Precepting for my Basic

REMSI Medic 10

Forum Probie
Im exicited, I AIC'd for 2 calls last night and I did the PPCR and insurance billing. The only thing is, I have to start doing the truck identification which means I have to locate certain things in a certain amount of time. In my EMT-B class, they never taught us anything about how to use a stair chair because they only taught us what we needed to be taught to pass the state test. My question is, what kind of precepting things did/do you have to do for your agency?

also, I have to prepare a stair chair for use on a patient in like... 45 seconds or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
take out a stair chair and play with it for a few minutes on your own.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
stair shair is nothing in 45 seconds. like siadjust pull it out...if you can't figure it out...find another profession.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Locate and familiarize!

As far as your ambulance goes, it is a matter of getting back there and going through every compartment and learning were everything is and the name of the piece of equipment or supplies that they are called. There should be a check out/ inventory list on the ambulance that you will be able to work with. Besides doing your daily check off for your ambulance, also get back there on down time and familiarize yourself where the supplies and equipment are. Hope this helps! :)

Turner

Forum Crew Member
In time you will learn the truck it will be second nature to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
Do you have a link to your EMT-B program? I'm wondering what sort of accreditation they have and why it hasn't been revoked.

In terms of locating stuff in the back in a certain amount of time, that is stupid. You'll learn it eventually, they should be spending their time teaching and testing you on more important things.

Bosco578

Forum Captain
Im exicited, I AIC'd for 2 calls last night and I did the PPCR and insurance billing. The only thing is, I have to start doing the truck identification which means I have to locate certain things in a certain amount of time. In my EMT-B class, they never taught us anything about how to use a stair chair because they only taught us what we needed to be taught to pass the state test. My question is, what kind of precepting things did/do you have to do for your agency?

also, I have to prepare a stair chair for use on a patient in like... 45 seconds or something.

45 secs? Why?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
stair shair is nothing in 45 seconds. like siadjust pull it out...if you can't figure it out...find another profession.
I remember the first time I pulled my stryker stair chair out of the unit and I couldn't figure out how to open the thing and extend the handles. All of this while the patient is sitting on the cot in the winter cold. Unfortunately it was snowing, winter, and the patient needed to be inside. It sucked for everyone.

My advice, play around with everything!

Bosco578

Forum Captain
I remember the first time I pulled my stryker stair chair out of the unit and I couldn't figure out how to open the thing and extend the handles. All of this while the patient is sitting on the cot in the winter cold. Unfortunately it was snowing, winter, and the patient needed to be inside. It sucked for everyone.

My advice, play around with everything!

Best way to learn, like MMiz said, "play around with everything". I'm still not sure why they want to time you on it though. Keep going over your equipment on your down time. Ask for help and a demonstration if you are unsure.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't forget your jump bag and O2 bag! ;)

BirdtheEMTB

Forum Crew Member
The Stryker stair chair is really cool! It has treads on the back that you just need the right angle to go down the steps, then all you really need to do is to guide it.

Fire292Rescue

Forum Probie
Just about EVERYTHING Stryker makes is cool haha. We used nothing but stryker in out EMT-B class for practicals.

I got used to using the Stryker Stretcher and Stairchair but we dont have them so yea...jaha

EMTSteve

Forum Crew Member
Stryker Stairchairs are sweet... and simple, just like the Stretcher everything red does somthing. It will take like 30 seconds for you to teach yourself how to use it.

As for finding everything... nothing more I can tell you then, get back their and play around. Test yourself, pretend you have a patient that needs an NRB or NC and see if you remember where its at.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well... if your employer wants you to know how to do something, and they don't go over it with you... that is a problem.

YOU need to talk with YOUR PRECEPTOR and have them go over the stairchair with you. Don't try to pretend that you know it.

Once you've seen it and done it under supervision, you should have no problem setting it up - it isn't hard at all.

Jon

rmellish

Forum Captain
This might drive your preceptor nuts, but pulling everything out of one cabinet at a time, then carefully, neatly, and correctly restocking it, while checking items off of the list might help.

Either that or actually pull each item your practicing looking for out of the cabinet. This way you're practicing both cognitive (thinking about where the item is) and motor (actually grabbing the item) which usually creates a more lasting, usable memory.

Jochempeiper

Forum Probie
It's through the Virginia Office of EMS