"Panic" codes

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
I read in another thread about a Pt getting upset when he overheard an EMT radioing for PD backup, which got me wondering...

Here in Phoenix, we have a radio code that we can say over the radio which is essentially a "panic" code (I won't divulge it since I'm not sure if it's public record or not). All we have to do is say our unit number and this numeric code, and PD gets dispatched Code 3 to our location, no questions asked. It's only to be used in dire situations (someone just pulled a gun, etc.) but I think it's a good idea.

So does anyone else have this? You don't have to tell us what the code is; I'm just curious if anyone else has this option.

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, we have a code for PD. All our radios also have emergency buttons on them. You push it and it sends a message to dispatch screen. Tells them who's radio it is and gives their location. Dispatch will ask for a 10-4, if we don't answer, all hell breaks loose!

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Our radios also have a "panic" button. I think it's kind of easy to bump accidentially...(I've done it!:unsure:)

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have not asked about panic code on my medic rotations but I think if you use your actaul first name on the radio to everything is fine, its assumed your having an emergency. No one uses their name on the radio.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Here in New Zealand, we have 2 police urgent radio codes (1 for needing police if problem with pt, etc, 1 for Ambulance Officers are in danger), also we have a panic button on the radio, so we are well covered!

Cheers Enjoynz

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmmm I like the panic code idea. In search and rescue we use the term 'antenna check' to mean we have found the subject and are moving from a search to a recovery (subject is dead). We do this because to announce within the possible hearing of family members that their loved one has passed away can be traumatic.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
We have panic buttons that we can activate dispatch located on portables and in units as well. Unfortunately, they do become activated accidentally. Dispatch will ask if we are 10-4, and we have a specified okay response.

One of the EMS in a larger metro has the same device and there question is in regards to shift change time, in accordance to that unit. If they do not respond appropriately an emergency response (LEO, etc) is activated.

R/r 911

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
We have a word. We use it in situations when we need police or if we are about to pepper spray someone which usually also means we need police. It just lets dispatch and our parteners know we need help. I dont know where It came from and I laughted the first time I was told what it was but it works so what ever.

NJN

The Young One
We have 2 ways for asking for LEOs, it depends on what we need them for. If its just for bystander or traffic control then we just ask for a unit. If we need backup, e.g. the pt. is threatening or something along those lines we have a 10code for that.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
We never had a code word, but I think it's a great idea! We had a service-wide code word that a tech would say/scream that would make the driver:
1. Light it up
2. Slam on the brakes
3. Radio for help
4. Help out in back

firecoins

IFT Puppet
If we can ask on the radio for another unit, either for non emergency or emergency reasons, we do so. No codes needed. If we can't ask, we may have a problem.

Epi-do

I see dead people
We have a button on the radio that we can push. Of course, the problem with that is that some of the dispatchers will announce that your radio is in emergency status before asking if you need anything. Ok if it is accidental, but not so good if you really do have a problem.

I used to work for a place that would give you an open mic for 10-15 seconds when you hit the emergency button on the radio. That way everyone could hear what was happening and dispatch wouldn't have to ask any questions that may get you into even more trouble.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
we have a signal "130" which just means needs officer backup. officially it's our county's police signals, however we get toned out with to their signals also. e.g. 108=mvc c injuries 113=edp. 119=intox.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
we have a signal "130" which just means needs officer backup. officially it's our county's police signals, however we get toned out with to their signals also. e.g. 108=mvc c injuries 113=edp. 119=intox.

but you don't need the code 130 to get a cop because you just say you need one if for some reason they aren't already there.

jordanfstop

Forum Lieutenant
but you don't need the code 130 to get a cop because you just say you need one if for some reason they aren't already there.

i was going on the OP's question about asking dispatch without having to actually say something regarding PD.

fyrdog

Forum Lieutenant
We have the panic button on the portables. Only problem is dispatch calls and asks why the emergency beacon is activated. This has been brought up but nothing has been done to fix it.

Grady_emt

Forum Captain
We have several codes that we use, as well as the essentially pointless "panic" button. I say that because our radios get swapped around so radio just does a roll call for several minutes until everyone answers if one goes off.

At 20 minutes onscene time (every 10 there-after), and whenever we ask for PD, radio asks if we are code $%. We have specific responses for yes and no and are expected to elaborate (ie crew:radio we need PD to our location for a combative pt. "are you code $%?" crew:yes we are code &* for now) If we do not answer radio after 5 attempts, PD and a supervisor are started to the call.

We also have another code (well signal technically) that we use for a crew in immediate life threatening danger, and PD and a Supervisor are started emergent without any further questioning of the crew.

In all of these instances, normal radio traffic is moved to another channel so that the endangered crew can speak as needed.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
my call sign plus "need pd priority"

one time, i was questioned as to why i needed pd. the next day, there was a flyer at my house advertising an opening in communications

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Interesting I was just told what to do if I was thought my life was threatened what to say and if I was just scared...Its a great idea to have the codes especially since sometimes I'm all alone at the station...it gets a little freaky!

natrab

Forum Crew Member
Ditto on the panic button where dispatch comes up saying "440 you're emergency button's been activated." I think in a real emergency I would switch my radio to page only mode before hitting the button (thankfully the page only switch is larger than the panic button). Almost every call has PD dispatched automatically though and it's very rare to get there before they do.