Online certifications

mospensa

Forum Probie
Hi I am currently serving active duty in the Army as a medic and I am going to deploy in a couple months to Afghanistan. Normally I am against this kind of training but when I have no other options well... I guess I need to figure out my options..

I am going to have a lot of down time while I am deployed and access to the internet (most likely). Once I return I will only have about a year before I start transitioning back into the civilian world. I plan on going to school for Paramedic. until then I need to get as proficient as possible. Being an army medic with a great Doc (an ER physician) I am trained and skilled in many ALS procedures but sadly I am certified in nothing more than NREMTB. I need certifications to go into my resume and in general to build me into a better medic.

I am looking for any certifications available online. if possible, ACLS, PALS, AEMT, Trauma Life support, or anything really that would transition to Real World credit.

I Realize that most certifications with any kind of accreditation behind them will most likely require clinical so its unlikely I will find very many helpful EMS courses online.

Thanks ahead for any help.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You might be better served by taking some online courses in anatomy, physiology, or pharmacology.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I am looking for any certifications available online. if possible, ACLS, PALS, AEMT, Trauma Life support, or anything really that would transition to Real World credit..

Some of these classes are not open to EMT-B.

I suggest you forget about these merit badge courses and take some real online university courses.

Start with General Chemistry and A&P.

bigbaldguy

Even if they were open to basics you wouldn't get a lot out of most of them. Listen to vent he knows of that which he speaks. Take some college courses, if possible take some of the prerequisite classes for a 2 year paramedic program. I'm really wishing I had anatomy physiology under my belt at the moment.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
You might be better served by taking some online courses in anatomy, physiology, or pharmacology.

Some of these classes are not open to EMT-B.

I suggest you forget about these merit badge courses and take some real online university courses.

Start with General Chemistry and A&P.

As they said, focus on education. University A&P, microbiology, chemistry, pathophysiology will give you a good foundation. Understanding why you are doing something makes it easier to understand.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Nope no good it doesn't come with crayons :(

F*** crayons.

If you want a coloring book come out and visit. You can have the free one I got from some book bundle deal.

bigbaldguy

F*** crayons.

If you want a coloring book come out and visit. You can have the free one I got from some book bundle deal.

Hey you learn your way I'll learn mine ;) when I really want to cram I use those fuzzy poster where you can't go outside the lines. Those things are awesome.

I might just take you up on that offer if they ever clear me to fly again.

OP
OP
M

mospensa

Forum Probie
Thanks for the quick replies. I took an A+P for EMRs back in college while I was in school for Basic. I'm sure it would do me well to take A+P again since its been a few years. Back home there is a really good 2 year Paramedic program that I plan on going to.

They offer ACLS for army medics but the class is always full from flight medics and 20 levels (Ive been begging since I got here) of course I have had ECG interpretation classes even a few cardiac life support protocol classes taught by Flight medics or my Doc. There is a 4 month Paramedic program that they have been pushing the Flight medics through as well. Even through I cringe at the idea of someone on an ambulance with minimal pt care experience who just went through a 4 monther. It would be nice if the army would send me to paramedic on their time. (just like I cringe at the thought of the kids who go into 68W school with literally no previous experience and they get processed through EMTB in a few weeks with pt contact replaced by SIM-MAN contact) (I have a few years prior service EMS time)

I'm planning on going to the education center on post soon, making a list of classes I need before going to talk to the civilians up there to streamline that process.

I'm open for any ideas. anything that helped you become a better medic, I'm interested in it.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Thanks for the quick replies. I took an A+P for EMRs back in college while I was in school for Basic. I'm sure it would do me well to take A+P again since its been a few years. Back home there is a really good 2 year Paramedic program that I plan on going to.

They offer ACLS for army medics but the class is always full from flight medics and 20 levels (Ive been begging since I got here) of course I have had ECG interpretation classes even a few cardiac life support protocol classes taught by Flight medics or my Doc. There is a 4 month Paramedic program that they have been pushing the Flight medics through as well. Even through I cringe at the idea of someone on an ambulance with minimal pt care experience who just went through a 4 monther. It would be nice if the army would send me to paramedic on their time. (just like I cringe at the thought of the kids who go into 68W school with literally no previous experience and they get processed through EMTB in a few weeks with pt contact replaced by SIM-MAN contact) (I have a few years prior service EMS time)

I'm planning on going to the education center on post soon, making a list of classes I need before going to talk to the civilians up there to streamline that process.

I'm open for any ideas. anything that helped you become a better medic, I'm interested in it.

I can sum up ACLS class in 246 words, you won't get much from it.

Gen chem will give you the most nag for the buck to get through medic.

Really for get those little 2 day courses, they are worthless except as required by employers to show you "have had training."

Plus, by taking the college courses, you work towards a degree on Army time. Don't know but they might even pay for part of it.

Not to mention if you do a bunch of science prereqs if you ultimately decide to go into nursing or whatever, you'll have the basic prereqs done.

If you stay in the Army you are that much closer getting out of the enlisted ranks.

ACLS will not do that for you.

medic417

The Truth Provider
www.percomonline.com

Get your education while over there. Jane that owns it works well with people that put in the effort.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
It would also submit that Microbiology was pretty damn useful in medic school, though the chem was a requirement to get into the course.