place where all accidents are recorded?

leeksoldier

Forum Probie
Excuse me, if this is a dumb question. But I've exhauseted all other methods of finding out.
Is their a place or site that records all car accidents? Or does anybody know of a way that I might be able to find out some information or pictures of a certain car accident?
I'm looking for one that was in a small town in Oregon.
Thanks.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Not really... the best place to start would be the website of the LE agency that had jursidiction, if they have one. Sometimes they send out press releases for major or fatal accidents. If you're really interested contact the Records Unit or section of the police dept involved. The information may not be publicly available and even if it is there may be a charge to access information.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Also look on the local newspaper's website, as they may have photos.

OP
OP
leeksoldier

leeksoldier

Forum Probie
Thanks for replying. :)

I have looked at all the local news paper websites. No luck... I'm just trying to get a look at how bad a car accident was, that I was in. I have no recollection of it, and never did get to see how the car looked afterwards.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm guessing that as an involved party, the police reports shouldn't be too difficult for you to access. Don't be surprised if there aren't pictures or lots of details though... accidents happen all the time and they generally don't pull out of all the stops unless someone dies or something crazy happens.

Aidey

Maybe contact the insurance company? They may have photos.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
As far as I know, there is no organization that maintains records on all auto crashes.

Law enforcement, generally, would only take photos and examine the vehicle if a fatality was involved.

Generally, but not always, an involved insurance company will have obtained photgraphs of the damage.

Insurance companies may have used the services of an auto damage appraiser who may have taken photographs.

Also, I would suggest asking the auto body repair shop and the owner(s) of the vehicles as well.

I hope whatever situation you are in works out for you.

EMT-IT753

Forum Lieutenant
I know at my volunteer fire department we take photos of all accidents and keep them on file. If you were to walk in and ask to see the pictures and prove you are the person the vehicle belongs to, we allow you to see them. You might try that route and see if that works for you.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Nfirs

If your FD participates in any federal grants, there is a good chance you could find information in the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS)

There is a category for Non-Fire emergencies, under EMS for MVA's with and without PI.

But, I only know how to pull data from my service.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I have looked at all the local news paper websites. No luck... I'm just trying to get a look at how bad a car accident was, that I was in. I have no recollection of it, and never did get to see how the car looked afterwards.

Visit your local newspaper. It is possible photos were taken but not published.

How long ago was the accident?

Where was the vehicle taken? If it was totaled in might be in a junkyard somewhere.

Tizzy

Forum Probie
To the OP: Do you, by any chance, have a lightning-bolt shaped scar on the middle of your forehead? We've been looking for you.

OP
OP
leeksoldier

leeksoldier

Forum Probie
Visit your local newspaper. It is possible photos were taken but not published.

How long ago was the accident?

Where was the vehicle taken? If it was totaled in might be in a junkyard somewhere.
I have no idea where the car went. I was a passenger. That was only the second time I ever met the driver, or saw the driver. It was in September of 2006.

Aidey

Law enforcement, generally, would only take photos and examine the vehicle if a fatality was involved.

I think that varies by area, because I've seen PD taking photos at most of the MVAs I've been on. Even ones where no one ends up transported.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know in MA, there is a statewide database of MVCs. Any operator who is in an MVC (regardless of fault, severity, etc) must complete a standardized state form and submit it within a certain amount of time. There aren't pictures, but data is collected and analyzed. The operator of your vehicle or any other vehicle may have submitted data, and that may help you understand what happened.

Good Luck!