Patient Question

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
In the BLS class I took as a prereq to the EMT-B class I am not getting ready to take, we were taught that when perfomring CPR, it is best to remove all clothing from the chest and that that meant everything including any undershirts, bras or swimsuits.

Is this really necessary?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes. You aren't going to attach an AED OVER an undershirt now, are you? Also, it will help ensure that you are doing CPR at the proper site.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
No, obviously for and AED its necessary, but I was wondering if its good practice to do it for CPR alone.

oneluv79

Forum Crew Member
Once i was in the ambulance, the paramedic removed my covers again she gave me a full physical workup including a pelvic, is this at all needed? She didn't cover me up until we arrived at the e.r.

According to the.... Patient Assessment/ Management (Trauma) version (from EMT-B training)

1. BSI
2. Scene Safety
3. MOI/NOI
4. # of patients
5. Additional help
6. C-spine
7. General impression
8. LOC
9-10. Chief complaint
Assesses airway/breathing
-apply O2 / assure adequate breathing
Assesses circulation
-control major bleeding
-check pulses
-check skin (color, temp.,condition)

11. Make transport decisions
12. Focused history and physical Exam/Rapid Assessment
13. S/S (sample history)assessments (any or all of the following: respiratory, cardiac, AMS, allergic reaction, poisoning/overdose, environmental emergency, OB, and behavioral)
14. A
15. M
16. P
17. L
18. E
19. Perform Focused phy. exam ( assess affected body parts/systems (completes rapid assessment (can be done as or with #23) (your hip/pelvic area applies here b/c you hit the floor, but not the removing of your underwear b/c there was NO direct trauma to your genital area )
20. Vitals
21. Obtain MD for medications (Interventions)
22. Transport
23. Complete detailed phy. en route
24. Ongoing Assessments ( checking vitals and ABC' s, pulses etc...)

Which it seems they did things along those line....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No, obviously for and AED its necessary, but I was wondering if its good practice to do it for CPR alone.

It is not uncommon. Seriously, if you are performing CPR the patient is dead, right? It allows you locate landmarks easier and better as described. If you feel uncomfortable about it, then don't. Just don't surprised when I do. I can guarantee you I will. (I have to period).

Also oneluv79, assessing the pelvis is NOT the same as a pelvic examination.

R/r 911