Post content in notification email

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Gentlemen,

I suggest that the option for allowing post content in email be turned on. This way I can determine if a new post to a threat I am subscribed to warrants a reply or not. This would be very useful when on a mobile device, such as my iPhone, and in general would be a nice feature. It used to happen but it was turned off long ago.

Please enable this. Thank you.

bstone

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'm not even sure that is an option with this forum software, but I'll look into it.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not even sure that is an option with this forum software, but I'll look into it.

It used to be enabled long, long ago. Not sure if the software changed or was upgraded since then. I have a lot of experience with forum servers and software and I've never come across forum software that doesn't include this option.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hey bstone,

We've again discussed it behind the scenes and still stand by the decision we made in 2010. (Link)

At this time the post content will not be part of the emails.

Chimpie

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey bstone,

We've again discussed it behind the scenes and still stand by the decision we made in 2010. (Link)

At this time the post content will not be part of the emails.

Chimpie

Please enable it. What could possibly be the reason to not turn it on?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Please enable it. What could possibly be the reason to not turn it on?

The same reasons we turned it off back in 2010. We were tired of receiving the email responses to threads.

If we were to send the emails from a "noreply" address as previously suggested, 1) our emails would most likely end up going into a spam/junk folder, 2) members would still respond via email and their replies would still not be posted in the forum.

While we appreciate your suggestion about this (seriously, we really do), we will not be returning the content of the reply in the emails. I know this disappoints you but our decision on this has been made.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
The same reasons we turned it off back in 2010. We were tired of receiving the email responses to threads.

If we were to send the emails from a "noreply" address as previously suggested, 1) our emails would most likely end up going into a spam/junk folder, 2) members would still respond via email and their replies would still not be posted in the forum.

While we appreciate your suggestion about this (seriously, we really do), we will not be returning the content of the reply in the emails. I know this disappoints you but our decision on this has been made.

The technical fix for this is rather simple and easy to do. I would be happy to do it for you if you would like. Please turn back on the content of posts in emails. Please enable it.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The technical fix for this is rather simple and easy to do. I would be happy to do it for you if you would like. Please turn back on the content of posts in emails. Please enable it.

bstone, the matter has been discussed and our decision is final.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
bstone, the matter has been discussed and our decision is final.

I understand that there appear to be some technical issues that might prevent this suggestion from going forward but I promise you that the solution is within reach. What is preventing the employment of the technical solution? It's clear from the previous thread that the users of the forum want this re-enabled. Please enable it. Please.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I understand that there appear to be some technical issues that might prevent this suggestion from going forward but I promise you that the solution is within reach. What is preventing the employment of the technical solution? It's clear from the previous thread that the users of the forum want this re-enabled. Please enable it. Please.

What part of our answer is final did you not understand?

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
What part of our answer is final did you not understand?

I am very curious to know about the employment of the technical solution that would, in fact, allow the content in email notifications to be re-enabled. I patiently await your on-topic reply.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
After looking into it, yes, it is technically possible. However, we are standing by our decision not to implement it for the reasons Chimpie detailed.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
To add to what is already stated, we initially removed the feature due to the number of emails replies we received when members replied to the emails. There are multiple fixes, but none are ideal.

About a month ago I also updated our PM email template so that it no longer provided the text of the PM, but instead required the user to visit the site. Again, it stopped the random email replies, but it also brought users back to the forum.

As a discussion forum our ultimate goal is to cultivate discussion, and requiring users to visit the community does just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.