Policies Concerning Rig Care Duties

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm curious what the various policies and procedures are concerning rig care duties, such as cleaning, moping, restocking etc.

Currently we work in assigned rigs, but management is considering going to an unassigned system. While some people are known for taking care of their rigs, it is a common problem around my work to find some rigs in poor shape, such as not stocked properly, dirty, with expired meds, and even occasionally blood, open meds etc.

Management feels an unassigned system will be easier for them, and when asked about the rig care issue their response was basically that if we go to an unassigned system the rigs will all end up cleaned and stocked better because those of us who do take care of our rigs will make up for those who don't. I am vehemently opposed to this because it is unfair to those who do care for their rigs and because there is zero enforcement of the rig care duties, and I think that while some of the major problems may improve, the rigs will overall be less cared for.

So, here is my question. Do you have an assigned or unassigned system? What are your rig care policies and if they are enforced, how is it done? Do you tag or seal your cabinets/jump kits? What happens if you get a rig that is either dirty or stocked improperly?

Edit: I should add that we are a medium sized operation, with between 7 and 15 ambulances on the road at a time. They have flat out said they will not hire non-ambulance staff to assist with rig care and station duties, like some operations employ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trip

Forum Probie
I work at an "Unassigned" company. We do checks twice daily per rig, a Part 800 check every week on each rig and a monthly PM/Part 800/Check Everything check on each rig. The daily checks are mostly is it clean, how much O2 on the large, O2 on the cot and which med bag is in what rig, is the cot even there... (yes, a crew went on an IFT and the cot had been taken out)...

It works pretty well. Gets annoying with the checks as it seems that only certain ppl do them, but they get done. The part 800 ensures that the minimum necessary to run is there and there is an internal reprimand system if you use something, don't restock it and another crew needs it and it's not there. Cleaning is done at each return. The company owner is a stickler on keeping the rigs clean. "Clean rigs, healthy techs!"

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
We have assigned trucks, sort of. There is a truck assigned to a station and crew (ACP vs. PCP, 0700 vs 0800). However between scheduled preventative maintenance and the odd breakdown it's not uncommon to have a spare vehicle. Factor in four platoons rotating through the truck, casual staff and swing shift medics backfilling for vacations and secondments and staff in on OT and you can have lots of medics on a truck; some better than others on stocking and cleaning.

As a result I make sure to thoroughly check the monitor and response bags every shift (it's policy, and important, but we all know some people aren't very good at this). I usually give the cabinets a cursory check to make sure everything is there, though I couldn't necessarily vouch for 4 NRB's.

We are supposed to wash the truck each shift. Once again, some are better than others, but I try to wash mine each shift unless call volume doesn't allow. In which case the relieving crew will hopefully do it (as I do for them if they don't get a chance to wash the truck).

Trucks get a deep clean every Sunday. Everything taken out, all surfaces wiped down, mopped, major equipment inventory control numbers recorded, glucometers Hi/Lo tested, inventory, etc.

I also mop out the interior after each call and in the winter try to rinse it each time it hits a station.

Enforcement is pretty much non-existent, but I'd say the majority of the time the trucks have a clean exterior and almost all the time the interiors are clean.

Recently our Chief has decided to come out on the road two days a week to visit stations and hospitals to touch base with crews. Part of this is to help reinforce uniform policies and base and vehicle cleanliness as part of professional standards. (We also have these Professional pledge plaques in the bases, but that's another story). This isn't being done as a disciplinary thing, just setting an example and being seen and open.

My service is fairly large, 40+ trucks on the road at a time out of 20 stations. We do have a dedicated Logistics branch but they don't handle day to day stocking. The trucks currently go in four times a year for standardization (to increase to one a month when the new HQ opens in the spring) but otherwise we do all our own cleaning and stocking.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
At my company there are so many problems. Every crew i run with though is anal as i am when it comes to a clean rig. I go through our vehicle checklist beginning every shift, which includes not only mechanical, lights etc it also includes every and i mean EVERY piece of medical equipment we carry, so i check every at least twice and don't just eyeball it, i try to count everything so its exact. being partially paid partially volunteer its kind of hard to enforce. the paid crew i run with a lot have both been emts 25+ years. They are both anal about rig cleanliness etc. Alot of people have mentioned throughout the forum how bad ems is looked at, the biggest issue i see is dirty unacceptable rigs, We have a garage with drains so the rigs get washed every day, and i wont let my stretcher back on the rig until its perfect.

We run two buses with a third on the way. cant wait to get rid of the fords

Bosco578

Forum Captain
They took ownership away from my service,the units are dirty,not restocked, over stocked, empty main oxygen and or portable tanks, may or may not get fueld, or washed, The list goes on.............:glare:

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
We don't have assigned trucks, but certain shifts usually always get the same truck. When we show up for a shift they tell us what truck we will be on and give us the equipment for it. We are supposed to replace any used items at the end of our shift, but we also inspect the trucks at the beginning.

That said, our trucks are dog crap. I don't think the FD tanks are necessary, but decent trucks would help morale. Most of our trucks have 400,000+ miles on them and it shows, a few have 500k+. A lot of that is due to the people however. There isn't really any kind of accountability to make sure people keep them clean and in good working order.

Adz

Forum Crew Member
We have assigned rigs and full inventory is done every shift. While a full cleaning is attempted every shift, call volume often only allows for quick wash and disinfection, in those cases, once a week we do a full cleaning.

That being said some crews are better about it than others, but supers do a fairly good job of enforcing this policy.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Unassigned rigs here, though we only have four rigs and 10 people at out station, so the same people generally get on the same rig.

There's a supply check out sheet, on-coming crew is responsible for stocking the rig, off-going crew fuels, washes and cleans the rig.

So typically we'll get to station and have a clean, washed rig. We'll check out the patient compartment, the off-going crew usually has a list of supplies they used, and we'll stock from that, double checking to make sure they didn't miss anything. Then we'll work our shift, and during our EOS time (1/2 hour) we have to fuel and wash the rig.

It works pretty well. Everyone's held accountable because we're pretty small, and it's easy to look up who screwed up.

That said, I don't know how practical this would be for a larger or busier system where crews are consistently held over shift.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
We run unassigned trucks, we have three crews on each shift, and the crews decide amongst themselves who takes which of the 6 1st run trucks are getting used. Everyone checks their own supply, some wash and some don't. We never really have an issue with dirty or understocked trucks. You talk to the crew getting of to see if they used anything major, and check it. But I'm overly anal about my trucks. Not just stock levels, but specific placement of items in the cabinets and go-bags

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
We only have three rigs, and one duty crew on at any given time.... so we always use the same truck :) We go through each rig once a week for a complete inventory and after calls we always restock what we use. O2 is the only thing we occasionally find empty when we come on shift.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I've experienced both...

My first company expected us to do a rig checkout at the start of shift, covering every aspect of the ambulance and equipment, without the crew before you having to restock anything they used, so you had to check EVERYTHING. But they commonly would drop a call you on you 5 min into your shift and they refuse to let us clock in early, :wacko: They also made us wash rigs, due to our high volume typically the 24 hour crews could end up washing the entire fleet!

My current company is muuuuuch better. They have a dedicated staff that restocks a rig and seals all cabinets and bags after a shift gets off duty. They also wash and clean the rig before the next unit uses it. I feel spoiled, but it makes a huge difference. All we have to do is check battery or computer equipment (blades, monitor, suction, etc.) and we are ready to log on. It allows you to wake up and get into game mode for your first call better than if I'm rushing to clear a rig check and then get the call

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
It is not just ambulance services:

I understand your situation.

I worked at an insurance investigation company, law enforcement agency, and a car service. All these organizations had a pool of shared vehicles.

I have always been anal about cars. Even more anal about ones that are not mine. That is why I hate the cliche, treat it as your own, because I treat things better that I do not own !!!!

People always leave stuff in cars, garbage, personal belongings, they do not report maintenance concerns.

Organizations tend to punish everyone too. For example, the investigation company sold the cars and decided to pay everyone mileage.....

And Murphy's law, the one time was directed to turn over a car at the car service ASAP, no time to clean, the manager gave me grief over it, forgetting every other time I returned them spotless, and he ignored other people leaving a mess......

Ideally, there would be someone's job it it to clean and restock.

If you are going to complain, at least try to get 2-3 people on your side to report the issue as a group.

At the ambulance service I am at, I come in early (volunteer anyway) to clean and restock and check. Whenever I use anything, I am anal about restocking. Sometimes I have to take out from another rig when supply room out.....

Some people leave a mess but I just clean it up silently.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I have yet to work in an EMS agency where supplies were restocked and equipment was maintained consistently. It didn't matter whether those duties were "assigned" or not. Some people did them, most didn't. Unless you're high enough on the food chain to take this on as a mission, and make it happen, I suggest you just focus on doing the best job you can, and try not to get aggravated when others don't reciprocate.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I have yet to work in an EMS agency where supplies were restocked and equipment was maintained consistently. It didn't matter whether those duties were "assigned" or not. Some people did them, most didn't. Unless you're high enough on the food chain to take this on as a mission, and make it happen, I suggest you just focus on doing the best job you can, and try not to get aggravated when others don't reciprocate.

We are about to move the truck check off sheet onto our laptops, at which point admin will be able to keep track of it, and everyone will pretty much be forced to correctly restock the trucks at the beginning of each shift.

Simusid

Forum Captain
That said, our trucks are dog crap. I don't think the FD tanks are necessary, but decent trucks would help morale. Most of our trucks have 400,000+ miles on them and it shows, a few have 500k+. A lot of that is due to the people however. There isn't really any kind of accountability to make sure people keep them clean and in good working order.

Holy smokes! 500K??? We've got 50K on our "old" rig and we have a replacement on order right now!

We do BLS/ALS checks every shift. Everything *should* be checked. Yes, it does depend on call volume, but I still try to do the best job I can on every shift. Tonight is slow (xmas eve) and I was able to wipe down then mop, change all the batteries, turn everything on, and inventory pretty much everything.

Our checks are all paper/pen. I **really** want to move to some kind of web based check system.