Practical test question/Introduction

A.Anaka

Forum Probie
First off, I love this place. I have been reading all the various discussions for close to 3 or 4 months now and I have deducted that there are quite a few very knowledgeable regulars. Also I have already learned quite a bit from this place already.

I am currently in school, in Canada, getting certified as a PCP. From bottom to top, typically, it goes Emergency medical responder(EMR), Primary Care Paramedic(PCP), Advanced Care Paramedic(ACP), Critical Care Paramedic(CCP). (Cant hurt to review)

Anyways my question is: From an instructors perception, If a student were to give breathes to forcefully and to fast during artificial ventilation would there be grounds to fail the student?

I could make excuses until I turned blue in the face as to why I was giving these breathes so forcefully but I feel that I was nervous due to it being my first practical exam, thus far, as well as being the first time getting video recorded while taking an exam.

In any event I am sure that many of you would know whether or not that is a failing criteria and I will gladly accept any advice or criticism.

-Thank you in advance.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
Hyperventilation is a very common error. Unfortunately, it has dire consequences. It wrecks havoc with the patient's acid/base balance, and in the unresponsive patient, it can kill them. We have actually pulled up on people ventilating like crazy with puke swirling around in the patient's face mask. People who aspirate gastric contents will die and it is the EMT's fault. Dead people don't puke. The only way a pulseless, apneic patient will puke is if the EMT pumps air into their stomach. IF every EMS provider was failed for hyperventilation, then there would be a lot less problems in the field. I guess you can tell that in my opinion, YES - you should fail for hyperventilating. Keep trying and keep learning.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
To also add to Kaisu response, it also changes the inner thoracic pressure. With in itself can change cardiac output, pH, ICP, and cerebral blood flow, etc.. so yes, there are detrimental effects. Hence why hyperventilation is no longer recommended for head injuries, and even in cardiac arrest.

We wish you the best of luck !

R/r 911

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Not to be brutal (I've been on your side of this one) but if you're gonna do it in practice, you're probably gonna do it on the street. If your evaluators had issues with your methods, it was probably for a good reason. It's nothing personal, you just didn't meet the established standard. Practice a little more and give 'em the ****ens next time! Best of luck in your studies, too.

OP
OP
A.Anaka

A.Anaka

Forum Probie
:) Thanks for the responses, I haven't found out how I did yet but I have a feeling I will be "re-doing" this test. Although, I feel strongly it would be for the better seeing as I would rather make all of my mistakes while learning opposed to when treating an actually pt.

I hadn't thought of the consequences, besides vomiting, of hyperventilation. I am glad that I inquired about it as I have learned something new yet again. I appreciate your criticism and advice, I know it will be of great help to me in the near future. Also please do not apologize for telling me as it is. I feel that I would rather have a "brutal" truth then a false sense of security in a skill that I am not prepared to use properly in the field.

If I come up with anymore questions I will be asking them. Also, once again, thank you.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
It's a very common mistake. I teach CPR and am often telling students..."You are 'breathing' for them, not trying to inflate them like a balloon"