"Panic Code" Emergency Procedures

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
Hello everyone,

I'm working on a "panic code" protocol for my volunteer EMS agency. It's supposed to describe in detail what exactly happens when a panic code is declared over the radio. For example, Dispatcher attempts to gather further information, Dispatcher calls PD and gives them crew member names/last known location, Dispatcher calls Chief, Chief calls Deputy Chiefs, Chief responds and interfaces with PD, etc.

I was hoping some of you might have some input or be able to help me. Thanks!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Our protocol: Hope for the best!

Seriously I don't remember a specific protocol... But we've had a few crews attacked by psychs lately!!

OP
OP
S

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
That's kind of where we've been lately, but with some recent incidents, we're trying to firm things up a little bit. I'd hate to have to explain to someone why we weren't prepared for the worst.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We get a bunch of PD officers another EMS unit and an Engine crew.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hello everyone,

I'm working on a "panic code" protocol for my volunteer EMS agency. It's supposed to describe in detail what exactly happens when a panic code is declared over the radio. For example, Dispatcher attempts to gather further information, Dispatcher calls PD and gives them crew member names/last known location, Dispatcher calls Chief, Chief calls Deputy Chiefs, Chief responds and interfaces with PD, etc...

Do you guys carry pagers? Do the chiefs? The dispatcher should just be able to drop a page to all the chiefs letting them know of the incident.

EDIT: Do you have multiple radio channels? Do you use 10 codes? How do you prevent the bad guy from hearing the radio traffic?

Last edited by a moderator:

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
We just press the red button (or say Medic # code red) and we get an ambulance, an engine crew, and every available officer to our location

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
Do you guys carry pagers? Do the chiefs? The dispatcher should just be able to drop a page to all the chiefs letting them know of the incident.

EDIT: Do you have multiple radio channels? Do you use 10 codes? How do you prevent the bad guy from hearing the radio traffic?

We don't carry pagers, but the dispatch software is set up to text the Chief's phones, so essentially it treats their personal cell phones like pagers.

We have one dedicated radio channel, as well as one inter-agency channel that PD officers, as well as several non-emergency agencies, can access from their portables.
We use mostly plain English - no 10-codes, but there is a numeric "oh :censored::censored::censored::censored:" code (pardon my French). So essentially, we're trying to write a protocol on what happens when that numeric code is broadcast.