. My contracts often run for a year or more and are in the middle east. Not exactly a sweet cruise-liner traveling to tourist destinations. Despite this, I still get a lot of off time and continue to see a lot of the world while making great money. I resolved my debt, took time off between contracts with out returning to the U.S. and backpacked through the UK and western Europe, saved some money, and ditched all my living expenses back home. If I was back in the U.S. right now, I would be applying to this position. On a side note, I did visit a few months back and met some of the princess staff in Las Vegas at the world EMS Expo, I am pretty jealous of you guys! Hopefully someone starts a blog about there journey on board the ship so I can cyber-stalk one of you lucky individuals.

If I end up getting an offer, I'll join the ranks of the bloggers. Maybe a couple of us could make a joint blog.

I've been researching some of those overseas jobs in the Middle East as well as this one on PCL.

I recently lost the one thing that was really holding me here (a girl, naturally). Recently single, 25 years old, no kids and no house to sell.. well, why not go do something that most people would say I'm crazy to do?

medicgirl05

Forum Ride Along
Decepticon medic thanks for the info. I have never done a Skype interview and that is were my nerves come in. I am afraid I won't be able to show my people skills as well on Skype as I could in person. For instance, one of the most important things is to shake the hands of the interviewers and I can't do that.

Can somebody tell me more about the medical clearance process? Is that something that your own physician can do? Or do you have to use one of theirs?

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
It goes through a third party company. Basic medical physical, of course I had to have the smokin hot Doc do mine. I didn't mind that one bit, could've done without the rectal exam though. Yikes

OP
OP
J

jaysonsd

Forum Crew Member
I applied for them on Monday. I received an E-mail that same day requesting a brief phone screening which was done Tuesday. Today I received an E-mail requesting a Skype interview. Does anyone have any tips or advice for the Skype interview?
Thanks!!! This thread has been full of great information.

Dig into the early parts of the thread, it was discussed several times.

cruiseforever

Forum Asst. Chief
[I've been researching some of those overseas jobs in the Middle East as well as this one on PCL.

I recently lost the one thing that was really holding me here (a girl, naturally). Recently single, 25 years old, no kids and no house to sell.. well, why not go do something that most people would say I'm crazy to do?[/QUOTE]

I think you would be crazy not to try it. Your young go for it.

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
hi and re-joining the ranks of expat medics

Hi ya'll-

I've enjoyed reading your posts about PCL. I too am getting started with the process, phone call on Wednesday. I applied awhile back and they definitely took some time getting back to me. I've been a Medic for six years and have 2.5 years of expat experience overseas (Iraq). I have a buddy that worked for PCL and he definitely didn't have great reviews about them, but I'll give it a shot and check them out. I'm also in process with a few overseas companies. So for those in process, how's things going?

CruiseMedic

Forum Probie
Go for it!

Medic4dawgs,

First off, if your name is referring to the Georgia Bulldogs, go FSU!!! Hahaha! Going on my 4th contract now with PCL, we've had medics come and go. Some love it, some hate it. It's a big difference than being a road medic….increased scope of practice, multiple nationalities on the team, most of the team really don't understand the true capabilities of medics, being at sea for 4 months at a time, and so on. All in all, I have been to over 20 countries and uncountable cities, marking so many places off my bucket list and having the time of my life with friends from all over the world. It takes a certain personality to do this job and you probably won't know if you have it until you try it.

In Mexico, heading back to work :)

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Thanks!

Hi CruiseMedic-

I absolutely agree that being in any remote environment is wayyyy different than regular street medicine. I loved my job in Iraq because I grew ALOT as a Medic. As you indicated, expanded scope is a huge challenge for many Medics especially in the first year or so. For those curious about what this means, basically you are quite literally a PA without the licensure. I'm looking forward to finding out how close PCL is to that scope. A friend of mine worked for them for a year or so after Iraq but is now with Int'l SOS living the awesome life of Remote Duty Medicine. I have heard rumors regarding the pay with PCL and that's one concerning point for me as I have a wife and house to substantiate in the US (as well as our 2 dogs and 2 fosters, hence my name lol).

I definitely agree that Remote Medicine is absolutely freaking awesome because you are in so many different countries in a very short period of time. I knocked off 11 in my 2.5 years abroad the first round and literally have flown around the world 3 times now. This is definitely appealing for me as I love the international culture. 4 months on, 2 off is somewhat bothersome but it is doable. Thanks again CruiseMedic and have fun in Mexico!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Does anyone have a friendly HR email contact they would not mind sharing? Feel free to PM, I had a couple unique questions for them.

Emtp2010stl

Forum Probie
been awhile

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I have actually posted on the page (despite talking a couple of you on board already)

So I thought I would give an update....

I went through the interview process last year and for those that are waiting or going through it is everything that is discussed on this site. My Skype interview was the first of its kind for me but it obviously went well. Since my offer I took some time to get some life things in order.. built a house. Got married. Ya know minor details. However I am happy to report I have made contact with PCL and started gathering documents and the dental and medical screening with hopes to leave in January. I am very excited and nervous all at the same time!

I would like to start a blog but can say I would even know where to do that. If someone has a good site to do that I will be happy to start it and continue it as everything progresses.

Medic4Dawgs

Forum Probie
Update

Hi everyone-

So I just wanted to give ya'll a heads up. I have the first phone call tomorrow at 1 pm and am looking forward to hearing more about the position. I am still somewhat concerned about pay but am willing to at least entertain the idea. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those of you starting soon or have started. It is fun being in the beginning phases of a program like this, imo, as you get to somewhat drive the change for the future "generations".

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Just wanted to give everyone an update, my start date is January 18 and I believe I will be on the Caribbean contract. Got everything lined up and just waiting for my itinerary. Emtp2010stl if you are on in January that'd be pretty cool to be on the same boat. Once I officially know more as far as where I'm going I'll update youse guys again. Gettin excited as each day passes by!

SSparamedic2014

Forum Ride Along
you don't need any suits. some t-shirts, shorts, workout stuff ok. u will be coming home with tons of uniforms so leave space. everyone makes this mistake.

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Awesome, thanks. I'll be revising my suitcase then. What would you say like, pack enough clothes for two weeks and that's it? I did wanna bring a few medic books to read over every now and then. Tablet and my psp.

SSparamedic2014

Forum Ride Along
i have seen people bring less. do u have an itinerary yet? remember its pretty much 24 on and 24 off. if there are 4 ports and depending on the scheduling 2 ports will be yours. the rest of the time you will be either in your room where u will obviously wear what you want but as soon as you step into the passenger area you will be wearing a uniform with the exception of workout clothes if you will be using the passenger gym. tablet, psp, hard drive, laptop are a must!

Decepticon Medic

Forum Probie
Still waiting on that, should be getting it shortly. I thought about even bringing my xbox but figured that may be to much to bring. Figured handful of shorts and jeans, enough shirts to last 2 weeks and that's it. I didn't know about 24 on 24 off, I thought it was working all 7 days a week at 8 hour shifts. Doin a kelly shift would be right up my alley though.