Oxygen: Does it help with pain?????

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ventmedic, I agree, and I disagree.

"The Bends"...it depends upon the severity. I said it was better than nothing, but until those gas bubbles causing circulatory occlusion are physically out of there, the damage continues. Non-hyperbaric O2 at mean sea level pressures can help by increasing the possibility of O2 perfusion of a gas embolized area via collateral circulation etc, but if the gas embolism gets bad enough there's going to be an infarct if primary circ is not reestablished, and nonhyperbaric
O2 simply cannot do it in time if at all in serious cases. If it could, the U.S. Navy would just put their "bent" divers on O2 instead of jetting them to recompression/decompression centers.

The DAN study is not a scientific statistically controlled or double blind study but an empiric observation, no control group or accomodation for the confounders of false diagnoses and the number of bent folks who each year spontaneously reabsorb and recover. Despite that, I agree that O2 still ought to be administered as it is the best/only measure until proper recompression then decompression are achieved for the more serious cases.

(When I was at Travis AFB's David Grant Medical Center I cared for a non-bends hyperbaric pt. Different gas mixes were administered to people via mask while sitting in a hyperbaric overall environment, quite large, more of a "parlor" than a "tank").

Hyperoxia in the field is pretty rare, versus hyperventilation, which in the field is not too rare. In either event, whether it is the primary diagnosis or not, you displace CO2, which raises pH and makes haemoglobin less able to swap O2 for CO2, causing the S/S in the field, and the tx is the same: less O2.

As for "knowing the cause of the hypeventilation", I agree, but I might use the phrase "knowing how to differentiate between hyperventilation and struggling to get enough air"; as you are getting the pt to the hospital, you are assessing them, and some O2 won't kill either and will help the person who is suffocating. (I don't ever use the clasic brown paper bag, I have hyperventilators breathe through their t-shirt and answer a barrage of questions which forces them to stop long enough to talk, then breath warm humidified rebreathed air; if they get worse or resist, I switch to O2). Theoretically, the gold standard would be field ABG's, but in the field and on the way to defintive care, treat the clinical signs and symptoms, keep 'em alive, but get 'em in.

The stunt with the O2 mask...I was trying to be ironic, when I've seen it work it was accidental and the mask was on (but not the oxygen) for about fifteen seconds. I once picked up a pt from a nursing home, they hoped to get the pt out before she died, to keep their statistics looking good. Amazing how she perked up when we turned her mask O2 from 2 LPM to 8 for a while!

My apology. From now on when I'm wisecracking or being ironic, I'll try to remember to use an emoticon, I forget some folks will take it seriously because they are new to it, etc.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The DAN study is not a scientific statistically controlled or double blind study but an empiric observation, no control group or accomodation for the confounders of false diagnoses and the number of bent folks who each year spontaneously reabsorb and recover. Despite that, I agree that O2 still ought to be administered as it is the best/only measure until proper recompression then decompression are achieved for the more serious cases.

Hyperoxia in the field is pretty rare, versus hyperventilation, which in the field is not too rare. In either event, whether it is the primary diagnosis or not, you displace CO2, which raises pH and makes haemoglobin less able to swap O2 for CO2, causing the S/S in the field, and the tx is the same: less O2.

As for "knowing the cause of the hypeventilation", I agree, but I might use the phrase "knowing how to differentiate between hyperventilation and struggling to get enough air"; as you are getting the pt to the hospital, you are assessing them, and some O2 won't kill either and will help the person who is suffocating. (I don't ever use the clasic brown paper bag, I have hyperventilators breathe through their t-shirt and answer a barrage of questions which forces them to stop long enough to talk, then breath warm humidified rebreathed air; if they get worse or resist, I switch to O2). Theoretically, the gold standard would be field ABG's, but in the field and on the way to defintive care, treat the clinical signs and symptoms, keep 'em alive, but get 'em in.

DAN referenced articles from studies done at hyperbaric centers. You can pull up the actual studies in the references.

Hyperoxygenation increases the PaO2 and does not increase the pH.

Your "hyperoxia" level on 21% or room air will be limited by where you live.

Hyperventilation decreases the PaCO2 and will increase the pH but it may still be in the acidotic range in such cases as sepsis and DKA.
People with pulmonary emboli will "hyperventilate". We do not reduce their O2. Serious shunting and V/Q mismatching? Pneumothorax? We will still do hyperoxygenation for pneumos to displace the nitrogen as a conservative treatment.

Tachynea is a better word to use in the field as a descriptive term since you actually do not know what is happening to the patient medically. If you decide not to transport a patient based on your "hyperventilation" assumption and the patient later requires hospitalization or worst, that word will be picked apart on your run sheet.

A pt can be tachyneic and appear to be "hyperventilating" when they are actually nearing respiratory failure. Kids present this way. Their PaCO2 is climbing along with their pH.

Unless you are absolutely certain it is from an emotional issue from just one time. If it is known to be recurrent, this can bring it to a true medical dx which must also be treated by professionals for Hyperventilation Syndrome.

Don't assume and do a good assessment.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Spelling correction: Tachypnea

As far as my comment about hyperoxia and where you live:

http://www.lib.mcg.edu/edu/eshuphysio/program/section4/4ch3/s4ch3_14.htm

http://www.globalrph.com/martin_4_most2.htm

PAO2 = ((Pb - 47) x FiO2) - PaCO2/0.8

While PCO2 is factored into the equation, The A-a gradient will not be significantly alarming on 21%.

To do studies for the effect of "hyperoxia", we use an nonrebreathing O2 circuit. That is very different from a NRBM used in the field.

DCS also comes with many other clinical manifestations that require oxygen for treatment.

www.medscape.com

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Giving the patient a little O2 may do more to alleviate their "hyperventilation".
I agree, most of the time it may not present with ketone's or other such marker to inform you of the patients Ph balance, therefore like you said i give them O2 in any case.

cakilcrease

Forum Probie
pain happens due to the lack of oxygen. think about it, cardiac ischemia; one of the related signs and/or symptoms is chest pain, when we give oxygen it helps to relieve the pain. this is true with any pain, even in trauma, like a laceration, that portion of the body is no longer intact meaning that perfusion to that portion is lost, and when we perfuse we bring oxygen to the parts of the body that need it. this is what i have been taught by my paramedic instructor and it makes too much... besides it helps us to remember to never deprive a patient of oxygen.

Somedude

Forum Ride Along
Oxygen...

Why oxygen has been known in some circles as a "mircle drug." For significant medical pains and significant MOI oxygen is a proper treatment. But as for just isolated trauma and muscular pain...why not just treat the pain? It is our job to be paramedics, to make people feel a little better and get them to the hospital safely for difinitive treatments. Better to address the main complaints and life threats before attempting to "comfort" the pt. with something that must be discussed if it does actually work. Why not just give the morphine, fentynal, toradol, ect. if not contrainidicated. It is not a very scientific reason, but it is also our job to help the pt. with what we can and as efficently as possible.

Hastings

Noobie
Why oxygen has been known in some circles as a "mircle drug." For significant medical pains and significant MOI oxygen is a proper treatment. But as for just isolated trauma and muscular pain...why not just treat the pain? It is our job to be paramedics, to make people feel a little better and get them to the hospital safely for difinitive treatments. Better to address the main complaints and life threats before attempting to "comfort" the pt. with something that must be discussed if it does actually work. Why not just give the morphine, fentynal, toradol, ect. if not contrainidicated. It is not a very scientific reason, but it is also our job to help the pt. with what we can and as efficently as possible.

By your logic, why not do both?

Somedude

Forum Ride Along
Just simply, why waste the time? There is nothing of an "placibo" effect that a cannula with provide that you cant just simply talking to the pt. enroute to the hospital with a cocktail of magic drugs on board.

Hastings

Noobie
Just simply, why waste the time? There is nothing of an "placibo" effect that a cannula with provide that you cant just simply talking to the pt. enroute to the hospital with a cocktail of magic drugs on board.

Without sounding too...

How long does it take you to give a patient oxygen?

Somedude

Forum Ride Along
Hastings,
Very true, it doesnt take very long at all. After reading this forum it seemed to me that people are thinking much too deeply into this issue. Just as my opinion, if they don't need the O2, why waste any further time, energy, money, and my supply to administer oxygen when I can give meds or provide BLS manuvers to make the pt. just as comfortable. Also I do believe that truely being there just to talk with pt, wearing that uniform, and reassuring them can do worlds more than any procedure. All that leading back too, lets just fix the problem...the pain.

Hastings

Noobie
Hastings,
Very true, it doesnt take very long at all. After reading this forum it seemed to me that people are thinking much too deeply into this issue. Just as my opinion, if they don't need the O2, why waste any further time, energy, money, and my supply to administer oxygen when I can give meds or provide BLS manuvers to make the pt. just as comfortable. Also I do believe that truely being there just to talk with pt, wearing that uniform, and reassuring them can do worlds more than any procedure. All that leading back too, lets just fix the problem...the pain.

Well, after experiencing this thread, I'd "waste" the time, energy, and money just to get a consensus on whether or not oxygen helps with pain. I'm all curious now.

reaper

Working Bum
I think we should just take O2 off the truck. This placebo isn't helping anyone, anyways!:rolleyes:

Somedude

Forum Ride Along
Hey hastings, you gotta let me know how that goes. Maybe ill try a little of that oxygen stuff anyhow just too see how it all works anyway...lol.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Play nice, people.

signadmin1.gif

Hastings

Noobie
Hey hastings, you gotta let me know how that goes. Maybe ill try a little of that oxygen stuff anyhow just too see how it all works anyway...lol.

To be serious, I think it's impossible to tell. I always ask "is that oxygen helping at all" in habit, but it's a stupid question. And what is a patient really going to say? They can say three different things, but neither is really a reliable answer. I give oxygen because the body naturally needs it for almost all processes, it's cheap, there is no downside, and there's no evidence that suggests oxygen DOESN'T help. Oh, and habit.

Besides, with all the TV shows about medicine on today, I'd be surprised if anyone called an ambulance NOT expecting to be put on oxygen. It's just one of those things. Usually, I'm against giving a treatment that doesn't have a proven purpose, but...

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
Trickery just sounds not very nice, when it comes down to it the important thing is to ensure that the pt is getting the best possible medical care, and if that means telling them that the o2 is gonna help them, I think in most cases it will help in one way or another but remember I am just an emt in training.

Somedude

Forum Ride Along
I do understand just exactly what your saying. In the world today though most people c/o a problem and call 911. If that is the case, paramedics should provide whatever care to enable the pt. to be relieved of the complaint. In my experience, pt. call 911 for pain quite a bit. Why not make them as close to pain-free as protocol allows with medication. Its most effective, quicker, and more efficenicent then sitting on-scene hooking up oxygen. Your right, oxygen has no side effects so in a sense, why not is just fine. I do administer oxygen when I administer morphine, but it is given to reverse any chance of respiratory compromise. Either way...this thread does prove to be intresting...

Hastings

Noobie
I do understand just exactly what your saying. In the world today though most people c/o a problem and call 911. If that is the case, paramedics should provide whatever care to enable the pt. to be relieved of the complaint. In my experience, pt. call 911 for pain quite a bit. Why not make them as close to pain-free as protocol allows with medication. Its most effective, quicker, and more efficenicent then sitting on-scene hooking up oxygen. Your right, oxygen has no side effects so in a sense, why not is just fine. I do administer oxygen when I administer morphine, but it is given to reverse any chance of respiratory compromise. Either way...this thread does prove to be intresting...

Good point about oxygen administration and respiratory compromise caused by pharmacology.

You'll be sitting on scene starting that IV to give the drugs though. It's just too convenient not to have someone hook up the oxygen at the same time. Call it trickery, but it does also give the patient the "illusion"(?) that you're doing absolutely everything you can to help them.

But I do give you kudos. I strongly believe that a paramedic should provide all pain control that is possible given the situation. Making people comfortable is a big part of the job; that's something we can agree on.

Somedude

Forum Ride Along
Agreement sounds good buddy. Intresting conversation tonight. Well take care and have a good night...and dont be working too hard....

cakilcrease

Forum Probie
there are those of us who cannot give morphine or anything like that, some times o2 is the only option. and even if it is a "placebo" the way i have been taught and the way i have been practicing is that we are to not only provide care up to the point that we are allowed to but to also provide assurance that we do everything that we can do for them not to just give them the blanket of assurance that we are and just sit back and roll our eyes. i for one am a big believer in o2 therapy.