Options if you fail test for recert (days away from Mar 31)

sstatler

Forum Probie
Ijust took the emt b test for recert...and stopped at question 70/71 and I kinda feel like I failed...I felt like I had a lot of OB questions...which is my weakness, and difficult ped triage questions.

I feel like so many people state they feel they didnt pass but then did...and when I initially took the test 2 years ago I passed at questions 78 the first time...

Maybe I am worrying about nothing.. :)

I read if you are still state certified (which I am), you can just take a refresher and recert...(or is it refresher + CEU's done in the last 2 years?)...

Ive also thought that 70 questions was bare minimum for emtb test...but Ive been reading people passing at 60 etc...I thought it would make you take 70 questions no matter what?

Yes, my BP is sky high. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Yeah... how'd you do?

If you fail, you have to do the standard refresher recert process. I think there is a way to do it "late" - but I'm not sure.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's refresher plus CEUs. Not just the refresher, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "difficult ped triage questions"? Pediatric triage is no different from adult triage unless I totally missed a section during my MCI lecture and drill during school.

Good luck dude, let us know how you did. Everyone always feels like they failed that test. You'd have to bomb it pretty badly to have it cut you off at 71 questions though so hopefully that is a good sign for ya!

Maybe not wait until the last minute next time? ;) That's coming from the king of procrastination btw.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually no, triage is not the same for pediatrics. Look up JumpStart triage which is specific for children

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Actually no, triage is not the same for pediatrics. Look up JumpStart triage which is specific for children

I've never heard of that. I know for a fact it isn't commonly taught in EMS programs, so I highly doubt it would be on the NREMT exam.

Cool to see though, thanks for the link! I'll have to spend some time reading up on it.

We use START, for peds and adults alike and it seems to work just fine. We've gotten enough damn practice in the last year or so unfortunately.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Hrmm we had both Start and JumpSTART when i was in school. Always assumed it was standard.