Part-Time EMT-B's?

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Just wanted to see if some part-timer's could post what hours/days they work.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Not everyone posts a response to every thread they view, and not everyone here is part time. We've got part time, full time, and volunteers here. Give it some time for a response.

mwest75

Forum Ride Along
Hours Worked

I am a part time volunteer. I work my day job from 6-5 M-F and then each Thursday I Volunteer from 6P to Friday 6 A and just go in a little later. I then pull a 24 every other Saturday and any other special events if needed.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I plan on working part-time when I get out of school. I have a job M-F 7a-4p, and I wanted to try to work weekends. If I can find a paying job that will pay me for weekends. Working Friday, Saturday, Sunday that would be good, just trying to get a feel what hours others might work. I am also on-call 1 week out of 4, for my regular job, so one whole week I wont be able to work. I am hoping that this will be understandable, if I can't find a paying job, then I will work volunteer.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Different places have different schedules. Where I work full-time, the full timers are on a platoon rotation that repeats every 4 weeks, and has us working every other weekend.

There are times for part timers to fill in on our 12 hour shifts, and there are also other time slots for part timers to cover at the main station.

At my volunteer squad, the day shift (6a-6p) is covered by a mix of full and part timers during the week (full time employees work 4 10-hour days), and 5 part-time employees on Saturday and Sunday.

At the private Co. I work part-time at, there are set shifts, and people are plugged in as they are available. I usually just sign up for shifts on the event calender, which is at least 1 month out. It would be conceivable for someone to work most weekends... it would also mean that full time employees didn't HAVE to work the weekend (because it is nice to have a day off).

The hospital I used to work at had a common shift that was 2 eight hour shifts every other weekend... work 7a-3p/3p-11p/11p-7a on Saturday and Sunday, then off the next weekend. Some people did this schedule with 12 hour shifts, too.

So... in short - talk with the local company, and be honest up front about how many hours you can work a week for them, and what sort of schedule. You may not fit in with the schedule in some places... but you may find an employer that is happy to have someone with regular weekend availibility.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Our part timers work 12 or 24 hour shifts. Personally, we prefer NOT to hire anyone that only can do weekends, as people tend to take off during the week as well. We also require a minimum of hours per month to maintain employment status.

R/r 911

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Our part timers work 12 or 24 hour shifts. Personally, we prefer NOT to hire anyone that only can do weekends, as people tend to take off during the week as well. We also require a minimum of hours per month to maintain employment status.

R/r 911

I already found a place that wants to hire me as a driver only after I get my ambulance license. Not sure if I will wait until I finish EMT-B or not yet.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I talked to the local ambo company, they need a on-call EMT. I am close enough to the station to do this. I work 7a-4p M-F; I am going to see about being on call M-F 7p-7a and Sat. Sun. 24 hr on call. Hopefully I can swing this, now just to get class done and study hard.

gunner2927

Forum Probie
I talked to the local ambo company, they need a on-call EMT. I am close enough to the station to do this. I work 7a-4p M-F; I am going to see about being on call M-F 7p-7a and Sat. Sun. 24 hr on call. Hopefully I can swing this, now just to get class done and study hard.
I work part time for a dept now and as a part-timer we have 2 opps... we can work every 3rd day 12 hour shift or every 6th day for a 24 hour shift now people thing by working the every 6th day shift they won’t be getting as many hours and that’s untrue I work that shift and I get as many hours as someone that works every 3rd day the reason I pick the 24hrs every 6 is because the pay diff. from day to night we get more pay during the day then we would at night

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
The place I will hopefully be working is a private ambulance company. I think you get paid to be "on-call" then you get $25 minimum per call out. If call last more than 1 hour you get paid by the hour. When you are done with call you go back home.

rmellish

Forum Captain
I work two jobs part time by definition. Every company and service does it differently, but there is usually a minimum of hours you must work in a month, and a set number of inservices to attend. When I'm in school M-F I'll work
fri-sat 24hr 1200-1200, or fri-sun 48hr 1200-1200

During the summer or school breaks I'll hold anywhere from 40-100 hours between two services on a floating schedule. The biggest difference between full-time and part time, aside from the PTO, health, and other benefits, is that full-time tend to work a set shift, and part time tend to work on an availability based schedule. This setup varies, I'd suggest just asking any of your local providers.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm not sure where you are... I've seen "on call" work for some REALLY small priviate EMS companies... espicially when the "on call" staffs a 2nd truck because the night crew is getting slammed.

Before you volunteer to do too much, make sure that the workload really isn't that bad. Personally, I try to avoid scheduling myself to work more than 24 hours straight (at jobs where I can sleep), because I want to make sure I can get sleep. If I planned to go for 48 hours and "get sleep at work"... that would end up biting me in the a**... and I don't want to do something careless and/or stupid because I'm too tired.

Additionally... when you are on call, you will likely need to be within a certain time limit of response to the base - and you will not be allowed to consume alcohol... if that matters to you.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes we only have one 24/7 truck, the other truck is a "call in" truck. They stated that it sometimes used 3 to 4 times a week. It handles the entire county I live in, which is rural. I only live about 5 minutes from the service and they seemed really excited to talk to me. I don't know if its because the other call-out folks live far away or what. I am just going to focus on my schooling in the fall, and then focus on getting work with them. I think EMT makes .69 cent to $1 per hr. on call.