NREMT

scotty vidrine

Forum Ride Along
Do we really need this private entity??? WHat are they doing for the profession??

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
They allow for a set of national testing standards that sets the bar for most states. This produces several things:

1.) It often allows nremt certified persons to move to other states and gain certification or licensure without additional requirements, so they can get a job and start working as soon as they move

2.) It forces most of the state's with older protocols to come up to date. If many or all of the EMS personnel in a state continue learning "the registry way", then in a backwards state, the personnel would be more current on techniques and data, whereas the state might be behind that. This allows for all of the EMS personnel in that state to force the state to come up to date (with the exception of California, apparently ;) )

3.) It allows for states to save money by not having their own test. Having a state test would mean constant research to update questions, oversight of the exam, testing standards, publishing of the test, reading results and probably someone in the room during the exams to ensure no one is cheating.

4.) It begins the conversation on EMS being "professional". Step 1 is a national governing body, Step 2 is educational standards. NREMT is slowly pushing for both. They want to become the national governing body, and they are pushing for standards in education very slowly.

5.) They do research that is nationally based and not just state-wide. For example, if you live in a state like WV where there is a ton of coal mining, you might thing that it is normal to see so many cases of lung disease. Whereas, the results look differently when you look at the US as a whole.

6.) They bring a nationalized standard to certification levels. You might have an EMT-I86, EMT-I99, EMT-I, AEMT and several other names for similar certifications. This makes it difficult for the public, hospital staff and other public safety agencies to understand what the role of certain certifications are. Also, it makes it difficult for a mid-level EMS provider to switch states, as it is difficult for the new state to ascertain the curriculum and scope of practice for the certification level of the old state.

Some states don't require national registry (my state of Ohio does not) and some places do (I think Washington DC does). If you are in an area that allows you to choose, then just choose not to. If you are in an area that does, then just do it: it's required.

Personally, I do choose to support them, because I value what I feel they are accomplishing. I am not affiliated with them other than being a member/being registered.