Police Based Paramedics

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT

They're working to improve their system, but the only advantage the troopers provide is speed. Which is often not a factor considering travel times.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
The good thing is, medics on the Maryland helicopters get a lot of experience, quickly. Those guys fly everybody.

They're call volume has dropped. 4500 in 2006 down to 2900 last year (with 7 helicopters in service).

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
SEVEN?!?

Holy crap. I had no idea their program was so big. And you'd think with how big those helicopters are and the fact they do a fair number of flights that they'd want to be able to fly with two providers.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
SEVEN?!?

Holy crap. I had no idea their program was so big. And you'd think with how big those helicopters are and the fact they do a fair number of flights that they'd want to be able to fly with two providers.
I believe their new helicopters are staffed with two trooper medics.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
I believe their new helicopters are staffed with two trooper medics.

At least on the shore, they're a flight medic and a 2nd in training. They will drop the 2nd for a local paramedic if the situation requires. I'd have to watch the training video again, but I believe they can also fly with the ground paramedic as a 3rd.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
At least on the shore, they're a flight medic and a 2nd in training. They will drop the 2nd for a local paramedic if the situation requires. I'd have to watch the training video again, but I believe they can also fly with the ground paramedic as a 3rd.
Right, I was more replying to Tigger's thought that they'd want to fly with two. I've had very little interaction with MSP Aviation, so most of what I'm talking about is third hand.

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Right, I was more replying to Tigger's thought that they'd want to fly with two. I've had very little interaction with MSP Aviation, so most of what I'm talking about is third hand.

Gotcha,

The other big thing to remember about MSP is that they are not just medevac units. 20% of their calls are SAR and LE related only.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Nassau Long island: http://www.police.co.nassau.ny.us/eab.htm

nass104.jpg

QUOTE]

I volunteer in Nassau County, and this is not strictly true. The AMTs who work for the Nassau County PD Emergency Ambulance Bureau are not sworn law enforcement, and do not carry firearms. (AMTs are either EMT-CC or EMP-P level and practice ALS.)

It's actually an odd system. AMTs are assigned to an ambulance, alone. When there is a call for an aided case, the ambulance with the AMT is dispatched, along with two squad cars of regular police. When a patient is transported, the AMT is in the back, one officer drives, and the other follows so he can return the driver to his car. In an arrest or other case where more than one provider is needed in the back, either a second ambulance in dispatched, or an officer will ride to assist. All officers were trained as CFRs, and many are EMT-B or higher.

As an aside, The Port Authority Police Departmnt (covers the NYC airports, among other places) also uses armed police as ALS responders. I just handed a patient off to them last week when someone had a seizure on my flight into JFK. . .

That seems a little bit inefficient....

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Is it as inefficient as a 3-4 person engine company, 2 person ALS squad, and two person ambulance on every call like some systems do?

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Is it as inefficient as a 3-4 person engine company, 2 person ALS squad, and two person ambulance on every call like some systems do?

I would say it's equally inefficient, yeah. Regardless of the amount of people on each piece of apparatus, the fact is you're taking 3 of them out of service to deal with one call.

I think fire department (BLS!) first response is appropriate for some calls, depending on the system in place, and I think ALS chase units may even be better than medic/basic trucks, but I think the LA County/Southern CA EMS system is set up to be the most inefficient use of fire and EMS resources that I've seen. It's like its designed to make everyone involved as unhappy as possible.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I would say it's equally inefficient, yeah. Regardless of the amount of people on each piece of apparatus, the fact is you're taking 3 of them out of service to deal with one call.

I think fire department (BLS!) first response is appropriate for some calls, depending on the system in place, and I think ALS chase units may even be better than medic/basic trucks, but I think the LA County/Southern CA EMS system is set up to be the most inefficient use of fire and EMS resources that I've seen. It's like its designed to make everyone involved as unhappy as possible.
Have to agree. Alot of calls don't require 6 fire fighters to stand around and do nothing. Big red rolled out to every call with a squad. Why? To make it seem like they serve a purpose. Its all over powerful unions and the justification of tax payer spending.

Angel

Paramedic
Have to agree. Alot of calls don't require 6 fire fighters to stand around and do nothing. Big red rolled out to every call with a squad. Why? To make it seem like they serve a purpose. Its all over powerful unions and the justification of tax payer spending.

this

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
But isn't a three to four person engine company responding to appropriately triaged calls just a more efficient use of available of personnel as opposed to assigning a second medic unit. Say that you're dispatched to a code/trauma/resp. distress call, I surrey hope that you're not trying to work that code with your two person ambulance crew. Assuming you don't have a mechanical compression device or a ventilator, one will have to bag and one will have to compress. That leaves you with no one to do...the rest. Instead of pulling a second medic crew and leaving their first due area uncovered, it will serve the community much better so send an engine, which probably wasn't going to be fighting a fire anyways, to assist the original medic.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
But isn't a three to four person engine company responding to appropriately triaged calls just a more efficient use of available of personnel as opposed to assigning a second medic unit. Say that you're dispatched to a code/trauma/resp. distress call, I surrey hope that you're not trying to work that code with your two person ambulance crew. Assuming you don't have a mechanical compression device or a ventilator, one will have to bag and one will have to compress. That leaves you with no one to do...the rest. Instead of pulling a second medic crew and leaving their first due area uncovered, it will serve the community much better so send an engine, which probably wasn't going to be fighting a fire anyways, to assist the original medic.
With todays dispatcher training usually its easy to figure out the resources for the call.

Angel

Paramedic

in my area, the engine which can have 1-3 medics (3 person engine) is dispatched to EVERY call. the medic can cancel them on scene or en route if the medic gets there first and can rule the call as BS, but 98% of the time, the medic is seconds or a minute or 2 behind the engine and majority of the time is useless except a first set of vitals. on codes obviously the more hands the better. but its most often unnecessary to have the engine respond to every call.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
in my area, the engine which can have 1-3 medics (3 person engine) is dispatched to EVERY call. the medic can cancel them on scene or en route if the medic gets there first and can rule the call as BS, but 98% of the time, the medic is seconds or a minute or 2 behind the engine and majority of the time is useless except a first set of vitals. on codes obviously the more hands the better. but its most often unnecessary to have the engine respond to every call.
Ya this is typical on the westcoast, we did the same thing in Portland. Its the fire departments way to exploit EMS as a way to save firemen's jobs and justify there existence and bloated budget. Its an absolute joke