Pimp Questions

JPINFV

Gadfly
Stroke their face if I remember correctly! Taking a BP can also do it if they have muscle spasms.
Trousseau sign.

Surgery on what organ, if not performed carefully, can cause hypocalcemia for life? Why?

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
All your benzos have been stolen and you have a patient seizing, which ACLS drug can you give to try and terminate the seizure?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
All your benzos have been stolen and you have a patient seizing, which ACLS drug can you give to try and terminate the seizure?

Mag sulfate?

Or, all of them. Can't seize if they are dead...

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Surgery on what organ, if not performed carefully, can cause hypocalcemia for life? Why?

Parathyroids, I'd imagine.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Parathyroids, I'd imagine.

For the second half.

Parathyroids release PTH which increases osteoclast activity to break down bone calcium increasing levels in the blood.

No PTH, no calcium release to the bloodstream.

Calcitonin would just run unopposed from the thyroid, taking up calcium from the blood.

Last edited by a moderator:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep... if the surgeon isn't careful during a total thyroidectomy, they can remove the parathyroid glands as well, which leads to hypocalcemia.

So technically the answer is still parathyroid, but it happens by accident during thyroid surgery?

Was my mechanism accurate or am I out in left field?

JPINFV

Gadfly
So technically the answer is still parathyroid, but it happens by accident during thyroid surgery?

Was my mechanism accurate or am I out in left field?

Technically, surgery is on the thyroid, which the parathyroid is attached to. Removing all of the parathyroids during a total thyroidectomy is an error that is known to happen. Think of the parathyroids as collateral damage.

The mechanism of PTH is 1/3 right. It also increases renal reabsorption of Ca, and increases renal 1, 25 Vitamin D production which in turn increases gut absorption of Ca.

A common treatment for parathyroid removal is to simply have the person carry around a package of Tums (Calcium Carbonate) and take one when they start to feel their face become twitchy (aforementioned Chvostek's sign).

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
The real question is, if they remove the thyroid, where do they stick the parathyroids?

JPINFV

Gadfly
The real question is, if they remove the thyroid, where do they stick the parathyroids?

If they can leave one in the neck, they do so.

If they need to be able to access it in case it needs to be resected further they stick it in the arm.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Inspired by a recent post in the 100% Directionless Thread...

Identify the medical term for the flab of skin that hangs below the belly button in obese individuals. (Reference: http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/...0-B124-4C86AF39DD4D-1335-000000D4CDDC6430.jpg)

Double points if you can name both the medical term and the closely related generalized term!

Actually learned this in class.

Pannus.

And I don't know the generalized term. I call it FUPA. Fat upper pubic area.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
FUPA.

Now give me my cookie. :cool:

Dang it, Anjel!!! :mad:

Anjel

Forum Angel
FUPA.

Now give me my cookie. :cool:

Dang it, Anjel!!! :mad:

I'll share my cookie.

American-Cookie-meme-american-beauty-meme-cookie-monster-sesame-street-pbs-cookies_thumb.jpg

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually learned this in class.

Pannus.

And I don't know the generalized term. I call it FUPA. Fat upper pubic area.

Actually, pannus IS the generalized term, although I'm not entirely sure that 'generalized' is the right word. Popularly adopted perhaps.

In the strictest sense, the flap is not a pannus but a panniculus adiposus, because it is hanging. (Pannus refers only to an abnormal layer of tissue.)

OP
OP
VFlutter

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Great job guys...and girls.

What are the signs/symptoms of Grave's disease?