Paramedic certified or degree??

Chanda

Forum Ride Along
So as I previously said in my intro, I just enrolled in my 1st semester of college to get my AAS as a Paramedic. But I'm curious to get your insight on the matter of Certificate vs Degree.. Since majority of you are already working in the field in one form or another is there any significant differences you've seen working with people who have one or the other? (Aside of being able to say they have a degree) such as experience? Knowledge? Or are they for the most part the same? I keep having people say "you don't need a degree for that...blah blah" and they seem to have the same classes but I want to be sure I'm getting the best instruction so I'm prepared for the job once I'm on my own...

medic417

The Truth Provider
Search will reveal this discussion multiple times in the past months. In fact I believe this morning or yesterday there were were 2 discussions posted already about this.

edited to ad this link to a discussion that links to 2 more. http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=23450

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
If you're already in college, what are you even asking? If you should drop out of an accredited educational institute to take a private paramedic course, because some anti-intellectuals told you that you can get by without getting a degree?

OP
OP
C

Chanda

Forum Ride Along
If you're already in college, what are you even asking? If you should drop out of an accredited educational institute to take a private paramedic course, because some anti-intellectuals told you that you can get by without getting a degree?

Most definitely not. I'm just asking if there was any difference since the classes seem to be the same. Such as does one get more experience then the other or if there was any actual difference to define them as separate. I've read through other posts and they all either throw around a bunch of acronyms (which I don't know what they mean since I'm just begining) or simply seem to turn into back & forth bickering matches.. Basically just trying to get a comparison from those who have already been through it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Both teach you the same basic patient care material. The certificate programs usually do not count as college credit so later it is not going to help if you continue your education. The degree program includes additional classes almost all of which could also count toward other college degree plans later in life. As to jobs 99% of companies could care less which one you have. There are many that would like to see a degree mandatory but I do not see that happening very soon.

And this thread if it lasts will turn to fighting which is best or why it really doesn't matter it's up to each person, blah, blah, blah. :p

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Before I signed up for school I called the service I planned to work for and their exact words were "An AAS is the way of the future." if you plan on sticking it out in EMS it's worth having and you will be a more knowledgeable provider because of it out of the gate. If you're a short timer thinking of jumping ship to nursing or any of the other careers in healthcare it's probably not worth the extra time, most places won't pay you any more because you have an AAS.

Jeff Toorish

Forum Probie
Just to add my two cents--

I'm starting paramedic school in the fall, taking a summer course to get a head start.

I looked into just getting certified, without the degree. I decided against that for a couple of reasons.

• As has been mentioned, the degree course will count for further education. The certification program probably won't, at least not completely.
  • Oddly, the degree course was actually less expensive, although it will take a bit longer.
  • Frankly, I was concerned about the quality of the certification programs I looked into.
  • The degree program is part of an overally health/medical program at the local community college and its standards are clearly very high.

Incidentally, I already have a BA, so the AAS degree is not all that important to me in and of itself. But I am considering further medical training and having some of the specific course necessary for graduation will likely be very important later.

Jeff

Tommerag

What day is it?
I am currently enrolled in certificate program, but after I complete it I talked to one of the local CC's and they said they would "transfer" my certificate to their medic classes for $20/credit and then I would have to take like 10 credits or so and I would get an AAS from them. Then using that AAS to count as 42 credits towards a BS in Health Sciences.