paramedicchick2246

Forum Ride Along
I am currently taking courses in school to become a paramedic
but I heard you need to know how to do mathemathic conversion problems to
administer the right amount of medications. I am not
that great in math but my heart is set on being a paramedic
so my question, if you would be so kind as to reply,
is how Often do Paramedics use conversion problems on a day to day
basis.... is there usually bottles of medicine that are already pre-calculated the
amount that the patient will be given? How often do paramedics use mathematic conversions?
Please let me know!!! :) Thanks!!! Daniela

medic417

The Truth Provider
You will use math quite a bit. Some services protocols though put a chart so you don't have to as much but it is still better to double check by doing the math. EMS math is actually not hard.

http://ems-safety.com/emsfiles.htm has a good simple math for Paramedics free download.

http://emsbootcamp.com/2010/07/medical-math/ has a great video program but costs about $15. He teaches you 1 formula that covers just about every math problem you will face as a Paramedic. It is much easier to remember 1 formula rather than a bunch.

Hope this helps. With those two items you should be able to master the math needed to be a Paramedic.;)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
if I can do it, anyone else can too.

I was (i would say still) extremely bad at math. But a couple of friends of mine got together a few years ago to help me. One explained that math is a standard way of imagining things and that there are certain rules. It took some time and effort but I finally learned them.

I also like to work with just a handful of equations. A conversion factor which is found in any college level general chemistry book, is one equation that can be used for any med math you need.

As for the rest, once you can manipulate equations, PV=nRT pretty much serves anything else you could possibly need in medicine.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Have no fear, I have gone no farther than college algebra and had no problem passing LPN school. And we did a lot of drug math, if I recall correctly a whole workbook's worth of math and they found a way to sneak some dose on hand, drip rate questions etc. into every test. Work at it till the lightbulb goes off above your head.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Have no fear, I have gone no farther than college algebra and had no problem passing LPN school. And we did a lot of drug math, if I recall correctly a whole workbook's worth of math and they found a way to sneak some dose on hand, drip rate questions etc. into every test. Work at it till the lightbulb goes off above your head.

I enjoyed college algebra, math systems and statistics and probablility are the ones that left a bad taste in my mouth. :)

Sasha

Forum Chief
I enjoyed college algebra

You sick, sick man.... How could anyone enjoy math?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I enjoyed epidemiology, which is basically applied math.

/my undergrad didn't offer algebra for credit.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I enjoyed epidemiology, which is basically applied math.

/my undergrad didn't offer algebra for credit.

We had already established that there's something off about you, JP :p

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
How often math is used is largely not relevant; the point is that it is a required skill you need. Go take some math classes.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Thread closed but remaining since there have been multiple threads created by the same user on the same topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.