NR Test

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
Scheduled to take my NR AEMT test on Thursday. The format is totally different from my Basic test. I know 3 that have taken and passed it.

heresay

Forum Crew Member
Please let us know how it goes. I go for my Advanced test in about a month. Good luck!

OP
OP
A

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
Well I took my test and it did not go well. I did not pass. Taking it pretty hard, not sure if I am going to try again or not. :(

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Well I took my test and it did not go well. I did not pass. Taking it pretty hard, not sure if I am going to try again or not. :(
Failure isn't falling down, it's refusing to get back up. Figure out where you struggled, really work on those skills and that knowledge, and re-test.

Good luck!

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
Learn what you missed!!! You have an opportunity to re-learn what you don't know. Don't get down about it. Kick yourself in the butt and stay awake studying for a few weeks. You can do it!

JoshMM

Forum Probie
Don't give up man. I know many people who didn't pass it until the 3rd time. One FF I know had to do a refresher. It is definitely a hard test. Just try and remember what the focus of the questions were and study study study for the next attempt.

--Josh

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Part of taking the NREMT is learning how to take it. A lot of the scenario based questions want to make sure you follow the proper steps. Example:

You're dispatched to a man down in his front yard at blah blah blah street. Your first step on arrival is:

A) check his airway
B) maintain c-spine precautions
C) scene safety
D) control bleeding
E) intubate and call a chopper

You can usually rule a few out. However what most people do is focus on the patient, forgetting BSI, scene safe, # of patients etc etc.

Nremt wants to make sure you follow those steps. When I took mine I wrote down all those steps on that white board and made sure for each scenario I followed them.

I found most of the other questions to be general knowledge. I never got any drug doses, but did get a lot of mechanism of action questions.

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
Dont take it to hard man. Every AEMT I know didnt pass that test until there second or third time. It is just to new. They are still tring to find a good way to teach it. So take it again I am sure you will get it.

OP
OP
A

AGill01

Forum Crew Member
As far as questions go, what was the test like? A lot or EKG and cardio stuff? Drugs?

The test had a lot of different questions. Cardic, medical, trauma, ob peds, airway, ambulance operations. It was not an adaptive test like my basic was so if I missed a question in an area I was not given another one from the same area. I had 136 questions and all of them had to be answered. I was able to flag questions for later review. I know some of the questions i got wrong. I was disappointed in my failing and will prolly not take it again cuz in less then 6 mos I will be a paramedic all the Advanced was going to do is put another certificate on my wall for the time being. I know that failing the test doesn't make me a bad EMT. I know where I struggle and will make damn sure I know it when it is time to take the Paramedic National Test. Thanks everyone for your support.

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
I am taking the AEMT test in a few months, and I wanted to ask you what makes the AEMT test so much different than the Basic. The reason I ask is because we are about half way through AEMT school, and I am not seeing that much of a difference between the two classes.

heresay

Forum Crew Member
I am taking the AEMT test in a few months, and I wanted to ask you what makes the AEMT test so much different than the Basic. The reason I ask is because we are about half way through AEMT school, and I am not seeing that much of a difference between the two classes.

I'll be taking it a a little less than a month and honestly I feel like aside from drugs, IV's, and a few basic EKG's I haven't learned one thing. I heat that's pretty status quo though.