Pre-Reqs EMT

ollie

Forum Crew Member
check your college (the one i was going to go to was Medical terms) but what lifeguard said is correct "typically the answer is no"

OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
I have a emergency first responder certification so will that help or does it really matter?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It might help you personally marginally, but no, it does not matter at all. Some classes require you to have Professional-Level CPR certification before enrolling.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Have some common sense! I think thats the biggest one.

Lioc

Forum Ride Along
I went through EMT-B school a long time ago, and did pretty good. But, I am going back now. Different time in my life, different area, etc. I put myself through a local college and took Anatomy and Physiology, EKG arrhythmias, and Medical terminology. Things from years back are starting to click from EMT-B years ago. I wish I had taken these classes back then. I know that it will help me so much more this time around.

So while you may not 'need' anything prior to EMT-B, I would highly recommend having a solid foundation.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
The two schools I went to had requirements. Chabot in Hayward requires you to complete First Responder, have a AHA CPR for healthcare provider, and some immunization. San Jose City College required just AHA CPR for healthcare provider, and some immunization.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Bah, I was too slow at editing the previous post to fix a grammar mistake I had in it, and to append the follow message. :(

I don't think anatomy helps you very much, but physiology can when it comes to remembering what kind of signs and symtoms are associated with certain conditions, but a lot of EMT programs seem to do just fine either doing it cook book style or give you an analogy that doesn't quite hit in on the nail, but is understandable and easy for student to memorize. Knowing things like thorough A&P, medical terminology, pharmacology, pathyology will only make you marginally smarter within the scope of an EMT-Basic compare to others (it still won't help you execute your skills, but you'll get to know those like the back of your hand anyhow), however, if you plan on moving up within the medical field, I believe it will be necessary to know, and minus well get those out of the way, and be marginally better anyhow.

I took First Responder first. I personally feel that I could've done without in EMT since you will be required to go over it again anyhow. Sure you'll be better prepared for the lectures and skills the second time around, but if you can do it once, well, I personally see it as a waste.

Overall, learning is fun. It's cool to go above and beyond, talk pro, and be a boss. It looks like a lot of people would have loved to spend more time in school to go over things much more thoroughly.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

Trainer12

Forum Crew Member
I have been re-cert. in AHA CPR several times and will continue to be. I learned a lot going through the First Responder course and it has already helped me just when I am riding out I can recognize some things I wouldn't of. I just love learning so it was a fun course for me. I catch on very fast so I have learned alot in the field by my partners just giving me a task to do and instructing me then I do it the next time.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I was thinking that too, but when I thought about it more, if somebody else remembers cook book style and you remember the whole process of what's going, and all that good stuff, how is it gonna help you anymore than somebody who remembers it cook book style? I'd argue that it could be slower too just because somebody who remembers the sign and symptoms due to the physiology or pathyology of it may have to include not just the s/s they are witnessing also (kind of like thinking of the process of RAAS or the million other reasons for HTN, just to think about why sombody has fruity breath when it comes ketones, etc), but put it together by filling in the gap of things you don't need to know to determine the s/s and treatment (unnecessary thought process). Everyone has their learning niche too. Some people may not be able to blantly remember all the different triads or s/s, which is where A&P could come in handy, but I know a lot of others who consider just filling in those gaps just piling more memorization on top of more memorization. Don't you believe you could do without all that and be equal to somebody who does know it? So I guess I could rephrase that statement to that it wouldn't help you anymore than you just memorizing it cook book sytle, and I believe it's possible it could be detrimental too.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
yea im a CPR instructor and a first responder. but where i took my EMT class you didnt need anything for the course.

xsilverfantasyx

Forum Probie
Are there any pre-reqs for an EMT cert.?

For my Community College:

High school graduate or GED equivalency
18 years of age or older
Completed health record required PRIOR TO registration
COMPASS™ placement into ENG 100 OR completion of equivalent course as verified on transcript.