Poll: EMS and Privatization

What organizational model is best for EMS?

• Private, For-Profit

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Private, Not-for-Profit

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Public

Votes: 16 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
Register your vote.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Even better idea, register your vote and tell us why you think that way.

Personally, I see advantages and disadvantages to every option. There is no perfect EMS system and some systems may work better in a given area than they would another. Each must adapt to the needs of the community.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I think different situations require different business models. That said, I'm most interested in seeing how a private not-for-profit service works. Are there any examples?

terrible one

Always wandering
I agree that the United States is so dynamic that it would be difficult to model one system that fits into every state/county/city/town perfectly. However, I see more potential in public systems.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
which is best? what is best?

cheapest for the taxpayers is a for-profit private.

public tends to provide better benefits for the employees

non-profit is better than for-profit, but not as good as public... plus they have to spend all their money by the years end, so usually you get decent equipment.

yes, that's a gross over simplification, as well as painting all three with a broad brush.

But I have to say I think the best is municipal or county based EMS agency, which government employee benefits, retirement systems, and the potential for future advancement within the agency.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think different situations require different business models. That said, I'm most interested in seeing how a private not-for-profit service works. Are there any examples?

Check out Swansea Ambulance in MA (I know there's at least one member here who's active there). Many of the NY/NJ squads (first grade) are actually their own 501(c)3 organizations, under agreement or contract with the city.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

www.remsa-cf.com

There's talk about them possibly taking over the fire service here as well, supposedly.