Oops, I didn't say that.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
There are quite a few times as a teacher and EMT that I say "Oh crap, I just didn't say that."

Here are my two stories... I want to hear yours.

Today I met with the ambulance service to discuss updating the website. We got the new Stryker Bariatric Stretcher, and I guess that now makes us a "Bariatric transport company." I asked if they had a name for the unit, and no one replied. Thinking of Jon's suggestion of FART, I said it out loud... "What about Fat *** Retrieval Team?" Not a single person laughed.

We got called to a nose bleed, and the thing wouldn't stop. I mean it REALLY wouldn't stop. My partner, who had only worked for a month or so as an EMT, asked the patient's mom if she had any tampons. I had no clue what to say or do. She gave him a dirty look. He then went on to describe how in the boyscouts they say you can stick a tampon up someones nose to stop a bleed. I had no clue what to say. I got my HIPAA signature and bolted.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Don't knock the tampon thing.... soliders have recently been using them to stop bleeding in high-velocity penetrating trauma.

they ARE designed to soak up blood :D

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
ROFL, Matt, no one laughed? You've got to me kidding me. You sure they had pulses?? The tampon thing does work, but it's better if you don't tell them what they are lol.

I don't have any "did I just say that" things happen that I can think of, although I do it all the time, but I have a nickname already at the stations.

During EVOC, I kept opening the cabinet door instead of the side door to get into the side of the box. Of course I'm usually talking to someone so I step up to get in without looking and bash my head on the shelf. People think this is funny when they see it and now everyone knows I'm coming out of the closet. :rolleyes:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
We have them too. Like, 3 different kinds. But no condoms. I had a health services student ask me once if we had any condoms. I had to tell her "nope" and she really was curious as to why. It was honestly something that I had never thought of.
I know, there's the whole line between 'health care provider' and 'sex education' but I can't think of any reasons to *not* keep a couple around. At the very least, they make great water balloons. heh.

Personally I'd rather have some teenager come up to us and ask for a condom than wind up risking pregnancy or an STD. Although, maybe this should be in a different thread (ha ha ha I am the evil threadthief!) - what do you guys think?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
MMiz said:
We got called to a nose bleed, and the thing wouldn't stop. I mean it REALLY wouldn't stop.

Take a piece of gauze, roll it up, stick it in the space between the gums and the top lip. The pressure from the gauze cuts off the veins leading to the nose.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Nasal tampons... yes, that is what they are called, have been around for several, several years. I agree the kling works great.. along with some cold packs... as long as it is not a posterior bleed.

R/r 911

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
We tried gauze and cold packs. The lady was actually coming home from the hospital for the problem. Her nose started bleeding when we got about a block away from the granny stacker.

We dropped her off in the care of the NH staff, get back in the truck, and then hear an ALS RLS call go out for our patient.

The hospital ended up having in inflate some balloons to stop the bleeding.

I was working with a new partner, and this patient had Hep C. This lady would bleed, which would go into her trachea, and then she'd caugh in an attempt to get the blood out. I told my partner to put a mask on her. He refused. When I was pulling out the cot and he was grabbing the wheels, she took a huge sneeze and covered him in blood. Stupid kid.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't remember the exact sequence of conversation that led up to this, although I know it was completely innocent (up to this point) but one of the other students in my EMT class said "girls suck", and then I said "I hope so". That was my "did I just say that out loud" moment. :)

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Oh I have I got one-

I was a new EMT Student doing my first ride along and there was this conversation about kissing the EMS Directors *** - well about the time his wife walks into the room, I ask out loud - do I have to kiss S----'s *** for real? They all got these looks on their faces and I turn around and theres his wife. Oops and oh guess what, my preceptor assigns me to his unit for the night. :blink: