Paramedic program in Florida

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
I might go on a 1 year program working for Disney World in Orlando starting in july. Does anybody know of a good paramedic program there, maybe something online? Would I be able to work 40 hours + in periods while doing the paramedic course or will that just be too much?
How long are the paramedic programs?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I worked 36-48 hours a week through a traditional paramedic program.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Whatever you do, don't go to City College. OMI probably has the fastest (9 months) and most flexible program (with a good curriculum) , but I don't think they're accredited yet. RTI is their sister school, and is very similar. You can't go wrong with the "state colleges" Valencia and Seminole, but they may not accept you, and they take 3 semesters for medic.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
I might go on a 1 year program working for Disney World in Orlando starting in july. Does anybody know of a good paramedic program there, maybe something online? Would I be able to work 40 hours + in periods while doing the paramedic course or will that just be too much?

How long are the paramedic programs?

Just a heads up, if you don't know this already, but the hours you work at Disney will be weird, and you probably won't have a regular schedule. My wife and many of my friends have worked there in a number of jobs from food to custodial to Mickey Mouse, and it's largely the same for all of those jobs. It should be a blast though.

OP
OP
S

Sr Dingdong

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the replies. I looked at PERCOM and National EMS Academy also, they looked like good options.

I am not quite sure if I will do it while on the Disney program tho, I did my first program in 2010 and its not the optimal place to do some serious studying on my spare time, to say the least.
Assuming I do get the job, I look at it as my last "purely for fun" thing I will do before starting my studies and finally grow up :) So I really wanna enjoy the time and do and see all the things I didnt have time or money for, or just didnt know about at my last program.
An alternative would maybe be to try to get a student visa after my program do it then instead.

EMedCounsel

Forum Probie
Whatever you do, don't go to City College. OMI probably has the fastest (9 months) and most flexible program (with a good curriculum) , but I don't think they're accredited yet. RTI is their sister school, and is very similar. You can't go wrong with the "state colleges" Valencia and Seminole, but they may not accept you, and they take 3 semesters for medic.

I second going to a state college. I went through Seminole; it's a good program, and shift-friendly.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
I second going to a state college. I went through Seminole; it's a good program, and shift-friendly.

The state college system will be very expensive if you are forced to pay out of state tuition. One of the privates may be cheaper however your schedule may become overloaded quickly between school, clinical time, and work at the mouse. Good luck!

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks for the replies. I looked at PERCOM and National EMS Academy also, they looked like good options.

I am not quite sure if I will do it while on the Disney program tho, I did my first program in 2010 and its not the optimal place to do some serious studying on my spare time, to say the least.

Assuming I do get the job, I look at it as my last "purely for fun" thing I will do before starting my studies and finally grow up :) So I really wanna enjoy the time and do and see all the things I didnt have time or money for, or just didnt know about at my last program.

An alternative would maybe be to try to get a student visa after my program do it then instead.

That's a great idea. My wife did the program twice, and we visit multiple times a year (or try to). We actually have a couple of friends who are seasonal and one who works there full time. We will eventually be trying to move back there, as my wife wants to work there permanently if it's ever an option.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I feel like Disney would be a really good company to work for.