Oops!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
[youtube]-dkNXabcSfw[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dkNXabcSfw&feature=related

This came across the Firefighter Close Calls email list today. This is out of Southern Ohio on wet/icy roads.

Remember to slow down and drive safe, folks! We can't help anyone if we don't get to the scene.

Last edited by a moderator:

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Just a weee bit too fast for the conditions??

imurphy

Forum Captain
Bah! He didn't even make a full 360! He should try harder!

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
bad juju... thats not supposed to happen

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
good song, I'd be happy that I didn't roll it and say good enough. Roads that icy sometimes there's just not a whole lot you can do but yeah probably a tad quick.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Both drivers should be fired and lose certification. That was completely idiotic and unsafe. I can not believe people are so unprofessional and ignorant to think that laws of physics do not apply to them.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Both drivers should be fired and lose certification. That was completely idiotic and unsafe. I can not believe people are so unprofessional and ignorant to think that laws of physics do not apply to them.

I'm going to go on a limb and guess that you live in a southern state, correct?

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm going to go on a limb and guess that you live in a southern state, correct?

That's not a lack of ice, Marine. It's a lack of understanding that ice, and water are slippery, especially on an oily road.

Don't blame the south >:O!

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Just a couple weeks ago we had ice to the point that I hit my antilock brakes at 20mph and came to a stop 1.5 miles down the road. At a certain point crap happens when ice is involved, I'm sure anyone that lives in an area that receives that amount of ice is fully aware of the physics involved in driving on such. I personally think the driver did a fine job keeping the vehicle on the roadway without hitting anything.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just a couple weeks ago we had ice to the point that I hit my antilock brakes at 20mph and came to a stop 1.5 miles down the road. At a certain point crap happens when ice is involved, I'm sure anyone that lives in an area that receives that amount of ice is fully aware of the physics involved in driving on such. I personally think the driver did a fine job keeping the vehicle on the roadway without hitting anything.

Oh no no no. I was referring to the whole lack of understanding to the poster who said that their licenses should be revoked.

I understand ice is slippery, wet, and bad things happen!

medic417

The Truth Provider

Honestly the driver was not in control. They got lucky.

emtbill

Forum Crew Member
The best part is the stupid wacker filming while following the ambulance POV because he thought it would be cool, and then having to tear up someone's yard so he doesn't hit the truck himeself! haha...

Kendall

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly the driver was not in control. They got lucky.

While driving on icy roads, its difficult to stay in control period, it doesn't matter how slowly you are going. I can vouch, I live in Edmonton!

Good job to the driver for not hitting anyone, not rolling his truck and staying on the road!

Buzz

Forum Captain
You're never really driving on icy roads. You might be out on them moving around, but you're really just waiting to hit something--at least, that's how I look at it.

Not too long ago, we had a rapid drop in temperature out here on I-94 in an area the service I work for does 911 coverage for. We'd gotten dispatched for an accident in the same location we'd just heard two other units sent just minutes before. While rolling up on the scene, we stopped at the first accident in the location and hop out and proceed up to the car. No patients. I walk over to the state trooper sitting in his vehicle and ask if he knew if anyone had called EMS. He directed us up to another accident further down the road. We notified our dispatcher, who, by this time, had sent all available units to the area. We stop at another multi-car pile up on the side of an on-ramp and were sent onward by fire because all occupants were uninjured. At that multi-car pile up, two pumpers and a rescue were also hit. We received an order to just drive and "find an accident with patients." My partner turns around at the edge of our district and begins heading back west. The roads were icy, so we were doing about 20-30mph... around the same speed as everyone else, just that we were running with our lights on. Maintaining that speed seemed safe, until we hit a particular spot in which we started to slide more than was normal for the time. My partner reduces speed to around 15mph, and we started to spin and drift towards a wall. His attempt at correcting the spin nearly made us flip--we two-wheeled it twice.

All of this on roads that looked just wet, had no snow on them, and at what should have been a safe speed. Obviously it's not a safe speed, if you have no control of the vehicle at the time, but on a giant sheet of ice, the only control you're going to have is if you're sitting still. We would slide if we tried to stop quickly even from idling speed.

OP
OP
Jon

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The best part is the stupid wacker filming while following the ambulance POV because he thought it would be cool, and then having to tear up someone's yard so he doesn't hit the truck himeself! haha...

Actually... the camera looks far too steady... maybe it is a chief officer with a drivecam?

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member

I don't understand why it's assumed to be a "stupid wacker [sic]". This is clearly a dash mount cam and could even be one on a LEO car. Furthermore, the driver of the dash cam vehicle was smart enough not to brake and drive around the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I live in Washington state and completely understand what happened to these guys. You can be driving along just fine with good traction an all of a sudden hit black ice. Just like that, bam! No traction.

Excellent driving skills there!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't understand why it's assumed to be a "stupid wacker [sic]". This is clearly a dash mount cam and could even be one on a LEO car. Furthermore, the driver of the dash cam vehicle was smart enough not to brake and drive around the situation.

It must be. If you look at the traffic sign on the right sire of the road as the rig spins around, you can see lights reflected in it. These can't be from the ambulance as it would only reflect if thesighn was viewed from the same locaton as the source of the light. That means that the lights must be on the vehicle with the cam.