pov emergency light placement

2boss4

Forum Probie
i have a pov with a couple blue lights and i sometimes see cops or other vehicles with the light placed in the upper right side of the windshield rather than centered or to the left (which would make more sense to me so the car ur passing can more easily see it). any explination would appreciated. thanx

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

Oh geez, this isn't going to end well.

Many police vehicles have radars and dash cameras that make it impossible to place the light in the center. I've seen many others that have a light attached to the right-side sun visor, so that could also explain what you're seeing. In general, placing a light in the center will provide you the best results as far as being seen by others.

Scout

Para-Noid
lol,

centre would be ok, so too is top right, all you want is to be seen,

now sits back and observes

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
one of the main reasons is to reduce flashback.

its your vehicle, put your light where you want them, or grow up and realize your lights are a liability and not a benefit.

i too now will sit back and watch this one burn. beer, check. popcorn, check.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I used my turn signals to sign morse code to the other cars that I am on an emergency run. No, just kidding.

rmellish

Forum Captain
I highly suggest the "top shelf of closet" position, that or the "sell to coworker and place on their pov" location.

Just my .02

If you absolutely need a light, get a cheap one which can be seen from 360 degrees...its just a courtesy light in most states anyway.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
I prefer keeping it in the trunk. Don't have to worry about flashback or other people seeing it. My two copperheads.

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
Uh-oh

Oh I think I'm just gonna watch this one also.. Hey KEVD can I have a cold one? lol

But seriously, I'd put it on the dash.. I don't have lights in my POV so I dunno what's best.. but in the ambos here they have a Code 3 two light strobe set up on the dash.. so the bottom of the windshield and it works good, not much flashback.

Take care and welcome!! :beerchug::beerchug:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
sure pull up a chair. oktoberfest is in the fridge. bring me one while your at it....

NJN

The Young One
i too now will sit back and watch this one burn. beer, check. popcorn, check.

What no chips?

Anyways pass the popcorn and this should be fun.

Oh and being on topic, check out the awesome search feature for all of your blue light argument needs. We also offer a full variety of supplemental whacker knowledge posts such as those about duty belts and personal jump kits.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
you want chips, bring chips.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
well you're halfway there.

when you decided to return your issued light to the store room, you'll have arrived at your destination.

NJN

The Young One
you want chips, bring chips.

Alright i got the chips and i'll bring in some lazy boys while i'm at it. Pass the drinks.

As for my POV lights, it was immediately donated to the film club i'm president of for use as a prop. Its collecting dust in a closet somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
i'd probably use one because the town govt may require response in members POV. At present there are 4 or 5 members of my agency who have lights on there POV it ranges from 3 or 4 with wig wags in their grills and one with overhead lights. Our agency coordinator uses red and blue lights but then again he's also the community constable. For those ofnyu who aren't Canadian the community constable is equivalent to the position of town marshal.

Last edited by a moderator:

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i'd probably use one because the town govt may require response in members POV. At present there are 4 or 5 members of my agency who have lights on there POV it ranges from 3 or 4 with wig wags in their grills and one with overhead lights. Our agency coordinator uses red and blue lights but then again he's also the community constable. For those ofnyu who aren't Canadian the community constable is equivalent to the position of town marshal.

i have a question for you.

in another thread, you said your agency just got authorization for members to use povs. my question is why bother with them now. you've obviously been getting by just fine without them since ems was started. what has changed that you suddenly have the need to be half arsing a response?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
i have a question for you.

in another thread, you said your agency just got authorization for members to use povs. my question is why bother with them now. you've obviously been getting by just fine without them since ems was started. what has changed that you suddenly have the need to be half arsing a response?

actually the vollie service im with were authorized to use them but one of the members cut off in traffic a friend of the then mayor who ordered them out of service. We have a new mayor and senior administrative officer at town hall and hey reversed the ruling. All members were told that even using the light we can not go faster than the posted speed limit and all traffic laws are to be obeyed. I probably wouldnt buy a light because i won't always be with the service because I am considering working in the oil patch emergency services where the pay would be good. 250 to 300 per day.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
alright, so i'll modify the question slightly.

during the time the lights were taken away, did anybody die because you didnt get there fast enough?

if they are going to be just courtesy lights, meaning you cant violate any traffic laws and nobody is required to yield to you, whats the point?

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
There is a requirement under the territorial motor vehicles act that requires people to pull over when a authorized vehicle with emergency lights has the emergency light activated. It's wither the territorial or municipal govt that determines what is an authoried vehicle. Nope no one died. except maybe some members of the service who did speed heavily getting to the ambulance bay at the hospital. some members are still speeding. And with the lights that the town provides we only have 3 lights dash lasers because only the members on first call use the lights. I've never used it because most of the calls i have when I'm on call are to act as ground support for air medivac. We pick up the medivac team from the airport take them to the hospital, then we take them and the pt to the airport. Another member of the service has purchased several emergency lights he hopes to sell to other service members. The only time i can see for the lights to be used if responding to go to an immediate life threatening of mass cassualty incident. I've never been on an MCI and only a few call that were immediate life threatening. The more I think about it the more i'm moving over to kevd way of thinking of this topic.

Don't hog the chips.