observitory ridealong

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
I am going to be doing an observitory ridealong with a local ems crew and want to know what to expect. How to stay out of the way but how to still see what is going on and learn something as well.
Thanks

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
There are times to stay out of the way, as you said, but you could also look for opportunities to help, depending on what you already know how to do. If you're an EMT student, you could offer to take vitals, start O2, assist with lifts, carry supplies, and clean up. What you shouldn't do is try to impress the crew with your knowledge, experience, or connections.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Are you an EMT student? Certified new hire? Politician? Interested layperson?

OP
OP
N

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
I am a first responder student. That will finish up in may and then I am going to sign up for my emt. I spoke with my instructor and the person he is putting me with may alow me to do vitals and little things. I am just worried about being in the way as this is a great passoin of myne and I want to learn as much as possible.

OP
OP
N

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
There are times to stay out of the way, as you said, but you could also look for opportunities to help, depending on what you already know how to do. If you're an EMT student, you could offer to take vitals, start O2, assist with lifts, carry supplies, and clean up. What you shouldn't do is try to impress the crew with your knowledge, experience, or connections.

Thank you.

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
Don't worry too much about it. They'll know you're a student and will probably have a general idea about what you're allowed to do. After the first call, you'll know where your place is.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
The fact that you're concerned about being in the way means you probably won't get in the way. Most students I've seen "get in the way" are too arrogant to think that they could do such a thing.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
To the newbie:

Go ahead and jump in when you feel comfortable.

Do what everyone on the ambulance does...LISTEN TO THE LEAD EMT.

Go ahead and jump in and say "Do you want me to help take vitals?" If you see that they could use the help. Offer to carry bags. (O2 bags or the "Aid Bag")

WHEN you ask for them to show you the unit, don't just let them give you a quick once-over if they have the time to show you everything.

Know where the bags are, then know where the rest of the equipment is. Ask lots of questions. Ask if they can show you how to pull the stretcher out and put it back in. They might not let you transport the stretcher back to the Ambo, but they will probably let you be the stretcher-fetcher so they can stay with the PT if need be. Learn how to grab it and drop it lower it.

If you're not comfortable taking vitals, take one of your crew's BP and such.

Learn how to use the Pulse-Ox and the glucometer.

If someone asks for some gauze or a bandaid. Be able to give it. The PT doesn't know you're a student, don't let them know you're a student.

Keep your hands out of your pockets and stick with your lead.

To the rest of EMTlife: Is that a good answer? This is just what I wish I was told, I'm doing my 5th night of ride-alongs this week.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
To the rest of EMTlife: Is that a good answer? This is just what I wish I was told, I'm doing my 5th night of ride-alongs this week.

Generally a good answer, but I disagree with the last part of this....

If someone asks for some gauze or a bandaid. Be able to give it. The PT doesn't know you're a student, don't let them know you're a student.

I'm of the camp that believes you should always be upfront as to what your status is as a student and/or provider. Of course, be able to give out bandaids, but I think you should always introduce yourself as a student and if someone is uncomfortable with you doing something because you are one, it's their right to refuse.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm of the camp that believes you should always be upfront as to what your status is as a student and/or provider. Of course, be able to give out bandaids, but I think you should always introduce yourself as a student and if someone is uncomfortable with you doing something because you are one, it's their right to refuse.

This... When I introduce myself when working at the volunteer clinic or with the standardized patients, I'm always, "I'm JPINFV, your first year medical student," not, "I'm Dr. JPINFV."

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm with JP on this. Always introduce yourself with your title. If that title includes "student" or "Intern", so be it. Let the patient decide if you're to be involved in their care. Be up front and professional about it, and you will probably get more people allowing you to help care for them than not, and they'll probably be happy to help you learn.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
I was taught to just say that I was with my VFD.

Although, I'm not technically a ride-along with my VFD. I'm just an uncertified member.

But to avoid further argument, just ask your Lead how you should introduce yourself, or if they feel you should even be talking to the PT.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Introduce yourself as a student. Don't want a patient getting pissed because they find out your a student later.

That is the first thing I do when I am on shift for medic school "Hi, I'm Trevor, I'm a paramedic student. What is going on today?"

I'm already an EMT, but I just introduce myself as student because most people dont understand the ALS-BLS difference.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm already an EMT, but I just introduce myself as student because most people dont understand the ALS-BLS difference.

Regardless, if you're on a clinical as an paramedic student, then you aren't functioning as an EMT. You're a student functioning as a paramedic while under supervision.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
For the person who said "just jump right in"....not sure thats a great idea, especially if someone isnt an actual EMT student. When I was doing my clinicals I always errored on the side of staying out of the way. Sometimes you can learn more by observing then by participating. When you are actively involved you focus on whatever task youre doing and might miss some things that are useful to know and see, especially about patient assessment, which is one of the most important things to learn.

Some students seem to think clinicals are a try out, or a chance to show off some skills they learned in class. I dont see it that way. You arent gonna impress the crew you're riding with.

I would stand back and watch the first couple calls, go fetch whatever gear they need. Maybe later when you know the routine a little bit, before you go on your next call ask them if it's ok to do something like take vitals.

Use common sense...If you walk into a house and theres an unresponsive pregnant woman who looks cyanotic laying there, probably a good time to stay out of the EMT's way unless they ask you to do something.
I would also make sure you identify yourself as a student to the patient if youre introducing yourself. Dont just say im with the ambulance, or im with EMS.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
I guess I could say EMT student...

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
Same camp

I am in the same camp, more or less, as xgpt. I am 15, with my birthday coming up in roughly a month. I will be doing ridealong's with the local volunteer fire department, and other then listen to the lead EMT, what should I do? I have first aid knowledge from Boy Scout courses, but can ultimately do little more then CPR, bandaging/splinting, and very minimal triage. Would I be more helpful in asking to do the menial tasks and freeing up the EMT, or should I move only when told to do so?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
At first - wait until you are told to do something. Offer to do things you are completely comfortable with, but don't be a pain in the bum.

Once your preceptors have a better feel for who you are, what you can do and whether or not they trust you, they will likely let you know whether or not you should just jump in as needed or follow their direction more.