Odd situations as an ER tech

EMTT760

Forum Probie
I recently started as an E.R. Tech at a local hospital. So far, I've manged to work a grave yard shift and it was very interesting to say the least. I definitely did and saw things that I didn't expect nor was I trained to do. Such as applying orthoglass splints, which I was told I would not do unless trained. Then setting up a lumbar puncture kit. But of course when a P.A. or M.D. expects something of you do it! luckily another tech helped me out.

The training is more or less figuring things out on the job. We had 3 hours formal instruction, mainly documentation.

That being said. I'm in a predicament as I work for a temp agency. It's hard to get steady shifts or really make any income,as they've hired a huge surplus of EMT's.

I feel like while I'm getting great hands on experience. I dislike the whole " standby" aspect of being a contracted agent out. I wana stick it out, but I feel like I should just focus on schooling.

Last edited:

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
What's the question?

Also, the docs and PAs might not know you haven't been trained to do things they ask for. Don't be afraid to let them know. But as far ED skillz go, its see one do one teach one.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Also, the docs and PAs might not know you haven't been trained to do things they ask for. Don't be afraid to let them know. But as far ED skillz go, its see one do one teach one.
Quoted for truth. You learn a lot on the fly.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Also, the docs and PAs might not know you haven't been trained to do things they ask for. Don't be afraid to let them know.

This. If you don't know ask. Especially if its something that you've never seen or done before. Most people are understanding and will be happy to show you how to do a skill that you've never done before.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It is true that you learn on the fly.

But at the same time, doing something you don't know how to do can be potentially dangerous to the patient. Don't be afraid to stop and tell the doc or PA that you have never done it before.

I'm having visions of setting up an LP kit with non-sterile technique.......

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
It's much less embarrassing to say "I don't know" than to eff up after trying to fake it. My life (not just medicine) became so much easier when I became comfortable saying those words.

It is true that you learn on the fly.

But at the same time, doing something you don't know how to do can be potentially dangerous to the patient. Don't be afraid to stop and tell the doc or PA that you have never done it before.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

Oh crap that's a sterile procedure?!

On a more serious note, a LOT of the learning in the ED is done on the fly, for both new nurses and techs. If you don't know how to do something, ask!

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, please, if you don't know how to do something let someone know. As Remi said, there are quite a few things that need to be sterile and to screw it up can harm the pt. No one like to put bacteria in a nice clean subdural space. This is why I like to set up my own stuff. I have no idea what happened to it before I got in the room. There have been times where I have walked in and caught families playing with sterile equipment.