Please help

joshman19

Forum Ride Along
Hi tere I got my EMT cert in late 2013 and have been looking for a job (ER Tec, EMT on a ambulance) and have had absolutely no luck. Every place i have applied has told me that i need experiance. kinda strange that i need experiance when i already have the cert.
Also i live in Az but im looking around in Oegon for a job as well

mperniciaro

Forum Ride Along
Good Evening Joshman,

I have not been an EMT in AZ or Oregon but maybe I can help. I my years of working as an EMT I have not run across a service that states you must have experience. Are you a nationally registered emt ??

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just keep applying. Try EVERY ambulance service within 50 miles. There's always an EMT job somewhere. It's really an entry level position. Many ERs require experience before they'll hire you as a tech, but IFT EMT positions usually require no experience. Most of those jobs only care if you have a pulse and a patch.

LenaLena26

Forum Probie
Just keep applying. I didn't get my first EMS job until 5 months after I was done with school. Look for Private ambulance companies first.... or if you wanna go the emt/ff route, go to firehouses and ask how to get in and go through academy. Good luck.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
BLS IFT would be your best bet if you have no experience most of the time all they require is a functioning brain and a pulse. Like DEmedic says try EVERY company within a 50 mile radius, you'll find something, just keep trying.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
Hi tere I got my EMT cert in late 2013 and have been looking for a job (ER Tec, EMT on a ambulance) and have had absolutely no luck. Every place i have applied has told me that i need experiance. kinda strange that i need experiance when i already have the cert.
Also i live in Az but im looking around in Oegon for a job as well

I live in Az. and am going through the same thing. Rural Metro has a monopoly going here. AMR is here, technically, but not hiring yet. Southwest may be going on strike very soon. That might be part of the problem. I'm glad you started this thread, because I have the same question.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
BLS IFT is going to be your best bet to get your foot in the door.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
BLS IFT is going to be your best bet to get your foot in the door.
That's what I've been trying for. I'll take anything at this point. Unfortunately, things are tough in Phoenix right now as far as getting hired. That's the dilemma. Everyone here is experiencing the same freeze.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
I got my first EMT-B job by working for a few months as a dispatcher for a local private ambulance company. It was not glorious. It was not exciting. But it helped pay for EMT school, and afterwards they moved me right over to the ambulance. So, you might consider an alternative route to your destination.

Otherwise, you might even have to consider a move out of your area to where the jobs are. That's scary, I know, but sometimes the scary moves have the greatest rewards.

Godspeed,
M.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
That's what I've been trying for. I'll take anything at this point. Unfortunately, things are tough in Phoenix right now as far as getting hired. That's the dilemma. Everyone here is experiencing the same freeze.

That blows.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not sure if we're hiring with southwest right now. But I know for a fact that Pmt is hiring full and part time right now. Pays a bit less but it's a job and you're part of the R/M machine.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I'm not sure if we're hiring with southwest right now. But I know for a fact . Pmt is hiring full and part time right now. Pays a bit less but it's a job and you're part of the R/M machine.
I've had an application under review in Payson, part time with PMT for at least 2 weeks, if not 3. As far as Southwest part time in Mesa, they said I don't have enough experience.

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
Make sure and call in to voice your Interest and check where they are in the process.
Also it can't hurt to apply at southwest again. I know a couple of people who got hired right out of emt class so it really depends on staffing levels. Idk what they look for in part timers though

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I've been calling. Should I withdraw the existing application and reapply? Would that help?

WildlandEMT89

Forum Lieutenant
No. But if they post more openings definitely apply for those as well. I think I had applications in for 4 or 5 positions when I got hired.

OP
OP
J

joshman19

Forum Ride Along
I got my first EMT-B job by working for a few months as a dispatcher for a local private ambulance company. It was not glorious. It was not exciting. But it helped pay for EMT school, and afterwards they moved me right over to the ambulance. So, you might consider an alternative route to your destination.

Otherwise, you might even have to consider a move out of your area to where the jobs are. That's scary, I know, but sometimes the scary moves have the greatest rewards.

Godspeed,
M.
yeah he whole hireing freeze is killing me. i might just have to do that and look elsewhere for a job.

OP
OP
J

joshman19

Forum Ride Along
No. But if they post more openings definitely apply for those as well. I think I had applications in for 4 or 5 positions when I got hired.
Yeah that is what i have been doing. just trying to get my foot in the door. All i need is a chance. hopefully sooni get one.