Personalities... Thick skin.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I meant after the two comments before mine.

OP
OP
C

Cody1911

Forum Crew Member
Hey everybody. Just a little update...

I won't go long into this but it seems everyone is treating me bad now. No calls... Anything like that. I won't go into detail. I had a discussion with some people. Being very professional. They were extremely rude and said some not so nice things. I was honestly in shock. I did learn though I was getting in their way. I did feel bad about that...

But what was said after made me realize I am resigning from the dept in September. A few of my buddies who were on the dept told me some things. I always wondered why they left... Now I know why.

I am still getting my EMT in september though. I am working a job as well. It will all work out since getting on for an ambulance was what I always wanted anyway. The fire dept I was on with has changed a lot.

Just thought I would update you, this topic really is over since I won't be on for much longer on the dept. I won't get into details though... There's no point. It just shocked me what was said...

I may even try to get on as an ER tech for a while after school too since I am going after my IV cert. I just wanted to thank all of you for the support and awesome replies. I will be sticking around the forums.

-Cody

Last edited by a moderator:

Rettsani

Forum Captain
Rett- I have a job now.

I am glad to read that you have a job. I have often read that it is not easy to live in your country. ^_^

But yeah you are correct on the second part. I dont know, but I do know there are people without any certs like myself who have been on for over ten years. Thats changing in September. I forgot to mention there's a mandatory academy I have to go through which starts very soon for all volunteers.

I've read now everything here, what you have written. And yes, the way to become a EMT is not really easy for everyone. Sometimes lying many stones in the way. I've learned in 18 years that not everything that glitters is gold. My way to become a EMT has also led over detours and not everyone were nice to me. Many have even questioned me very rude. But if you really want something then you have to stand over it.
But if it's worth get a thick skin, I do not know. For some situations, it is certainly practical, but it can also harm. My skin has become thinner over the years, but I can still turn off, after a duty.. This is very important.

Incidentally, I've also started a volunteer in 1995 as I was 16.5 years old. For me it all began with a first aid course at the Red Cross.
It was a kind of fascination, which the instructor triggered in me. So I joined in a civil protection/ Disaster Relief unit to learn more and to gain experience.
However, I'm 4 years not come far with the training. They have sent me to my chagrin every year only to a internal medical corps training, but never to a rescue service school.
Only 1999 for me was the real breakthrough as the leaders decided that I can start my 520 hours EMT training.. (60 hours medical service training, preliminary test, 100 hours EMT Course/ intermediate Test, 160 hours hospital internship, 160 hours Rescue Service/ EMS Internship, 40 hours EMT Completion Course and Test)

I think that you can do it like all here, if you fight. :)

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Jeez, I'm sorry Cody.. You seem really disappointed and discouraged. You know everyone has trouble getting on their feet in the beginning no matter what kind of career they have.

ER tech is a great job around here, you work directly with the MD.. I mean, what's a better way to learn than spending a 12 hour shift with a doctor?

I hope September opens up some new doors for you.. Sorry you had a bad night, that's really a drag..

Sublime

LP, RN

I won't go long into this but it seems everyone is treating me bad now. No calls... Anything like that. I won't go into detail. I had a discussion with some people. Being very professional. They were extremely rude and said some not so nice things. I was honestly in shock. I did learn though I was getting in their way. I did feel bad about that...

But what was said after made me realize I am resigning from the dept in September. A few of my buddies who were on the dept told me some things. I always wondered why they left... Now I know why.

I am still getting my EMT in september though. I am working a job as well. It will all work out since getting on for an ambulance was what I always wanted anyway. The fire dept I was on with has changed a lot.

Just thought I would update you, this topic really is over since I won't be on for much longer on the dept. I won't get into details though... There's no point. It just shocked me what was said...

I may even try to get on as an ER tech for a while after school too since I am going after my IV cert. I just wanted to thank all of you for the support and awesome replies. I will be sticking around the forums.

-Cody

Don't let some douches at the FD discourage you. You'll find there's no shortage of a-holes in fire/ems, but not everyone or every department is like that. Sounds like you already know what you want to do, just keep at it.

mcdonl

Forum Captain

-Cody

There is a LOT of drama and negativity in mixed volunteer/paid departments. I live it everyday.

Dont give up, and my advice is dont resign. Stay on the roster, and go to trainings. If the chief says you should be going to 60% of the calls than ask him to clarify that number to see if he means fire calls.

Can you apply for a "leave of absence" when you start EMT school? Most departments wont let you back if you quit, but cannot refuse an LOA for education. Then you can come back AFTER you have your cert.... and license.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
EMS and especially Fire is full of uptight A holes on a power trip. Dealing with these people is one of the less appealing aspects of EMS. You occasionally run into a military or police reject who lives out his hero fantasies in EMS.

Having said that, without some training you probably arent of much use and there are valid reasons why they probably prefer you not respond to calls, at least until you're in an EMT program.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
EMS and especially Fire is full of uptight A holes on a power trip. Dealing with these people is one of the less appealing aspects of EMS. You occasionally run into a military or police reject who lives out his hero fantasies in EMS.

Having said that, without some training you probably arent of much use and there are valid reasons why they probably prefer you not respond to calls, at least until you're in an EMT program.

Case and point:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...-phoenix_n_3028584.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news

mcdonl

Forum Captain
"One resembled a penis and the other looked like a vagina, according to MSN. His name was written on the feminine dried noodle."

Haha. That was awesome.