Occlusive dressings

MotorCity

Forum Ride Along
What are some different materials have you used to make a good/effective occlusive dressing? No commercial devices please.

Combat_Medic

Forum Crew Member
My go to improvised occlusive dressing is an MRA package. There are always plenty of them laying around. But thats just the military way.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
vasoline gauze and the foil packaging it comes in.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I've just always used the wrapper off of a 4x4". It's generally water-resistant enough to work and you tend to have ready access.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
It takes a second and a pair of scissors, but the oxygen reservoir bag from an NRB has worked great for me.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Pretty much anything that can make a tight seal. A glove, 4x4 dressing paper, O2 wrapper, etc.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Defibrillation pad

Had a bird shot to the chest patient. We used EKG patches to seal all the holes. The nurses looked at us weird when they saw the 10 patches all around the guys chest.

AlphaButch

Forum Lieutenant
My go to improvised occlusive dressing is an MRA package. There are always plenty of them laying around. But thats just the military way.

think you mean MRE right? lol

Pretty much used whatever was handy and would seal. Torn piece off my poncho, MRE packaging, etc.

The one time I thought I'd have to get real creative, I was reaching for my pack of cigarettes to use the plastic outer wrap but one of the line medics had an actual seal handy.

Haven't had the occasion to use one here in the states, but I have a Bolin seal on the truck.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
My ex-Ranger buddy said his doc used a bloody sock once.

Can't get much less commercial than that.

18G

Paramedic
The clear plastic backing to some trauma dressings (packaging) would work well.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Our rigs have vaseline dressings I just throw on with the foil and tape it down. There are also Asherman chest seals, but I have never opened one up.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Had a bird shot to the chest patient. We used EKG patches to seal all the holes. The nurses looked at us weird when they saw the 10 patches all around the guys chest.

Eh, I would have looked at your funny too....unless it's bigger than a dime or actively bubbling air, you really have no reason to put an occlusive dressing over it. Generally things under the that size (roughly two-thirds the size of the lumen of the trachea) tend to not have sufficient surface area to truly pose a threat.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That's a bit dangerous- even small holes can be dangerous. Unless you're constantly monitoring every hole at all times, you always need to exercise basic preventative maintenance and seal the hole.

I've used a glove secured with gorilla tape. Gorilla tape works really, really well.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
That's a bit dangerous- even small holes can be dangerous

Got anything to back that up? Now, if that hole is backed up by a lacerated mainstem bronchus, it is dangerous but because of the underlying injury not because of the hole.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Eh, I would have looked at your funny too....unless it's bigger than a dime or actively bubbling air, you really have no reason to put an occlusive dressing over it. Generally things under the that size (roughly two-thirds the size of the lumen of the trachea) tend to not have sufficient surface area to truly pose a threat.
Wouldn't multiple holes that equal a greater surface area when combined pose a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Only 2 of the holes were actively bubbling. But just as a precaution we threw on more occlusive dressings over all the holes.

OP
OP
M

MotorCity

Forum Ride Along
Completely sealing the hole (electrode) does no good for the patient. During exhalation air will be pushed between the lungs and chest wall. Right?

I've always used the vasoline 3x3 and foil wrapper. But can air escape that well enough?