Packing a lunch

djarmpit

Forum Lieutenant
I'm tired of packing sandwiches. What do you guys bring for lunch!?

Skittles

Forum Probie
Salad with grilled chicken. Yoghurt, pudding, carrots, orange, crackers. Most recent lunch I packed. Unfortunately, sandwiches are most convenient. Try switching it up, grilled chicken with veggies, chicken salad with almonds and dried cranberries, switch up the bread.
Left over dinner, instant oatmeal. tabbouleh salad doesn't need to be refrigerated. Shepherds pie is really good. I always make sure to pack a variety. Lots of fruit, veggies, snacks.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Anything that's good cold or unheated. I try and eat the meal ASAP so it's not sitting too long.

Chicken, fish, fruit (whole or dried), vegetables, cornbread, nuts, rice, yogurt, protein shake or fruit smoothie.

Sushi has always grossed me out but I'm tempted to try it and get into it, being that quality fish is excellent for you.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Personally a cold cut sand which is okay once in awhile, but they really aren't great for you. When I do get cold cuts it's low sodium and no nitrates added.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I don't pack a lunch, but maybe I should.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Bagels & cream cheese

Salads. You can even buy plastic Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers that are special made for salads that have a built in holder for dressing that keeps it separate until you're ready to add it.

Anything leftover is portable in Tupperware or a Thermos.. just remember some plastic utensils! Nothing is worse than admiring delicious stuffed meatball leftovers in Tupperware, and no fork in sight. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I rock the slow cooker and premake for the week. Some of my go to recipes:
- Beef brisket
- Korean short ribs
- Beef stew
- Apple BBQ chicken thighs
- Chicken curry

I'll grab a portion from that with some steamed veggies or a salad.
I also tend to make extra at dinners to ensure there's leftovers to pack.

CFal

Forum Captain
Bagels & cream cheese

Salads. You can even buy plastic Tupperware or Rubbermaid containers that are special made for salads that have a built in holder for dressing that keeps it separate until you're ready to add it.

Anything leftover is portable in Tupperware or a Thermos.. just remember a titanium spork! Nothing is worse than admiring delicious stuffed meatball leftovers in Tupperware, and no fork in sight. :(

fixed

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Cooking in bulk is the way to go in terms of time and money.

Some good stuff I got at trader joes

Bananas
Kiwis
Trail mix
Cranberry/blueberry bran muffins
Cultured coconut milk with vanilla
Quinoa bread
Greek yogurt
Blueberries

Sublime

LP, RN
I'm tired of packing sandwiches. What do you guys bring for lunch!?

That really depends where I'm working at. If it's at a station with a stove and microwave... the options are endless.

If it's a station with just a microwave, or I'm in a truck that doesn't go to a station, it's a bit different.

Things that can be taken in a lunchbox and eaten cold:

Tuna w/ crackers
cottage cheese
string cheese sticks
greek yogurt
peanut butter sandwiches (add some honey)
almonds, peanuts, trailmix ect.
protein shakes!
salads
boiled eggs
bagels

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Back in the day, when I didn't have a station with a full kitchen and pallets and drums and more than one refrigerator of food lying around, I wouldn't pack a lunch. I figured it was only twelve hours and that I'd eat when I got home.
A soda, a coffee, some peanuts or chips or a hot dog from a 7-11 would get me through. Donuts, too, if I craved some sugar.

I don't do this anymore, thankfully.

Trailmix is great stuff. And beef jerky. REAL beef jerky.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Granola bars are a great snack, so long as you aren't eating the chocolate covered kiddie ones.

My usual lunch is a couple granola bars, an orange, a salad and some crackers. I'm also a caffeine addict, so the requisite thermos of coffee is always on hand...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
depends on the mood

I like salads, and i also like ceviche as you dont need heat to cook it. Plus living by the ocean, scuba diving as a hobby and having a good relationship with the guys at the docks means i can either go lobster hunting or trade with the fishmongers for some bluefin or whatever they hauled that day.

Everyone needs to know a good fishmonger and a good butcher

There is a big orchard near me that has tons of great fruit, and the guy was a patient, so i get in season fruit, toss in a hunk of cheese, maybe some irish cheddar or some other hard cheese, some bread and have a farmers lunch. My partner jokes that i must have an apple tree in my pocket, because im always cutting up an apple

If using a slow cooker
Bourbon bacon chilli-cook the ground beef, tomatoes, onions, chilli tomato sauce and water in the pot. Cook the bacon, then deglaze the pan with bourbon or whiskey and mix in brown sugar to the deglaze. pour the bourbon syrup into the chilli and your done

cprted

Forum Captain
Being single I cook a lot of one dish meals and make enough to get leftovers for a day or two out of it. Casseroles, stews, chili, that sort of thing. Love using the slow cooker. Throw the stuff in before bed, lunch is ready to be packed up when I leave for work and I have hot dinner waiting when I get home :cool:

I also pack a lot a salads. Chopped veggies with salad mix and a separate container for oliver and balsamic vinegar (or whatever you prefer).

I make an effort to eat healthy. It is way too easy to eat crap food everyday in this job.

Masenko

Forum Probie
for quick meals I always like bananas, pears, apples, nuts... trail mix is legit.

Soup in a thermus is nice sometimes too, just not ramen or anything with lots of noodles since the noodles get soggy if left for too long.

Pretty much anything + hummus.

Sushi is always healthy and delicious, but a little expensive to eat regularly.