Positive TB test?

lucro91

Forum Crew Member
I am joining my local county's volunteer service and I had to get a PPD test today, and go back Wednesday to have it looked at. I'm paranoid for some reason about being positive for TB. Could they possibly not accept me into the program if I am a carrier?

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
If you're PPD is positive, youll need more diagnostic treatment...dont be paranoid:)

OP
OP
lucro91

lucro91

Forum Crew Member
Well a better explanation into the paranoia, I don't have health insurance and barely make money at my current job so I am unsure if I could afford further treatment/screenig

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Possibly. However, a negative result is negative. A positive result is not automatically diagnostic of TB.

Don't worry about it. I've done plenty of travel to TB prone areas and I still get a negative result every time.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Are you not required to have health insurance to work/volunteer at an agency?

If it was positive the next step would be a chest x ray and IGRA. Nothing too major.

Were you born in the USA? Receive vaccinations in a foreign country?

OP
OP
lucro91

lucro91

Forum Crew Member
No they don't require us to have insurance. And I was born in the US I went to Mexico when I was young on vacation but never got vaccinations or anything there

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I came up TB positive on the subcutaneous test and all I had to do is have an xray 8f the chest done. You'll be fine.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If your test is positive, your county medical people will be interested and you can probably get care through them. HOWEVER, all a + means is that you have antibodies, you were exposed. Most positives in US never convert to clinical or contagious case.

I always tested "equivocal", probably reacting to something in the solution other than dead or partial TB bugs. Chest xray always negative for TB.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
I had a clean PPD for years, but two years ago I came up positive in a big way. I mean, that lump was enormous! And to complicate matters I had had a persistent cough the previous month (although I do smoke, so I wasn't too worried). I immediately got a chest x-ray, which was clear *thank God*, but now my employer requires me to get an annual film done just to make sure. Sigh... guess I'll be glowing by the time I'm 50.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I have to do the chest x ray once a year as well as my PPD test comes up positive every time

OP
OP
lucro91

lucro91

Forum Crew Member
Thanks guys for all the info. The only thing that came up was a bruise from the needle which is already almost gone :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Thanks guys for all the info. The only thing that came up was a bruise from the needle which is already almost gone :)

See all that worrying for nothing.