Paracetamol with Ibuprofen

BoonDoc

Forum Crew Member
Or Tylenol with Ibuprofen for those of you over on the other side of the pond...

Have heard really good results with 1 gram of Paracetamol with 400mg of Ibuprofen for minor pain. Have used this in operational medicine for minor blisters, dental pain, headaches or post suturing.

It seems to work better than just one or the other.

PubMed shows some good research on this combination and sometimes states it is equal to 2mg MS.

Anyone have similar results?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I work in an industrial medical clinic setting. We use the combination and it works quite well. We also use ketorolac quite a bit.

sinus

Forum Probie
A great combo; one potentiates the other without any significant pharmacokinetic interactions.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Tylenol#1 is otc up here in Canada. Each tab is 250-300 mg acetaminophen/ 30 mg caffeine / 8 mg codeine.
The thing I love about working in a clinic setting is having several options for pain management . I have several otcs , (regular and prescription strength ) entonox, several opiates, benzos and ketamine.
While it is nice having the big guns most pain I encounter is relieved by the ibuprofen / Tylenol combo.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
These meds do work very well not just as primary management for mild pain, but also as adjuncts to opioids in moderate and severe pain.

Their usefulness is limited in street EMS, of course, by their long onset times and the oral route of administration.....though suppositories are certainly available. :D

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We use it. We give 600 of ibuprofen rather than 400 though. Works well.

We give straight Tylenol for fevers.