Paramedic Polygraph in Canada? (or elsewhere)

Exavise

Forum Ride Along
Hello, so I am just about to start classes to become an EMR, (which I believe is called a first responder in the U.S.) and plannin on working in the oil field to save money to become an EMT. However on Canada day (July 1) I got drunk with some old high school friends and smoked some pot (not the smartest idea). My understanding is that in Alberta at least you can not have commited any crimes in the last 3 years to work in EMS (I would plan to be an EMT by this time). I havn't smoked pot since or well before that and have not been involved in any thing illegal (well maybe I took a couple pens home from work and didn't return them) aside from that. So my question is would that be over looked? Also do paramedics take a polygraph? I understand that fire fighters do but I havent heard anything about paramedics. Thanks!

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
I remember on the second night of my EMT course, they made us give some personal information and sign a paper saying we have never been convicted of a crime. They said they needed our information (and consent) to run background checks. They might do the same to you, but I'm not sure.

Stupid question probably, but were you actually placed in cuffs and/or charged with a crime? Here in New York that would be a fine at most...90% of the time it would just be a verbal warning (and if underage, a call to mommy and daddy to come pick you up).

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Hello, so I am just about to start classes to become an EMR, (which I believe is called a first responder in the U.S.

EMR in Alberta is the equivalent of an EMT-Basic in the USA.

OP
OP
E

Exavise

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the replies, no I was never convicted of anything, nor have I been charged. Mostly wondering if past drug use would be takin into consideration. Or if anyone had been polygraphed. Ive done other drugs in the past but will not be doing that again.I would be putting a couple years between that, finishing school and applying with an EMS.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
Thanks for the replies, no I was never convicted of anything, nor have I been charged. Mostly wondering if past drug use would be takin into consideration. Or if anyone had been polygraphed. Ive done other drugs in the past but will not be doing that again.I would be putting a couple years between that, finishing school and applying with an EMS.

If you were never convicted of anything I don't see it showing up in a background check.

I really don't see being polygraphed after a background check, unless it was the employer's policy and at their expense....or you had a really bad cover id. :lol:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You'll be fine. They aren't going to spend the money polygraph you. It just isn't cost effective.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
mmmm drugs are bad, mmmmmmk?

Haha but in all seriousness your fine. Everyone has their fun, get it outta your system then leave it in the past and no one will ever hold it against you. You weren't arrested/convicted so they have no right to know about it. Let sleeping dogs lie.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
Hello, so I am just about to start classes to become an EMR, (which I believe is called a first responder in the U.S.) and plannin on working in the oil field to save money to become an EMT. However on Canada day (July 1) I got drunk with some old high school friends and smoked some pot (not the smartest idea). My understanding is that in Alberta at least you can not have commited any crimes in the last 3 years to work in EMS (I would plan to be an EMT by this time). I havn't smoked pot since or well before that and have not been involved in any thing illegal (well maybe I took a couple pens home from work and didn't return them) aside from that. So my question is would that be over looked? Also do paramedics take a polygraph? I understand that fire fighters do but I havent heard anything about paramedics. Thanks!

As an Albertan I can probably give you better information than anyone else on this site (not to gloat; there just aren't very many Albertans here)

First, congrats on your decision. It will be long, but fun.

Secondly, while smoking marijuana is not legal in Canada, the police are rather tolerant and forgiving for a small amount of marijuana for personal use. At most the stuff would have been taken away and stepped into the ground or thrown in the trash (unless you're not being smart and annoy the cop).

Thirdly, you do not require to undergo a polygraph to enter the EMT-A programs. Some (but not all) services require it for hiring. Same goes for firefighting; some (but not all) services require it for hiring.

Fourthly, if you have not been charged with anything (and more so if you had not been convicted of anything) then there is nothing regarding it on a criminal record and thus would not appear on a background check. However, as a morality and honesty thing, you can still claim it during a polygraph. Let's put it this way, would you hire a person who bends the truth to weasel their way out of trouble or would you rather hire somebody who can be open and honest with thins even as small as smoking some of a joint 1, or 2, or 3, or 5, or 10 years ago? It shows character.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Not only was he not charged, or convicted it sounds like he was never even caught.

OP, none of us will rat you out so you should be safe :)

You seem a little paranoid son, are you sure you only smoked that one time?

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
The one thing I can suggest is to make 100% certain that you are off it and done forever. The one thing that is most likely to come back on you is a drug test.