Predicament with hiring

Leirsyn

Forum Probie
Hey all, I was certified back in January, and I have been volunteering with two non-profit EMS foundations. But now, it seems that my family needs my financial help, and I am looking for a job. I am 19, attend college, and unfortunately, I did get into one small car-accident. That is the only thing showing on my record in my three years of driving. Is there no hope for me in getting hired anywhere in Orange County or Los Angeles?

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Every job will have a points limit set by their insurance carrier.

Where I work that limit is 7points.

As long as you don't have more than 7 points, technically, you are good to go. Obviously, it is management's choice to hire you or not, but I know people who have gotten hired with a DUI and nothing else (in my state a DUI is 6pts).

Everybody says to have a clean record because it is just another positive thing you can claim- but in reality there will be a point limit set by the insurance and I would think a crash would not put you over it.

Just like the old saying going... you can't win if you don't play the game... So if you don't apply to places you won't ever get hired.

If you get turned down, ask why and ask what you could improve on for next time.

If they state it's because of your driving then casually ask what their allowable limit was.

p.s. I hear it is a tough job market in LA.

jon51

Forum Crew Member
Leirsyn,
If you are hoping to work in southern California as an EMT then you will be fine if you have 1 point or less. Assuming your accident was 1 point then you should have little issues with your driving record. The problem you may encounter is that some companies will hire only 21 year olds and up due to insurance reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

jon51

Forum Crew Member
Also, here in California 2 points or more is a deal breaker at most reputable companies and anything over 2 points will usually keep you from getting a job at any company unless you are hired as an attendant only. Insurance is too expensive for companies to take a chance on a bad driver when there are many applicants with clean records.