pic from the air

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Flight-LP said:
Uh Jon,
The Bell 206, 407, A-Star, and EC-130 all only have one engine. And the BO-105 was not a bad platform in its day, its just hard tog et parts for these days. Again, I'd rather be in a single engine Bell. Proven, efficient, cost effective to operate...........
Flight-LP... I thought there was some rule that Flight services had to run 2-engine birds for safety... I guess I was told wrong :(

As for the BO-105... a local service here had an old, (east?) german pilot who worked for them... He was a TEST pilot for the BO-105... He buzzed the hospital they were based out of for FUN... and he KNEW what that craft could do... and was, from everything I've heard, THE BEST pilot EVER around here, at least when it came to the BO-105.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope, no rule........

The only advantage you have with a second engine is it gives you a few extra seconds before # 2 fails and you start to descend - whether you want to or not!

Most single's will autorotate more efficiently than a twin and most have a flexible rotor system or at least a hingless one - Both items can be key factors to your survival if you lose your engine...........