Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly

Sumner

Forum Ride Along
EMT-B as of 03/14.The private organization I attended is has a recurring paramedic program every January. All of my teachers made it seem like paramedic school was the hardest thing in your life. I want to go for my paramedic but i feel like I'm not ready of it or that I'll fail miserably. Any input?

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
EMT-B as of 03/14.The private organization I attended is has a recurring paramedic program every January. All of my teachers made it seem like paramedic school was the hardest thing in your life. I want to go for my paramedic but i feel like I'm not ready of it or that I'll fail miserably. Any input?

What kind of program is it? Degree or cert. Format ? Online, hybrid, classroom
What is your life experience?
What is your education?
Do you plan on working while attending school?
Are you going full time or part time?
Which state are you in and have you looked into any other schools?
What distractions will you have? Family, friends, etc.

Without knowing a bit about you it is hard to give more arvice than...

Medic school can be difficult for some and easy for others. Paramedic texts are written at about the 10th grade level. Those with post secondary education usually have an easier time... especially if they took anatomy & Physiology, chemistry, pathophysiology, microbiology and similar classes as what you learn in medic school is based off of these sciences. It is also important to have good time management skills, and know what kind of learning style you have.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
That's a deep headline for just asking about paramedic school... Not quite what I was expecting.

What Tim said. In short, some find it incredibly easy, while others struggle and can't wrap their minds around the concepts. Everybody has different strengths and weaknesses.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member

I would suggest that you ask your supervisors for their advice. Would they encourage you to start in the class next January, or would they encourage you to wait?

Don't rely completely on the opinions of others, but sometimes those who know your work performance (and skill level) can make a valuable suggestion as to whether to do something now or wait until you build up more experience.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Success and Luck favor those who prepare.

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
Medic school is more difficult because it prepares the student to work in a dynamic environment in a short period of time with a wealth of information.

So... "Failure to plan is planning to fail."

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Sumner

Sumner

Forum Ride Along
What kind of program is it? Degree or cert. Format ? Online, hybrid, classroom
What is your life experience?
What is your education?
Do you plan on working while attending school?
Are you going full time or part time?
Which state are you in and have you looked into any other schools?
What distractions will you have? Family, friends, etc.

Without knowing a bit about you it is hard to give more arvice than...

Medic school can be difficult for some and easy for others. Paramedic texts are written at about the 10th grade level. Those with post secondary education usually have an easier time... especially if they took anatomy & Physiology, chemistry, pathophysiology, microbiology and similar classes as what you learn in medic school is based off of these sciences. It is also important to have good time management skills, and know what kind of learning style you have.

For me, the AOOS EMT textbook was incredibly easy to understand. The material was easy but my teacher's tests were extremely challenging. It was not exactly knowledge based, it was scenario based and every answer was a viable answer. The NREMT is a joke in comparison.
I'll go ahead and give you more information that requested (in order asked.)t's a certification program, nothing more nothing less. 100% online 3-4 nights a week over a year. This is at an institution about an hours drive so that is something to take into consideration. I'm 20, did alright in high school. I could have achieved a higher status but I honestly didn't give a :censored::censored::censored::censored:. I spent a little bit of time in college before leaving with something like a 3.8 GPA. The college I attended was for specific majors and it was just not for me. I do need to work during school, right now I'm in between private jobs (original one shouldn't have hired me because they literally gave me 0 hours after training.)
Really don't see any possible distractions, I tend to deal with problems up front.

I know there is no time like the present, but I'm probably going to wait until January of 2016. It seems like forever away and maybe I'll change my mind by then but I could use the time to increase my knowledge. At this time I'm pretty much just trying to increase my reading speed. It's alright, but it could always be better. Probably take a few classes at my local college as well.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
For me, the AOOS EMT textbook was incredibly easy to understand. The material was easy but my teacher's tests were extremely challenging. It was not exactly knowledge based, it was scenario based and every answer was a viable answer. The NREMT is a joke in comparison.

I'll go ahead and give you more information that requested (in order asked.)t's a certification program, nothing more nothing less. 100% online 3-4 nights a week over a year. This is at an institution about an hours drive so that is something to take into consideration. I'm 20, did alright in high school. I could have achieved a higher status but I honestly didn't give a :censored::censored::censored::censored:. I spent a little bit of time in college before leaving with something like a 3.8 GPA. The college I attended was for specific majors and it was just not for me. I do need to work during school, right now I'm in between private jobs (original one shouldn't have hired me because they literally gave me 0 hours after training.)

Really don't see any possible distractions, I tend to deal with problems up front.

I know there is no time like the present, but I'm probably going to wait until January of 2016. It seems like forever away and maybe I'll change my mind by then but I could use the time to increase my knowledge. At this time I'm pretty much just trying to increase my reading speed. It's alright, but it could always be better. Probably take a few classes at my local college as well.

Best of luck to you. Furthering your education is one of the best decisions you can make. Taking some or all of the classes I mentioned will give you a great foundation.