Other jobs/sidework

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I refuse to work OT at the full time place so the side money is nice.
If you don't mind me asking, why not?

For me, OT has been more money than the side jobs, but it was never guaranteed, and I would rather take guaranteed 12 hours of less hourly wage than time and a half for 12 hour that may or may not be available on my day off.

Similarly, I never worked last minute or forced OT, but I was all in favor of scheduled OT, which I chose to pick up should I decide to.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I never worked last minute or forced OT, but I was all in favor of scheduled OT, which I chose to pick up should I decide to.
Agreed, though my "side job" is "ground" paramedic work now, so I don't know if that's considered a side job or not.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

For me, OT has been more money than the side jobs, but it was never guaranteed, and I would rather take guaranteed 12 hours of less hourly wage than time and a half for 12 hour that may or may not be available on my day off.

Similarly, I never worked last minute or forced OT, but I was all in favor of scheduled OT, which I chose to pick up should I decide to.

I get enough of the ambulance on my normal shifts. I like teaching and it's for 4 or 8 hours instead of 12+ hours like OT on the ambulance is. I still make plenty of extra $$ without being away from the family as long. My wife teaches full time at the same place i do part time so I get to harass her more as well. It's a win win.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

One 24hr OT shift for me is $1200, and it's available 3-5 times per month. But it's also almost guaranteed to be a busy station (18ish per shift), and the sleep deprivation adds up quickly when added in to the normal shifts. Some guys work every one. I've taken one this entire year. I'd rather have significantly less money and not hate life, them have loaded pockets but be incessantly irritable. Besides, teaching is enjoyable and I feel like I can help make a dent in some of the poor information being spread.

Edit: Yeah, what shfd said. Between myself, and he and his wife on the other branch of our program, I think we manage to reach quite a few medics ;) Especially with how many classes his side pushes out o_O

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
One 24hr OT shift for me is $1200, and it's available 3-5 times per month. But it's also almost guaranteed to be a busy station (18ish per shift), and the sleep deprivation adds up quickly when added in to the normal shifts. Some guys work every one. I've taken one this entire year. I'd rather have significantly less money and not hate life, them have loaded pockets but be incessantly irritable. Besides, teaching is enjoyable and I feel like I can help make a dent in some of the poor information being spread.

Edit: Yeah, what shfd said. Between myself, and he and his wife on the other branch of our program, I think we manage to reach quite a few medics ;) Especially with how many classes his side pushes out o_O

Yep same for me. A 12HR OT shift is about double what an 8hr teaching day is. But that means 12hrs in an ambulance bouncing between street corners, getting run in the ground and usually getting off late. I get enough of that on my regular shift lol.

So I'll take the teaching. The influence we have with these medic students is amazing and it's nice to be able to steer them in the right direction and set them up for success.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm in a little bit of weird spot right now in that I'm still an EMT at my side jobs but a paramedic at my fulltime place. So working OT works way more sense than picking up a part time EMT shift, though I prefer to work at a different agency for my extra hours. I love my coworkers, but there's 15 of them total and that can get a little old.