pregnant emt

emtmom68

Forum Ride Along
:unsure:My daughter is an emt and currently works full time for a private service... we just found out shes pregnant.. is it safe for her to be lifting like that? I have been told by others that some of the patients are pretty obese... Am I just being an overprotective mom when i ask her to go on leave early?:unsure:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
That is all stuff that is going to have to be determined by her doctor.

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
i Agree, her doctor is going to be your best source of information because thats a tuff call for her since she is working full time.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
i Agree, her doctor is going to be your best source of information because thats a tuff call for her since she is working full time.
"Welcome to the dispatch center"
"Welcome to being the medical director's chart review person".

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Most pregnant medics here seem to be able to work till about the sixth month or so with little problem. Some go off earlier and some later. It just depends how they and their Dr. feel about it. One should always have extra help with the heavier pts. Your daughter is the best one to decide where the too heavy line is. If she has been doing the job awhile she will know where the line is. Have faith mom. Sometimes the hardest part of having kids is letting them make their own decisions.

Sasha

Forum Chief
When someone becomes pregnant in EMS it shouldn't just be about what she can and can't lift but how much of a strain she's going to be putting on her partner when she gets later in her pregnancy.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
My preceptor said she worked until the last week of her pregnancy. I would definitely try and work for as long as I possibly could, taking into consideration my partner and first responders. Don't want them to have to strain themselves because of me.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My ob told me that it was up to me. I had bad motion sickness in the back of the ambulance, and I either worked until that was unbearable or until I couldn't wear my regular pants anymore. I didn't want to be needing to be agile and strong when my center of gravity was shifting.

I was working FT during two pregnancies, one I worked in dispatch, the other I taught paramedic class.

Having been pregnant a number of times with a variety of fitness levels, I really believe it is 14 kinds of not smart to work EMS all the way through a pregnancy. It does suck, though.